Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-03, 07:51 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hard Body Yoga?? Yes or No?

Hi Everyone,

I was all set to order Hard Body Yoga when I read the thread about which tapes you have gotten rid of the fastest.
At least a few people mentioned Hard Body Yoga. Is it really that bad? Wow! To be mentioned in the same sentence as the first Body-B-Fits? That says a lot to me.

FYI- I'm no yogi-I'm trying to find yoga-ish workouts that will ease me into the yoga world. (I've been trying for almost 3 years now :rolleyes: .)

I like the idea of getting some strength and flexibilty at the same time. If this isn't a good choice can you give me some other options? I've tried Bryan Kest Sweat, and it's okay but I don't like it enough to want to do it. I've done Power Yogafit, and now that I know the tape it's okay, but again--I really don't want to do it. I'm close to wanting to order Baron Baptiste Live! DVD, but am afraid it will be too yoga-y for me until I grow to appreciate yoga a bit more. Maybe just having it will make me do it, which will make me like it and want to do it more often. I don't know.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, opinions!
Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 08:01 PM  
rad

Re: Hard Body Yoga?? Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally posted by frostyjan
FYI- I'm no yogi-I'm trying to find yoga-ish workouts that will ease me into the yoga world. (I've been trying for almost 3 years now :rolleyes: .)
Why don't you try a yoga class instead of finding a yoga video?! But if that doesn't work because you can't swing a class, be patient. I think it's more about having that perfect experience with yoga or anything to allow it into your life. It will happen, probably quite fortuitously.

To answer your question, I have Hard Body Yoga and had Body-B-Fit. There is no comparison in production quality. I have only previewed HBY and can't bring myself to do it for all the reasons mentioned in the recent thread about it. I do take yoga classes regularly after going through a similar experience to yours for many, many years. One day it just clicked when I realized why I was doing it and why I wanted it in my life.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-03, 08:19 PM  
ashling

I am waiting for my Hard Body Yoga tape as we speak. I actually liked the clip at Collage. But then again, I am not looking for the sacred/religious/oneness aspect of yoga; I am looking for a good, hard workout that will stretch me out. The chattiness and counting don't bother me. I have Grace Lazenby's All the Right Moves, and that one got some negative reviews too. But I love it! So I guess it's all in what you're looking for. I'll be sure and post when I get it.

I am not a fan of Bryan Kest or Baron Baptiste. The other yoga workouts I do like are Crunch's Candlelight Yoga and Fat-Burning Yoga. I'm also eagerly awaiting Susan Powter's Trailer Park Yoga.
Old 08-29-03, 11:04 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I think it's my post you're referring to, so...

I traded it and Body-B-Fit away FAST.

I have ATRM and love it. But Grace's yoga flows a lot better than Tari Rose's. Honestly, I couldn't get past the first two sections. The warmup consisted of really repetetive sun salutations. Repetitive in the sense that she didn't just give direction then let you do it. She kept talking, and TALKING, throughout the whole thing.

Then you move into chair pose. You go into the pose, with arms raised, then pulse your arms back. Come out of the pose, then go back into it, then pulse again. You repeat this maybe ten times. With NOTHING ELSE IN BETWEEN.

I guess I just like my yoga to flow, quickly or slowly, doesn't matter, but I need FLOW.

If you like ATRM, you may want to check out Minna Lessig's Balanced Blend Optimizer DVD. Strength and Grace is a fusion workout, which has some yoga (very "lite") but is still a decent workout.

If you're torn, I'd wait until Hard Body shows up on the exchange or Ya Ya swap, and try to at least get it cheap!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 11:36 AM  
vivian

I m another who has tried getting into ...

yoga for several years . Ill do a tape every once in a long time and enjoy it very much , but still dont reach often for them . Rather do a more "productive feeling " ( for me ) .

I give another vote for ATRM , also KVs Yogasculpt . They both keep you busy and movin , and got some effective moves you can really feel .

Vivian
vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 11:42 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

If you want something longer, I also love American Power Yoga. And I think it's still on sale at their site--www.dallaspoweryoga.com. Very engaging, and flowing, but you feel "worked" afterwards. And during, of course!

If you get Yogasculpt, spring for the DVD (maybe on overstock.com?). I do that one often when I need a shorter yoga workout.
Old 08-29-03, 12:13 PM  
deanne
VF Supporter

I think

Janet, that since you aren't necessarily looking for yoga that you may still like this one! I REALLY like it personally. I guess it's what you are expecting?

I find that it is a strength workout made up of yoga moves. NOT a pure yoga workout. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be a flowing "traditional" practice. Have you checked the Collage clip yet? I found that gave me a good feel for it. Tari Rose does count the whole time which reminds me of a strength workout. However, because it is still yoga, I focus on my breathing & just like when Bryan Kest NEVER STOPS TALKING, her talking doesn't bother me.

Janet, I can lend you mine after next week. It's on my rotation for next week & then I don't get to see it for three. I really did like American Power Yoga, but that IS yoga, so I don't think that's what you want or are ready for yet.

I think that in this case you do have to do the workout knowing that it isn't really just yoga. If you go in thinking it's Bryan's Sweat or like a Baron practice, you would be disappointed.

Deanne

& fwiw, I couldn't stand ATRM!
deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 12:18 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Deanne,

one question though, which I'm thinking should be answered for anyone who wants to try this. I didn't really notice or pay attention, but do you think someone who isn't very familiar with yoga and basic postures could do HBY?

It may be a good way to start into yoga, but may also scare someone off, if they are unfamiliar and can't really follow along. But then maybe her cuing is very thorough, I don't remember.

I'm thinking that would be good info to have, somewhere. Anyone want to write a review?

Guess I could, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair, since I didn't even do the workout once.
Old 08-29-03, 12:31 PM  
vivian

BTW ;

last time i checked cduniverse.com had KVs DVDs for a little over $11 .
vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-03, 12:44 PM  
deanne
VF Supporter

Good Question, Pratima!

Tari Rose does do modifications, sometimes she does two levels (lower) of modifications & on at least one occasion she does modifications UP. The only thing is that she does the modifications the SECOND set (of three). Her cuing is pretty thorough. It's hard for me to remember b/c I DO know what she's doing!

I really do like this one A LOT. I find it relaxing strength work with a yoga flavor. That's a nice variety for me.

Deanne
deanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard body yoga