Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-06, 08:57 PM  
Ellieva

For those with back issues, what has worked for you?

I had back surgery a year ago, I mainly walk, cycling,
some yoga....some weight training. I recently injured myself...I over did.
I am curious for those with back issues, etc. what has worked for you?
Do you find pilates, yoga, basic stretching, weight training...what has helped
you the most?

I have found walking the best so far, but not sure what to do in terms
of toning. I over did yoga and hurt myself....

I appreciate any input!
Thanks,
~Ellie
Ellieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 09:14 PM  
Maria Welters
VF Supporter

Pilates for me

I have low back disc issues and neck herniated disc issues. I can no longer do hi-impact aerobics. Like you I cycle, low impact step, and kickboxing. Heavy weights are also out of the question. My neurologist suggested taking Pilates classes and it has helped me tremendously with toning. I take 2 classes a week with a certified Pilates instructor. I am fortunate to have a wonderful couple who opened a Pilates studio in my area. They are also VERY reasonably priced. Rinda the owner and instructor of the studio, is also a nurse. With her knowledge of the body and Pilates and I have become very strong in my abs. My legs are toned and so are my arms. I am 50 years old and have received so many compliments on my body that I never received 10 years ago! A great feeling.

If you can swing it, go for the Pilates instructions. With someone constantly watching you for proper form you begin to understand the Pilates concept. The tapes are great but you must learn from classes to understand how to hold and use your core, not your back.

Take good care.

Maria W.
Maria Welters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 11:33 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Pilates helped me enormously after my initial recovery from a disc injury a few years ago. I was taught by my physical therapist, actually. I'd highly recommend someone certified to teach you, if you go that route. I walked and swam a lot initially, and did water aerobics. It took me a while to get back into aerobic dance, step, and weight training. Jennifer Rhodes' book helped me restart weights after my injury, too. Her Peak Performance might be a good reference/educational tool. Have I got that title right?

Just staying active is key, and crosstraining. I tend to do too much of one thing, like step, for example, and have to make myself do other things so I can keep moving without pain. It's kind of touch and go, in all honesty. We're all works in progress!

ETA: I get the impression that reccomendations about exercise post surgery vary widely. I didn't require surgery, though. My PT said weight lifting was fine, but not to do deadlifts (or what some call hamstring pull ups.) Everything else was given the okay.

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore

Last edited by amyzan; 08-28-06 at 09:03 AM. Reason: clarity
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 08:17 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Another recommendation for Pilates, here. I also find stability ball workouts, especially those of a Pilates or yoga flavor, and just plain sitting on one at work to be helpful.

Gaiam's Balance Ball Fitness for Weight Loss is good (despite the "weight loss" in the title which is misleading). Another good one that is more challenging is On the Ball Pilates with Lisbeth Garcia.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 09:14 AM  
Talie

I think that pilates and yoga have done wonders for my lower back problems. Yoga in particular. There is something about a sun salutation that just seems to fix a lot of alignment issues for me. I have had a yoga practice that I traded away though because for whatever reason every time I did it my back would ache.
Old 08-28-06, 10:19 AM  
Ellieva

I can't thank you all enough....prior to surgery, I attempted pilates. I didn't
do well with it. I just put "Pilates on the Ball" in my netflix cart; I need
to try, try again.

I hurt myself doing a Fit TV yoga wkout....i pulled muscles ....then rode my
exercise bike..hill type wkout and caused more pain/problems. I do think
yoga is a great wkout, but I think with back fusion, i need to modify a lot
and know my limitations...i sure do now!

I have a stability ball and love using it...so i think this may be my fix.

I will have to check the YMCA out to see if any pilates classes....thanks again,
so much, EVERYONE!

Take Care,
~Ellie
Ellieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 10:39 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Ellie, hope you like the video! Yoga has helped me tremendously too. If you can, seek out a studio near you and get some instruction from a pro with whom you've discussed your issues.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 01:44 PM  
sbh

bad back

I have two dessicated dics, two ruptured discs, and two bulging discs all in a row in my low back. I'm not a candidate for surgery, so I just have to live with the pain and disability.

I can do Leslie's workouts, some rebounders, and occassionally Debbie Sieber's Burn It Up. Yoga also is very helpful. I have problems with pilates as it aggravates the nerve pain. I also can do Walk your Way Slim and very easy step workouts.

I do what I can, for as long as I can tolerate it and I rest when I need to. I know it's difficult, but listen to your body and take it slow. Best regards!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 01:50 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellieva
I can't thank you all enough....prior to surgery, I attempted pilates. I didn't
do well with it. I just put "Pilates on the Ball" in my netflix cart; I need
to try, try again.

I hurt myself doing a Fit TV yoga wkout....i pulled muscles ....then rode my
exercise bike..hill type wkout and caused more pain/problems. I do think
yoga is a great wkout, but I think with back fusion, i need to modify a lot
and know my limitations...i sure do now!

I have a stability ball and love using it...so i think this may be my fix.

I will have to check the YMCA out to see if any pilates classes....thanks again,
so much, EVERYONE!

Take Care,
~Ellie
Ellie, my experience with pilates classes at the local Y was not a good one. I would be very cautious with any gym-style pilates, as you could easily get injured. One of the central tenets of Pilates is that form is key. It's said that one rep done with proper form is preferred to any number of repeptitions without proper form. In my experience, I never understood what "proper form" meant and felt it, knew it experientially, until I had personal attention. This was entirely lacking at the Y classes I took. Also, the Y instructor emphasized working to exhaustion, which is NOT what Pilates teaches. In fact, it's contradictory to the basic philosophy. So, my point is, be cautious!

I know we are a home exercising community here, but in this case, I think you might benefit from classes with certified instructors. This goes for yoga, too. I looked for a yoga teacher certified in Iyengar style, since they emphasize alignment, but there are other traditions/styles with teachers who can address your specific needs, too. At any rate, try to talk with any instructor before you take a class, and ask for modifications and guidance. Don't be afraid to walk out if they don't know how to help you. Keep us posted!

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 08:41 PM  
hannahsmom

Thanks for reminding me the reason I started exercising. I'm another who had severe back problems. I had scoliosis stage 3. I couldn't even move my shoulder it hurt so bad and my right leg felt like something like "shooting" shots going up my leg a lot. Kind of hard to explain. Very painful. Nothing helped me more than plain walking and pilates (mainly Winsor Pilates) I started with Endless Fitness for beginners. I started off very slowly because I needed to loose a lot of weight. I love Karen Voight too. I think she is very good for beginners and explains things very well for someone starting off. She is excellent at cuing too. I did a lot of her stuff in the beginning as well and that really helped. I like her cardio one with Ellie McPherson too. I could only walk for 10 min and that was hard. Now I can go for an hour at a high speed and incline too. And no more back pain for 2 yrs since I started exercise.

Teresa
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery