Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-21, 06:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
II use it for internet since I don't have a smart phone and I love the big screen. I have to read physical books. I don't know why.
Sherry, you know I am in the same boat since I don't have a smartphone either (although planning to get one early 2022).

I think books are my escape from screens! It's more relaxing to me to have a book in my hands than to read off a screen. I also like to to "flip through," which you can't do easily on a screen.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 06:23 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Sherry, you know I am in the same boat since I don't have a smartphone either (although planning to get one early 2022).

I think books are my escape from screens! It's more relaxing to me to have a book in my hands than to read off a screen. I also like to to "flip through," which you can't do easily on a screen.
Yes, I love getting away from screens and flipping through.

I am STILL researching phones!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 05:04 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
... If you visit a book sale do you end up keeping the book or donating it back?
I do donate things back again sometimes, but it takes me a while to let go of them. The turnaround is faster if I wound up not wanting to finish the book.

I'm currently making steady efforts to downsize, and have realized that the mountain of books I was holding onto are just not necessary.

My reading preferences have shifted, so I let go of a lot of casual reading stuff that I don't want to revisit.

Thank goodness for the library, on many levels.
Old 11-12-21, 06:19 AM  
Carol K

I borrow all my books from the library as well. I stopped buying books years ago when I ran out of shelf space. I also thought I was the only one without a smartphone. I'll be getting one next month when T-Mobile retires the 3G network that my flip phone is on.
Old 11-12-21, 08:12 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I borrow all my books from the library as well. I stopped buying books years ago when I ran out of shelf space. I also thought I was the only one without a smartphone. I'll be getting one next month when T-Mobile retires the 3G network that my flip phone is on.
Carol, we are also on t-mobile flip phones; we thought they would retire us last year! I'm ready for a smartphone but DH is more reluctant. We are probably both going to get iphone SEs (the smallest cheapest iphone) and go with our cable carrier, Spectrum.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 08:44 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh my goodness once you ladies get situated with your smart phones you're going to say "why did I wait this long?"

We were "late bloomers" too. My phone died and it was either get a smart phone or a new flip, so I got inexpensive Moto G4s. DH hated it at first and now he loves it. I loved mine immediately.

On the topic of books - I'm reading A Familiar Sight by Brianna Labuskes (Prime first read) and might dump it half finished. It's the debut of a crime series featuring criminologist Dr. Gretchen White. I loathe her. On every page you are reminded she's a narcissistic sociopath.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 09:11 AM  
Carol K

I am on a Sprint plan, but T-Mobile bought Sprint. I will take whatever phone T-Mobile gives me for free.
Old 11-12-21, 10:00 AM  
Erica H.

I finished E.R. Nurses by James Patterson and liked it. Quick read but lots of things I never thought of before and very timely since we were just in the ER recently (unfortunately).

Starting The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music by Dave Grohl.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 10:54 AM  
Pam

When I was checking out a Little Library, someone else dropped off a few books and she highly recommended her Two Rivers by T Greenwood. After 50 pages, I quit, I just couldn't get into it.

I find reading on a Kindle, or something similar, very tiring on my eyes and often get a headache. My rule to myself, if I can a book from the library (even if I have to wait for a interlibrary loan or on a long waitlist) I do that and than later purchase, if I really have to have it for future reference. Generally that is only bird or plant field guides. The bookshelves are full!
Old 11-12-21, 10:55 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Kate, this made me smile - I think this happens all too often in novels!
What was so funny is that even the characters in the book commented on it! One asked if maybe she had gone on meds. It's possible I missed an explanation later on since I was listening on audio and was getting sleepy.

I vastly prefer paper books but will read any format, including audio, and probably 90% comes from the library. I only buy books if the library doesn't have it and I really, really want to read it, or if I get a gift card. I used to have my mom's old Kindle which gave me access to her vast library, but it died and now I read ebooks via the Kindle app on a Samsung tablet. Cannot do phone reading at all.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading