Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-22, 03:09 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Love your new avatar, Alta! I haven't chosen a word before. I'll have to think about it. Patience came immediately to mind, though.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 03:39 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Joni - Only choose the word PATIENCE if you really want to change it.

Alta - I hope you enjoy the word AND the concept applied to your life.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 03:40 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Do you DO anything with your word once you've chosen it?

I tend to do some journaling around it - both defining what I mean by the word and planning how I want to manifest it in my life. Sometimes, I do something creative I can sit out and see (to remind me about my word).

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 04:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
bee I am glad you found your word!

I could definitely forget my word if I didn't have it prominently placed. Mine is on my dry erase board where I record my workouts for the month...and in my signature.

Maybe there's a place you can display your word where you're likely to engage it more often?
Now that's an idea! Better than being written on a folder that's shoved into a drawer and forgotten.
Old 01-01-22, 05:22 PM  
pharma_gal

I like this idea of choosing a word for the year. I want to do it. And I know this is not one word but my main problem is my all or nothing mentality. So for this year I’m going to focus on working on this. So I guess my word for this year is ‘Moderation’.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 06:44 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I hope that I can be an example for no one and amusing for all..... I joined Gretchen Rubin's happiness project online group last year, and by April I fizzled out of all of it. Seeing this thread, I remember that we picked a word for the year, and I just went back to look it up because...... I can't even remember what word I picked! All I could find was a note from the end of January saying that I did pick a word of the year, I wrote my list of goals for the year, etc..... but.... nowhere can I find what the word I picked was. What does this say about me?! What would Gretchen think? Ug. There's nowhere to go but up, I think.
This was me too!!! Love that podcast. Started off strong then also fizzled with my 21 for 2021 list. So I am going to just choose one word this year. I think it will be DETERMINED.

Determined to take it day by day in my recovery process. Determined to eat better. Determined to work on my PTSD and mental health since the accident. Determined to add meditation to my daily routine. Determined to spend less time on electronics and more time reading. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Great ideas to journal or display the word.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-22, 09:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
This was me too!!! Love that podcast. Started off strong then also fizzled with my 21 for 2021 list. So I am going to just choose one word this year. I think it will be DETERMINED.

Determined to take it day by day in my recovery process. Determined to eat better. Determined to work on my PTSD and mental health since the accident. Determined to add meditation to my daily routine. Determined to spend less time on electronics and more time reading. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Great ideas to journal or display the word.
Chele, you are one of the most determined people I know!! Glad to know I wasn't alone on the Fizzle Boat!!
Old 01-02-22, 12:09 AM  
fanofladyvols

My 2022 word is balance.

And like others have mentioned, the word is more than just what it appears at first blush. I will apply it to all aspects of my life. From addressing muscle imbalances to addressing my relationships with others.

I love this discussion...great thread!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-22, 01:58 AM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
My word for 2022 is acceptance.

[...]So I choose acceptance—acceptance of whatever I manage to accomplish and of what I do not, and acceptance of what life offers now.
This really resonated with me, and I hope you don't mind me adopting your word, Abbe.

I also feel like STRENGTH is something that I have needed recently and will continue to be a necessity this year -- on all levels and in all aspects -- so I will need to couple it with ACCEPTANCE.
Old 01-02-22, 10:39 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
My word for 2022 is acceptance.

I would like to pick words like consistency and productive, but with life being the way it is, I will likely be disappointed when I do not live up to those words. So I choose acceptance—acceptance of whatever I manage to accomplish and of what I do not, and acceptance of what life offers now.
I was thinking of acceptance for myself, as well. Throughout school and college, I was always involved in sports, even playing in some NCAA tournaments, I can no longer do some things I used to do. I need to accept that. I've also lost interest in some things I used to love (some fitness related, some not-at-all), but finding interests in new things. It's almost like losing part of my identity.

Acceptance makes it easier, whether it's a short term inconvenience, or long-term adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
LOVE. The world needs more of it.
Yes, and I'd like to add discretion and integrity.

Tags
goals, new year goals, word for the year