Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-02, 02:53 AM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

Unhappy It's Real Player, Shelby. (NFM)

nfm

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 05:22 AM  
Fran Goldsmith
VF Supporter

previewed FitPrime

I did a really quick preview of it yesterday. I must say that I liked the set. It is a different look from the firm tapes. There is a lot of stuff but it didn't bother me--maybe because it is nothing compared to the amount of stuff my workspace has!

Watching her throw and catch the ball made me think that looked like so much fun and now I need to go and find one. It seemed to put some play and levity back into working out. The production quality didn't strike me as poor but again it was a really quick scan of the tape.

My main impressions were:

it looked FUN

it seemed to make sense, unlike other questionable moves in other workouts

Tracey looked unbelievable. Her body looked completely different, she seemed much more herself. Both the set and Tracey seemed to usher in a new style and maybe era for us old diehard firmies.
Fran Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 08:11 AM  
Messe

Re: The streamer wouldn't play

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelby
for me. Was it RealPlayer or something? I got a message saying it was an invalid format for Windows Media.
I downloaded it this morning, and it's a QuickTime movie. I think anyone can download QuickTime for free, although I'm not savvy enough to know from whence it can be obtained. Even on the high-end network in the office building, it took a long time to download the streamer. It does appear to give a good overview of what the workout looks like.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 09:26 AM  
Lydia L
VF Supporter

Collage?

The streamer wouldn't work for me either... wondering if collage will be carrying this workout... would love to see a video clip before committing to a purchase. Can't wait to read more reviews...
Old 02-06-02, 09:41 AM  
Shelby
VF Supporter

Re: It's Real Player, Shelby. (NFM)

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan Boadway
nfm
Thanks, Joan and Martha. What a bummer...I updated Windows Media Player, waited 5 minutes (on a cable connection) for another "format" error. Think I've been spoiled by Collage and Cathe.

That UPS guy better not pass my house today!
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 10:33 AM  
joycet
VF Supporter

I received my copy yesterday and...

Joan expressed my initial impressions of the production quality exactly. The set is so busy and the picture is just not the clear, sharp image we have become accustomed to. I, too, was expecting something better.
I have not done the workout and my initial ambivalence toward it may change after doing it but right now, I can't say I am excited to pop it in the VCR. I am also not certain I like the total focus on one side before moving to the next. Admittedly though the description refers to non-dominant training so I guess I'm not sure what I was thinking that would be.
I plan to do the workout this weekend and post my thoughts of it but I am also looking forward to other reviews as well.

Joyce
joycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 10:44 AM  
Liz K
VF Supporter

I got mine.

I got my FitPrime Weights First yesterday. Unfortunately, I had already done Cardio Sculpt and didn't have time for another workout. My first impressions of it are pretty good. I like the idea of fatiguing one leg and then the other. This seems to work my legs harder somehow. I'm looking forward to trying those one legged squats.

I think the picture quality of Weights First is better than that of my new Firms. It didn't seem as fuzzy. Also I thought the music was better. The set was busy but didn't bother me. However, I am one of those exercisers that doesn't notice many things about a video when I'm working out.

I'm glad Anna and Tracie are back! I am looking forward to getting Susan's new video. Also, the flier in my video said that they are going to start planning their next two videos in early spring. Liz K
Liz K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 11:03 AM  
Karen N
VF Supporter

Well, I cancelled my order and decided to wait for dvds. Yet today when I came into work, I found the tape sitting in my mailbox. Guess Bill forgot to take me off the list. I'll have to email him when I get home, though this IS making it tempting for me to just open the darned thing up. Esp. as I've been in a major weights slump and could use something new.

But these video quality issues have me thinking that it's going back (on their dime, since I have an email from them saying they were cancelling per my request). I'm hoping that dvd transfer will lead to a not quite so rough quality, but even if it doesn't, I think I'll be happier with it that way.

But dang it! I've caught myself wanting to open the package, just to see what it looks like.
Old 02-06-02, 01:01 PM  
CarolineBP
VF Supporter

Wink Prop heavy?

With all due respect to my good friend Martha, I must say that some of the FIRMs are prop-heavy as well. The balance stick or dowel is also used with a dumbell (Nancy Tucker I think) and the Ooof ball is used in lots of the FIRM videos. Don't get me wrong, I love FIRM videos. It's just that Weights First doesn't use anything new that hasn't been already introduced in the FIRM's videos.

Martha, hope I didn't offend you--I really respect your opinion.

Caroline
CarolineBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-02, 01:10 PM  
Shelby
VF Supporter

Thumbs up I have it!

Well, the UPS guy must've felt my urging because he dropped off my Fitprime.

I was expecting the worst, something along the lines of Sara City quality but I was pleasantly surprised to find it no worse than the Firm video in terms of tape quality. Yes, Tracie's poor head gets cut off a lot but it probably bothered me more during the previewing than it will while I'm actually grunting through it.

Re the props, I don't mind most of the ball work but a couple of the routines require coordination, something I will never have an abundant supply of. Bouncing it on the floor while dipping and throwing it up during ab work will remain OUT for awhile, besides I'm afraid it's going to hit me in the face!

I don't mind the background but I also love the infamous red CIA set so.... After the brief intro I didn't even notice anymore.

From my initial preview I have a favorable impression of the workout and can't wait to actually do it. (Hmmm, would I be too much of a vidiot if I were to cancel my dinner plans for tonight?) She had me at "...transverse abdominus...." I didn't feel this optimistic, I'm still sad to say, re the new Firms. I've been a Tracie fan since The CrossTrainers and Tough Tape so maybe I'm biased because of that but I do believe it's the sequencing, the earnestness and 'work hard' aspect of her cueing.

Shelby
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anna benson, fitprime, mark henriksen, weights first fitprime