Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-27-21, 06:22 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

30 min. stepping

My arm is still really sore from tendinitis, so I'm not doing much beyond walking and stepping. I need to add icing to my workout list. I've been ignoring my arm, hoping it would just heal on it's own. That hasn't happened yet.

Cheri, nice to see you here!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 10:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Brenda sorry to hear you hurt your elbow! Do you know how you did it? Resting is a great idea. Have you thought about a compression sleeve?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 07:49 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Saturday's workouts were

Senior Shape - Barre & Kickboxing - 33 minutes & 10 Minute Stretch

and watching the NCAAs. Lauren's Barre & Kickboxing video was fun - I did find it a little challenging, despite it being a "Senior Shape" video. I'm trying to say that I find the Senior Shape workouts a good fit for where I am. You say the word "Senior" and I think of a little old 80 year old lady, and sadly that's not what it is these days. It is ME!

Brenda - Agreeing with Linda - a compression sleeve should help, along with ice and rest, etc. You might also go get a tube of Voltaren cream at the pharmacy - it used to be by prescription only, but now it is OTC. It's an anti-inflamatory cream and it helps about everything like that - I use it on my knees when they turn up swollen and on my hands when they are particularly painful. It will be the best $10 you ever spent. In my experience, those elbow injuries take a long time to heal.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 07:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I was MIA!

Friday was more or less a rest day - as my DD had her college visit - we did walk around campus though and I had over 10K steps by the end of the day and that included sitting in the car for quite a while, too. My DD drove there an back - which made me nervous, but she did fine. The school is only a little over 100 miles away - so not terribly far, but you have to go on the Capital Beltway to get there and that is a bit harrowing. Drivers in this area are the worst they go super fast and are very impatient and unforgiving, but my DD did just fine w/ it. And, it isn't like she is going to be coming home all the time and she won't have to do a round trip in one day either. I think we're going to pay the deposit on this school, it is her first choice and a very pretty and restful campus. It is a state school, but small, so you get the private school feel for in-state tuition. They also have an equestrian team/club and the girl who gave us the tour was a member of the club!

I did do Ellen's Affirmative Flow when we got home on Friday and I also did the Jessica Valent herniated disc routine to counter all the sitting in the car.

Yesterday was a long walk w/ DD - we did the 7-8 mile loop and prior to that I did Jessica's Yoga for Beginners and Beyond - A.M. Routine.

Today, so far was Jessica's 15 min walk and 15 min standing abs from the 30 day walk set. I also added on the chair stretch from the Gentle Stretch DVD.

I plan do stretch more later today, it is raining so probably no outdoor walk unless the weather changes.

Hi Cheri!! A COVID shot sounds like a very nice birthday "gift"! I am looking forward to eventually getting mine.

Carol - I like Jenny's step and I do find it to be a step up (no pun intended) to regular walking videos on terms of my HR. I need to incorporate it more.... I also like the Senior Shape workouts! I don't like to be wiped out from working out.

Waves, Linda and Dana and Christine!

Brenda - I hope your elbow is feeling better. I have had a weird thing going on w/ my shoulder, I think it is the way I'm sleeping on it....

Hope everyone has a good Sunday -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 08:54 AM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Donna, that school sounds perfect! I love the idea of private school size but in state tuition.

Thank you all for your arm suggestions!! I honestly wasn't sure what to do beyond icing and anti-inflammatory meds, which I can't take because they mess up my stomach. I don't know what I did to mess it up. I did some wall washing in our rental house and a day or two later, my arm was hurting. A couple of weeks later... here I am, still hurting. I'm going to get those things and see if they help, thank you!

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 09:33 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda in WA View Post
Donna, that school sounds perfect! I love the idea of private school size but in state tuition.

Thank you all for your arm suggestions!! I honestly wasn't sure what to do beyond icing and anti-inflammatory meds, which I can't take because they mess up my stomach. I don't know what I did to mess it up. I did some wall washing in our rental house and a day or two later, my arm was hurting. A couple of weeks later... here I am, still hurting. I'm going to get those things and see if they help, thank you!
That's the benefit of the cream - it won't get into your blood stream like a pill will.

Carol
Old 03-28-21, 10:26 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

D&A Total Body Strength - 31min. Loved it!
Cathe LITE Cardio Party - 39min. Good thing I was already warmed up from D&A because Cathe's 9min warmup is a full-on workout as far as I'm concerned. Full speed right out of the gate. Still, I liked it.

Donna, your DD first choice of schools sounds perfect for her. Small school, equestrian team, in-state tuition and not too far from home.

Brenda, sorry about your arm. Carol and Linda's suggestion of trying topical creams and/or compression sleeve sounds like a good start. Hopefully they'll help.

Carol, I hear you about about "senior" term best describing little old lady of 80 and not someone of our, or at least my age. I don't feel "senior" at ALL!

Waves to Christine and Cheri!
Old 03-29-21, 05:48 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Sunday's workouts were

Jessica Valant Pilates - Beginner Weight Workout - 24 minutes;
Jane Adams - Yoga for Beginners: Complete Floor Practice - 28 minutes

Despite being called a "beginner" weight workout, it really was just a basic weight workout - standard exercises, approximately 12 reps per exercise, 2 sets. Like any barre or pilates teacher, Jessica is not the best at counting reps, but I don't think I could talk and count at the same time either.

Jane's Complete Floor Practice was new to me as well. I liked this one and it was well within my capability. I need to do more of the practices from this DVD and to revisit the Gentle Yoga DVD. What I would really like is for Jane to do a DVD of 10 minute practices, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I start training a new assistant today. This will be my fourth one since I've been at the school. My previous assistant got a full time job at the art museum (and she needed a full time job now that she is graduating and our position would have never been full time) - so I'm really happy for her, but here we go again.

Dana - I hear you about Cathe's 9 minute warmup - it feels like part of the workout! I do like that workout though. I always have a smile on my face when I finish it. And I really enjoyed Karen's Total Body Strength workout too - there's something about her workouts or mix of workouts that really appeals to me.

Donna - That School sounds like a really good choice! How exciting for DD! I too love the idea of a private school feel with in-state tuition rates. And an equestrian team too - what more could she want!

Waves!

Carol
Old 03-29-21, 06:24 AM  
fanofladyvols

Dana cardio party is on my wishlist. Thanks for letting me know I need to add a warmup to it

Carol I hope this assistant stays awhile. It's always difficult trying to do your job and train someone else fully. Hope it goes well!

Donna when will you take additional college trips? I enjoyed those ...good memories!

Yesterday I finished up XFST #8 and followed with T25 Focus stretch. I had a bit of dread going into XFST but I was determined to move in from this set. I will repost from another thread my husband's comments so you can get a good idea of how I muddled through it.

" look at that guy going through the motions back there...y'all are working hard, huh?"
" Did you eat enough for this?"
"Are you gonna make it?"
"I think that girl back there is gonna make it after all?" (I do wonder if he meant ME though )
"That's a hard workout."

Hugs and waves around!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-21, 08:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I ended up getting in more activity than I expected. I added on Jessica's Dynamic Stretch from WS 1.0. I'm really enjoying re-visiting this series. And, I got an outdoor walk in after our rain ended.

Today, so far, has been:

CS 1123 - I forgot where I left off on this disc so I started from the beginning. This as an all standing workout.

Jessica WS 1.0 - Upper Body - I enjoyed this as well, although I did have to take the time to switch out weights here and there and missed a few reps as a result. I also didn't love the ab work at the end - so I'm thinking next time this comes around I will skip the abs and move on to a Pilates workout.

Carol - good luck w/ training your new assistant. That workout from Jessica is on my list to try - I may use it in place of WS 1.0 - Total Body for a change of pace. I would also love a series from Jane Adams w/ shorter practices - I had pulled her DVDs off my shelf too - but I wanted more of an add-on length than a full workout length, if that makes sense!

Linda - sounds like a tough workout! I don't know if we will do any more visits, fortunately, we jump started the visit process and had toured schools when my DD was a sophomore - it was almost as if we knew the pandemic was coming. Many of the larger schools are just doing virtual visits. I think she has her mind made up, though, on this school

Waves, Dana!

Brenda - how is your arm?

Cheri - hope the vaccine went smoothly.

Missing Christine...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith get strong