Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-05, 09:45 AM  
abbyalex

Tari Rose's Hard Body Yoga

Has anyone else done this workout? I did it for the first time last night and I loved it. But.....OUCH! It is very, very challenging. I had read the reviews that said it was kind of boring but decided to try it anyway and bought it from Amazon. OMG, it's tough! It's not really yoga, per se, it's more like yoga-inspired moves that make up a body-weight-only strength training and stretch workout. I have to tell you, I am sore all over today!

I have only been back to doing yoga again for about 6 weeks or so after giving it up 6 years ago. I've been more interested lately in non-traditional strength workouts like power yoga, pilates, and fusion workouts. This is the first one I've found that really works the upper body just about as much as it works the lower body. The super-slow negative tricep pushups, extended plank positions, moving from up-dog slooooowly through plank to down-dog repeated about 10 times.......these really fried my entire upper body.

True, it's very repetitive and not exactly a laugh a minute. And it definitely does NOT have a yoga flow to it. But I think it's a really interesting and different kind of challenge that demands your total focus, as well as working your muscles.

Does anybody else here do this workout? Do you like it?
Abby
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 10:16 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I agree - this is a tought workout! I could not do it on a regular basis because of the constant counting, the mild-rock elevator music, and the tension placed on the wrists, but every time I do it I get major DOMS in the hamstrings and triceps.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 10:47 AM  
mtnmom

I loved that it really worked my muscles. But I couldn't stand the music! I've never been bothered by music on a workout before or since. But it was a deal-breaker for me on this one.

I also wish the DVD was chaptered by exercise. If I recall, it only seperated the standing work from ab work. Since it ran for over an hour, it would have been nice to be able to skip a couple of the exercises to keep it shorter.

I wish Tari would make another workout though, I would consider it if she addressed these problems.
Old 08-04-05, 12:03 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

The music is very bland, but thankfully it's low. I turn down the volume to just where I can hear the instructor's cues and then I put on my own music; it makes a big difference.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 12:35 PM  
TerryMia

Count me in as another one who loves this one! True, it's not exactly pure yoga, but, man, you're right, does it ever work your entire body! The music, or lack thereof, lol, does suck, but it really doesn't matter to me at all with this workout because it's so good.
TerryMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 12:56 PM  
JustSandra

Ditto what Diane said. I like the concept of basing strength moves on yoga postures, especially since I find I can't do power yoga very well (it's just too fast for me to do with good form). However, at one hour total the workout is a little long for me. If the individual exercises were segmented or chaptered it would have helped a lot in allowing me to customize the workout for my needs. Also, the music is just deadly. Even though it is kept soft, it still bugged me, and I'm not the kind of person who requires fabulous music in my workouts. After much internal debate I've put my copy up for sale. However, if Tari put out a similar workout with chaptering and better music, I would definitely be interested.

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:07 PM  
abbyalex

It's funny that so many people are commenting on the music. I swear I didn't even notice that there WAS music! I guess I was concentrating and counting. I think I only care how the music is on cardio workouts, since that helps keep the beat so it is very noticable.
abbyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 01:44 PM  
Bebop

I like it too. When I bought it I hadn't started my serious yoga practice.

I recently did it again, and found I got more out of it now that I am more familiar with yoga poses. It's hard to pigeon hole this workout. It's not straight yoga, but not straight toning. It's kind of like Angles/lines/curves - hard to put in one category.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 02:54 PM  
Shelleyd

I love Hard body yoga. It's tough! I definitely don't use it when I want a relaxing yoga experience. I like gym-style yoga too though, and I kind of equate this with that. I rotate it with Yogafit yogabutt and yogaabs. Not traditional yoga workouts but they definitely have a place in my workouts.
Shelleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 02:55 PM  
CandyCane

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyalex
It's funny that so many people are commenting on the music. I swear I didn't even notice that there WAS music! I guess I was concentrating and counting. I think I only care how the music is on cardio workouts, since that helps keep the beat so it is very noticable.
Ha Ha... me too!
CandyCane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard body yoga, tari rose