Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-04, 11:35 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

This is a timely thread for me: I have been acquiring some of the P90X workouts and I am planning a P90X-inspired rotation. After studying the exercise guide and trying out the workouts, I think that the strengths of this program lie in a combination of:
* Intensity
* Periodization, including rest weeks
* Multiple training approaches: weight training, plyo, yoga, etc.
* Weight training sessions that integrate circuit and superset training
* Lots of pushups and pull-ups

I plan to adapt the P90X program to fit my needs and preference but I will make sure to keep those elements. For instance, I will do the back workouts at the gym using an assisted pull-up machine (I think it is a better way for me to gradually build up the strength). I also want to include a bit more unweighted lower body work and an additional interval cardio session weekly.

In terms of substitution, here are some I am considering:

YogaX: I hate this one so I will substitute Hard-Body Yoga (and maybe Yoga for Happiness).

CardioX: Again, no love here. I will substitute TLP Core Cardio which is way more fun and intense.

KenpoX: I like this workout but I know I will get bored with it over time. I think Powerstrike Millenium 1 is a comparable alternative.

Core Synergistics: I am ambivalent about this workout - great concept but some weird moves (e.g., banana roll / superman - ugh). I will still keep it in the rotation but I will alternate with TLP Core Foundation.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 11:41 AM  
shamrockquinn
VF Supporter

I just wanted to say thanks for these intelligent, thoughtful responses to Joanna's intelligent query. This thread is a smart analysis of PX90, helping me to understand this groundbreaking series.
Old 07-25-04, 11:45 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C
The one problem (for me) with using Cathe workouts is that she does all the body part work at once, instead of mixing up the different body parts, which is what I really like about P90X. You do a back exercise, followed by a chest exercise and this continues for the entire workout. I love Cathe, but I am tired of doing all back, all shoulders, all chest, etc at once. (That is why I like her latest 2 workouts so much.) I hope her new ones mix it up.
I agree. I'm nearing the end of my first P90X rotation, and am considering doing a P90X-like rotation using other workouts, but the prospect of doing a "work one body part first, then move on to the next" workout, -à la most of Cathe's workout, seems SOOOO BORING!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 11:55 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

There's just no question about it--Tony has to do a sequel to this set .
Old 07-25-04, 01:25 PM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

Sub for PlyoX

I think Mindy's Slammin' Sports Cardio would be a very good sub for PlyoX. It includes lots of plyos and some of the agility moves that Tony has. Gin's Intense Moves or Cathe's IMAX or IMAX2 would be good, but I really think Mindy is the closest.

Catherine
cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 10:59 AM  
kristi

Thanks Joanna and everyone who contributed to this thread. I was wondering if it was possible to put together a P90X rotation without any P90X video, but I never got around to asking. I'm really glad I came upon this, don't know how I ever overlooked it to begin with. Thanks!
kristi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p90x, push-up substitutions, unique