Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-04, 12:01 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

Anyone doing P90X Upper Body on a Total Gym?

Cause I just don't forsee being able to do the majority of the upper body work any other way.

My DH did Back/Chest and did the back using the Total Gym; He did the majority of pushups per the DVD. He had severe DOMS for 6 days.

I did the Back/Legs and did the entire back exercises using the Total Gym on Sunday and today (Thursday), my lats and triceps are feeling worked out.

Today while I ran on the treadmill, I watched the Chest, Shoulder, Triceps DVD and OMG, those Pushups look way more intense than Back/Chest DVD.

We also have a Parabody Unit that I could use to substitute but then are the workouts even remotely close?

Barb
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 12:52 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Barb. I have a Total Gym and I really do think that you can use it for some of your P90X strength work. Mine has a lat bar, so I could use it for some of the back work. I also have a Nautilus home gym that has a lat pull down. Does your Parabody have a lat pull down? If so, then definitely, yes, you can use it for your back work. Just make sure you go as heavy so you're not cheating yourself.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 01:01 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

Thanks Debbie,

Yes, the Parabody has the lat pulldown too; It is a multi-station unit so has several exercises for each body part.

I actually thought the TG worked well for the back - I was able to keep up with the reps (on the pull-ups), although had DOMS for 4 days (which suprised me since it was a Total GYM).

Do you use the TG at all for this program? Do you use your Natilus home gym for anything other that back exercises? If so, which ones? I feel like such a wimp; but if I am going forward with P90X, I need to improvise.

Barb
Old 04-29-04, 01:12 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Barb. I haven't tried the Total Gym yet, but I have thought about giving it a try.

I just finished phase 1 of the Lean rotation and it didn't have the two chest workouts during the first three weeks, but it's coming up. I thought I would use the Nautilus to do some of the chest work if I get burnt out doing all of the push ups. I have a safety rack, so I'll be able to go quite a bit heavier than I would normally for chest work.

I have had DOMS like you and your DH. I'm in my recovery week and I finally have no DOMS. The first three weeks was a different story. I had DOMS the entire time.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 04-29-04, 01:52 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Although I can do the push ups in Core Synergistics on my toes, I do most of the push ups in Chest Shoulders & Triceps on my knees. I can't believe how challenging they are! I guess it's that there are SO many of them!!!
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 02:00 PM  
Runathon

Yes. I am not currently doing the P90X rotation or any of the dvds. However, I have set up my TG so that I can use it for pull ups. It works great. I feel I can use the TG to build me up to doing an actual pull up.

I think you can use your TG for P90X.

Enjoy.
Runathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 03:21 PM  
Legalpeach
VF Supporter

Total Gyms Recalled by CPSC (2002)

Hey Total Gym owners, I had no idea what a "Total Gym" was, so I ran a Google. Up popped two links from the Consumer Product Safety Commission from mid-2002 about TG's being recalled. I don't know how long you've owned yours, but wanted you all to be careful and alert to this if yours happens to be a recalled unit. Here are the links:

www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02160.html

www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02540.html

(edited to add second link)
Old 04-29-04, 05:46 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your answers; now I'm not feeling so bad. Finally, the TG will be getting more use.

LegalPeach, Wow, how did you avoid all those Total Gym infomercials over the years. We got sucked in twice; (a retail one and an infomercial one) Thanks for the links. Actually, I think we got notified about one of them but didn't act on it.

Debbie, I can't even imagine your DOMS if you did real pullups. I did the Chuck Norris move like in the infomercial.

Barb - Good for you re: Core Syn. - I've previewed about half of that that workout and it looks like training for Cirque du Soleil to me.

Runathon, The TotalGym website has all the exercises classified by body part. It is broken down more than the manuals they provide.
Old 04-29-04, 07:28 PM  
Fitstick

Cirque du Soleil ???
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-04, 07:33 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy S. from the Cathe board. I always enjoy reading your posts over at Cathe's and I enjoy reading your posts here. I'm really glad to make the connection of the two names.

Thanks for the heads-up on the recall. I bought my Total Gym in the mid 90s, so I think I'm safe.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani

Tags
push-up substitutions, total gym