Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-08-21, 01:27 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Dana, I think you hit the nail on the head. I was never interested in Cathe's Slow & Heavy for the same reason. This set from JS seems similar... wonderful for those that like that kind of thing, but not for me. I like fast-ish paced weight workouts... fusion, 4-limbed, circuit training type situations.

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 02:27 PM  
donnamp

And then, I have to add that I like doing what I'm in the mood for on a particular day...so...while I like the concept of a rotation, I also like to be able to do what I want, so I wouldn't want to "follow" the Jessica rotation in a group format.

And, let's be honest, I would miss Pahla and I would miss Ellen, LOL!

I just did Pahla's March Playlist - Day # 7 - Fun Cardio - for my work break today.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 05:51 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I also have to be honest in that I haven't used her Get Strong DVD very often and one of the workouts on that one is slower paced lifting....
Donna, if I recall, there are 2 different workouts on Get Strong DVD, right? I know that I've done the one that includes some cardio - twice or 3 times, and I've never even tried the other one. I also don't think I've done all the workouts in Walk Strong 3. I have Jessica's all other sets and single DVDs and have done and like them all, but somehow I'm not reaching for Jessica's workouts for strength and that includes her free youtube workouts. Funny, because I thoroughly enjoy strength in Define & Align and I also like Cathe's strength.

Good news! I'm supposed to get my car back from the shop at the end of the week after not having it for 2 weeks. The cost of repair is $3500! My insurance is trying to stick me with $500 deductible even though they've repeatedly assured me that they'll wave it because I wasn't responsible for the accident. I'm rolling up my sleeves and getting ready for a battle with them.

Hope everyone had a good day!
Old 03-08-21, 06:00 PM  
furmomof6

Hello,

TBL: Gentle Morning Pilates (10 min)

I joined the Sisterhood today, and this was the scheduled workout. DH likes Robin and he's been working out with me, so I'll see how she works out for me this month. I plan to alternate her calendar with Faithful Workouts and Shaped by Faith for the month of March!

Dana, I'm glad you're finally getting your car back. I'm sorry about the insurance hassle. I hope it all works out!

Donna, good luck making your decision! There's too many choices, lol. Just knowing you from VF, I think you would be okay passing on this one. You seem to enjoy the gentler, fusion type stuff more, and that seems to work better for your body in terms of how it makes you feel? I'm just trying to help you make your decision.

Carol, how does your ankle feel? I had an ad on my phone for Club Pilates today!! I've never searched for it, so I guess my phone is reading our thread. Lol Scary!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)

Last edited by furmomof6; 03-08-21 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added more
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 09:41 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Define & Align - Barre Bootcamp - 30 minutes

This is my second time to do this one and I think I liked it even more than I did the first time. Karen keeps things moving and mixes them up - no boring 1,000 reps for her.

Christine - Glad you've got a plan! Enjoy the Sisterhood this month. My ankle is about the same - still waiting on that second arthritis med. Another instance where the doctor's office replied through the portal but I didn't get the message. I'm not sure what's going on. I checked the email address and it's right. LOL about your phone and Club Pilates. Sometimes my phone scares me - I swear it is listening in so many ways.

Dana - I don't care much for Jessica's strength work either. Her moves often seem awkward to me. I'm not sure why, but they do. Good luck battling the insurance company!

Donna - Try some of Karen's YouTube workouts for free. She's got some that are more traditional strength type workouts if you are looking for that (not a lot of them, but they are there).

Brenda - I thought Cathe's Slow and Heavy series was just too much. If that's what Jessica's is like, I wouldn't like it.

Waves ~

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 08:42 AM  
fanofladyvols

Christine I think your plan sounds super and I love how your husband is enjoying it as well. I agree with you about your advice to Donna.

Donna I agree with Christine...what you seem to enjoy and gravitate towards doesn't sound like what Jessica is offering. I think your money would be better spent on something you know you could use throughout the year for variety. But, I totally get the appeal of new and shiny

Carol I am still holding out hope the quirk gets worked out and you get your arthritis med quickly.

Dana I loathe any pilates title with HIIT or cardio. Jessica Valent gets a little preachy and sometimes I feel like she's scolding me...I'm not sure why. You and Carol are beginning to tempt me with Define and Align. I think I'll take a look at her youtube offerings later.

Brenda I loved Cathe's slow and Heavy. I haven't done in awhile though so wonder if I still would? We always recognize your workouts. But following a trainer might challenge you in a way you wouldn't on your own. I know that's true for me.

My plan is to continue with kettlebells for two days a week, 3rd day some other strength trainer, then alternate in my Ellen DVDs, Taebo or other cardio occasionally. I'm excited at the variety because there are plenty of wild card options but I have these all separated so no lengthy decisions to stall me.

Yesterday was ankle, hip, thoracic mobility day. Today will be the last day of my single leg deadlift challenge and will follow up with more kettlebell strength. I really loved both challenges so will start her 7 day kettlebutt challenge next.

Happy Spring like waves to all!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 08:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday at lunch I did Pahla's 7th March workout which was a cardio routine done Tabata style. But low impact and not as grueling.

Today, so far, has been:

Lucy Wyndham Read - Feel Fabulous Home Fitness Challenge Day # 1- which was a cardio/tone - body weight only - I think all of Lucy's are body weight only. I did the low impact variations since I am not fond of jumping these days. And Lucy's cat was going crazy in the background, LOL!

Trifecta Pilates - Slow Bicycle Workout - this was a nice hip mobility sort of practice, just what I need.

Lucy's challenge is here: https://www.lwrfitness.com/fitness-challenge/

So, I think I am safe from Lift and Shift - for various reasons I don't think I would get much use of it....so, that is good, I can stop thinking about it. And, you know, if I change my mind, it will be available again at some point. So, thank you for your input in my decision making!

I think if I go for a 12 week program Define & Align would be a better choice, I prefer shorter workouts where I can do an add on.....like, today, I worked out for almost an hour, but it was 25 min w/ Lucy and 25 min w/ Trifecta/Beth.

Linda - your plan sounds good. I like loose rotations, like Lucy's I don't feel compelled to do daily - even though it is set up that way - I figure if something grabs me on a particular day I will do that and then just pick up where I left off.

Carol - yes I will check out Workout Hotel - I previewed a bit of one yesterday it was barre w/ a small ball.

Christine - sounds like a good plan.....

Dana - Good luck w/ your insurance company...that is crazy - wasn't the car parked???

Brenda - it sounds like we have the same workout preferences...

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 03-10-21, 06:46 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I got home from work late (7PM!) and didn't feel like doing much. I ended up doing

Workout Hotel - Full Body Dumbbell Circuit - 20 minutes

This was a good workout comprised of 3 circuits of 3 exercises each done for 30 seconds. Each circuit was repeated before moving on to another circuit. Karen ended with a few weight exercises done on the floor with weights and a little bit of ab work. This would be a good weight workout for people who don't like weight workouts because it is over so quickly. I did a little bit of modifying to baby my knee and wrists, but not too much.

Still waiting on my arthritis medicine - oh well. And somehow I managed to hurt my knee and it's swollen up a bit. I iced it last night that made it feel better for a while, but I need to do that again this morning. I LOVE getting older.

Donna - good job with your workouts. Yes, you're right, unlike a DVD release where those go out of print, this release will always be available at some point during the year.

Linda - I like Define & Align - even though it doesn't have high production values like a Cathe release, or even a Jessica release - because it focuses on various forms of strength work, my favorite. I like working with heavier (for me) dumbbells doing fairly traditional stuff; I love working with lighter dumbbells doing fusion type style. I love using the squishy ball and I love barre work; I'm not a huge cardio person. Define & Align really hits all my sweet spots. This is the strength work set that I wish Jessica had released. But she didn't.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 08:20 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I just have time to post my workouts as I have a training starting in 15 min!

Yesterday DD and I walked after her appointment - felt so nice to be out in the sun and my back and hips felt so good afterwards. All of this sitting is the death of my spine....

I also did Jessica Valent's herniated disc routine in the evening for more back relief.

Today, so far, has been:

LWR - Feel Fabulous Challenge Day # 2 which was another walk/tone workout and I added on her run to the hills, the cute one w/ the wolf...

Trifecta Pilates - Pilates/Yoga Fusion

I am enjoying LWR so far - I'm even a little sore - hard to believe since this is all body weight. It is good sore in the areas that need it - lower body and abs/core. I think it is very much like Slim Series/Slim in 6 in terms of being an endurance based/high rep style.

Ok - I must run - be back later...

Donna
Old 03-10-21, 09:15 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Quick post before I have to go to the office:

Leslie's Party Songs 2 miles - 32 min.
ePilates Barre Arms - 12 min.

I'll check back later. Waves to all!

Tags