Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-04, 01:52 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Rivercat, it does sound like you are more "in your body" in your home practice. It sounds like that is the right place for you right now. I did home practice exclusively for 10 or 12 years. I really only started going to class regularly 8 years ago and workshops in the last few years. What does Bryan Kest say, "Be where you're at 'cause you're already there." He's definitely got something there. I guess the trick is to find out "where you're at."
Old 07-21-04, 02:25 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat
. . .One of the reasons that I enjoy my home practice (and video workouts in general) is that I know I'm a competitive person who has always felt inferior in my physical capabilities so in group situations I tend to push myself harder to match what the others in the room are doing, whether I'm ready for it or not....
Rivercat, I've found myself doing this, too, particularly when I was in Ashtanga class (it just really brought out the macho in me! I think I just wanted to prove that even though I'm overweight, I'm still strong. Prove to whom? I don't know). I found it kind of helpful to stand in the front of the class--where I couldn't see anyone else! That really helped me stay focused on MY practice.

I'm much better now, in Iyengar class, but the focus is more on getting my mind in my body, and I can't do that and look at other people, so it works out well!

I'm glad your home practice is working so well for you, though. I hope when you're ready for classes again, that you find something that works for you.

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 07:16 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

and then Calgary and then Winnepeg and then TORONTO!

Exactly one week after the festivities in Vancouver, John Friend and entourage blew into Toronto, and I was there!

The weekend, generally, was great fun. Between you and me, I think John's Canadian entourage, which included the same musicians and assistants, were a bit winded after crossing the continent with the big guy, but all in all it was a tremendous workshop, that culiminated in a Sunday morning session, that, to me, was electrified compared to Friday and Saturday.

Overall, the workshop sounded more like what SharonNYC described in NYC than the Loretta/Katie/Sophie Vancouver report. It was closer to NYC in size, and of course, had the big city vibe. John kept the level fairly basic until Sunday morning, which is when he introduced drop backs, anjane asana, a second round of trickier handstands, lots and lots of backbends.

People came from all over eastern Canada, Michigan, New York. Sianna Sherman (as in "Mitchel and Sianna") came into assist on Saturday and Sunday, and there was another assistant who I very much liked, name Rainy (sp?) who is from Seattle. I thought she had a very beautiful practice.

Something clicked in John on Sunday. Maybe it was watching Lance Armstrong ride into Paris (he kept saying "you're riding into Paris" and somehow that got to me, I was all "yes, yes, I'm riding into Paris on the Tour d'Yoga" and I found myself doing things I could not ordinarily do).

Thoughout most of the workshop I partnered with a woman who was my age, and my size, who was serious about yoga, (and knows Lisa TV!) and that was good, and a relief (I originally had this total snot diva-thing), but on Sunday I hooked up with a bunch of big guys, and frankly, you couldn't beat it. They had terrific personalities, were very enthusiastic, and I had absolute faith they could catch me if I fell - so I was willing to do very risky stuff. We had a blast.

Here's a link to maybe 20 photos - Toronto was definitely not as photo friendly as Vancouver, but I did what I could. I magically placed my mat right in the center of the Michigan contingent, so many of Lisa's yoga pals are represented. (amazingly, Michigan people who didn't even know each other also congregated in that corner)

I'll try to be more detailed later, and reread the Vancouverites comments, but I wanted to link to the photo's which I've managed to upload this evening, and give a preliminary shout out.

Please note, my recent ya yas and ebay selling spree resulted in, inter alia, an increadibly fun dinner in a mindbogglingly stylish asian fusion restaurant called Rain. It was transporting, and perhaps as relaxing as the yoga! The room was all Asian-Judy-Jetson, and the food was incredibly imaginative, beautifully presented, and sublime. We sat next to a nice couple from Vancouver, who always eat at Rain when they come to Toronto. I don't know that I can sell enough videos to afford to many return forays, but I'm glad to have had the experience. Some photos of the restaurant are also included.

Here I am with my new best (John) Friend

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 07:30 PM  
bona56
VF Supporter

Jane, you look so happy! Great report! Congrats on the risk taking on Sunday, too-let us know what you were able to do.

Rain sounds awesome. Girl, you earned it. Thanks for posting and sharing

PS I really still think JF looks like Graham Nash
bona56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 07:43 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Jane, thank you, thank you! Love the photos and the report. So glad so many of us could do this cross country and continent. Did you make the kirtan? How did the DH do with it? Well, you know I can never be satisfied.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 07:58 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the report Jane. In fact, I logged on hoping for it, thinking that you'd be about done by now. My question is: how does your hair look so great after a workshop?

From the pictures, it does look like a much bigger venue and group than the Vancouver one. I think the venue and the group was part of the magic of the BC workshop. Rainy, from Seattle was also there. He does have an amazing way of getting you to do stuff you didn't know you could do.

Thanks for getting the pictures up so fast. Rain does look kind of Judy Jetson, and very, very hip.
Old 07-25-04, 08:22 PM  
Sophie

that's why I logged on too!

In anticipation of the report and pictures - thanks, Jane!

Wow, 150 participants - that is twice the size, or more, of the Vancouver workshop. Definately a different vibe. I'm agog at the chairs in the restroom at Rain!

Rainy of Seattle was at the Vancouver workshop too. I noticed in the YJ article on Anusara that there are, supposedly, "Friend Heads" that follow him around a la the Grateful Dead. However, I suspect/wonder if they are his apprentice teachers who accompany him not just to assist, but to accumulate the necessary hours for full certification. In any case I'm glad they were there. Rainy had her mat a little in front of me and I watched her a lot to figure out what to do and for inspiration.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 09:13 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
I'm agog at the chairs in the restroom at Rain!
Me too! WOW! That's some bathroom.
Old 07-25-04, 09:28 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

re: John's entourage. My guess is that its more than certification credits. There were many experienced teachers - such as Behnji, at the TO workshop, but they didn't assist. I think Rainy, et. al., might have gotten paid, or at least had their expenses met, during the tour. The musicians toured the whole Canadian leg, for sure. Sianna certainly doesn't need cert credits. Frankly, I was surprised at how happy I was to see her. She's very experienced and she has consistently been very sweet, and helpful to me.

(fyi, Mitchel and Sianna are opening an Anusara studio, with the Brooks family, in Rochester).

One of the things I liked about Rainy is how beautifully she integrated her breath with her movement. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like that.

Sharon, we didn't go to the Kirtan, we went to dinner.

Bonnie - my adventurous activity was mostly by way of drop backs and lift offs from the drop backs, wheel variations, side plank variations...I'm still not doing so good with the handstand stuff - although, as aforementioned, John F. assisted me personally, which was great.

The restroom at Rain was rather jaw dropping - and there was a guy there who's only purpose was to point you in the right direction. And it was unisex! I guess that's a trend - the knock-out bathroom.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-04, 09:44 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
The restroom at Rain was rather jaw dropping - and there was a guy there who's only purpose was to point you in the right direction. And it was unisex! I guess that's a trend - the knock-out bathroom.
"So what do you do for a living??" "I direct people to the bathroom at Rain." Interesting conversation, that.

Tags
stacey milner-collins, yoga workshop reporter