Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-22, 02:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Wrapping light club handles ?? How-to ?

It has finally dawned on me that the handles on my light clubs are a bit too small, and that maybe wrapping them somehow might help.

Has anyone done this? What should you use ?

I tried a piece of pipe insulation, but it was too bulky.

Some kind of tape ?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-07-22, 02:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what is the club made out of?

i would use a non-adhesive tape like the kind the phlebotomist wraps around your arm after you donate blood. it is a stretchy, gauze-like material and it has no adhesive on it - it stays put because of its elasticity.
https://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Self-.../dp/B001EPQBDU

anything with glue on it might damage your club. glue, rubber, and certain plastics get "gummy" and start "eating away" on things it's attached to.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 03:03 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, that's a great idea!

The clubs are smooth black plastic on the outside.

I was looking into various tapes used for wrapping golf clubs, hockey sticks, etc., but I wasn't sure what would be best for fitness type clubs.

I want to add some bulk to the handles, but not too much.

Already tried masking tape and paper tape, but wasn't sure what else to try.

I do think whatever I use should be fairly smooth, and not tacky.
Old 04-07-22, 05:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the medical wrapping material i mentioned is not tacky at all. it's dry to the touch. it's "non-adhesive" meaning it is chemical-free on either side of the wrap.

as mentioned it stays put because it's elastic and textured.

other uses of bandage wrap:
https://www.tempomedical.com/7-uniqu...y-not-thought/

they're sold everywhere - Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Amazon.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 06:36 PM  
BunnyHop

Thanks so much!

I went to a sporting goods store and found some of the sort you mentioned, and some other stuff that's meant for wrapping baseball bats.

I'll experiment to see what the differences might be. I found both in black so the results won't be too obvious, either way.
Old 04-07-22, 08:47 PM  
bfit

My husband did this for my body bar with layers of duct tape. If you do it right it's not sticky, but if you ever want to take it off it's tough to do that.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 10:07 AM  
jusca

Would wearing padded gloves help? I have some GoFit workout gloves with a rubber-like tactile padding on the palm that makes the glove thicker than the average. I use them to hold my slim handle rubber mallets since i didn't buy a multi-set of clubs.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 03:38 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Would wearing padded gloves help? I have some GoFit workout gloves with a rubber-like tactile padding on the palm that makes the glove thicker than the average. I use them to hold my slim handle rubber mallets since i didn't buy a multi-set of clubs.
I had not thought of gloves. Good Idea.
Old 04-10-22, 03:44 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
My husband did this for my body bar with layers of duct tape. If you do it right it's not sticky, but if you ever want to take it off it's tough to do that.
The bandage wrap seems easy to use and adjust, so that's what I'm going with for now.

The baseball bat handle wrap seems a bit more permanent, though I guess the point is that it can be totally replaced eventually. I like that it is padded.
Old 04-24-22, 01:05 PM  
BunnyHop

Hi everyone!!!

My computer had some sort of electrical issue, now sorted. Whew. So glad I don't need a new PC just now.

In fitness news, I've been much more consistent using my clubs since I wrapped them with the tape jeannine recommended.

At first, I used a lot of it, but realized I didn't need such a fat handle.

The tape's purpose for me, is to make gripping a bit easier, to lessen hand strain. Seems kinda subtle, but the difference has got me swinging clubs again. Hurrah!

Tags
indian clubs