Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-22, 12:44 PM  
primrosecat

Surgery

Hi everyone. I need suggestions. At 72 I am facing back surgery for a slipped disk/pinched nerve. I am ok with the surgery but don't know what to expect during recovery. The surgeon is saying 3 months in a brace, no bending, etc. Has anyone else gone through this? How do I cope, with washing, personal hygiene, everything! I've asked the surgeon and I'm not getting any answers. I can't imagine not washing my hair for 3 months, not to mention other things. I need real life answers. Thanks! PS. I just have my son for backup.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 12:57 PM  
BigBadBetty

My friend just went through a major surgery. She told me about no rinse caps for your hair. I had never heard of them before. If you can, I would recommend getting a bidet installed if you don't have one already. Good luck! I hope you heal quickly.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 01:26 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You might consider getting a home health aide to come to your house on a temporary basis. You might even be eligible to receive such help through your insurance. You need to talk to your doctor, and say this is a serious need, and have this in place before the surgery.
Old 03-31-22, 01:31 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
My friend just went through a major surgery. She told me about no rinse caps for your hair. I had never heard of them before. If you can, I would recommend getting a bidet installed if you don't have one already. Good luck! I hope you heal quickly.
I have used those in the past in the hospital (along with body wipes) and they work great. I felt so much cleaner after using them. The ones I used had built-in conditioner and made my scalp and the hair near it look/feel greasy but I didn't care just knowing I was clean.

My recommendation is to do a lot of searching on google for how to prepare for your specific surgery. Even better - if you belong to facebook, search for support groups for your specific surgery. That's what I've done for my surgeries and I truly don't know what I would have done without them. My doctors gave me no information but I was well-prepared with equipment and information prior to my surgeries thanks to those groups. They were truly invaluable (and one still is - I had my most recent surgery in December with a one year recovery and I go to that group a lot for answers to questions that come up).

Good luck and I'm sorry about the surgery.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 01:31 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
You might consider getting a home health aide to come to your house on a temporary basis. You might even be eligible to receive such help through your insurance. You need to talk to your doctor, and say this is a serious need, and have this in place before the surgery.
That's a very good idea.

Erica
Old 04-01-22, 08:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I used these wipes for sponge baths, they work very well. Care Touch Body Wipes

You can even microwave them if desired. They're much cushier than regular baby wipes. I would use one of these then follow with a washcloth and cornstarch baby powder to stay fresh.

If your doctor hasn't authorized it already - get a temporary handicapped parking permit from DMV. You'll be glad!

PS - if you'll be on any kind of narcotic pain med - have some Miralax in your medicine chest.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 10:15 AM  
primrosecat

Great ideas

Thanks everyone, this is just what I need. Lots of ideas to look into. I have a month to get ready. But how do I find a support group on facebook? I pretty much understand the other suggestions.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 11:05 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Thanks everyone, this is just what I need. Lots of ideas to look into. I have a month to get ready. But how do I find a support group on facebook? I pretty much understand the other suggestions.
I don't know your diagnosis or the name of the surgery you're having, but that's what I would look up.

So, for example, if you have carpal tunnel syndrome, you would do a search on Facebook for carpal tunnel and I bunch of options for groups would pop up. I did use a facebook group for my carpal tunnel surgery years ago and it was invaluable to me.

I can help if you want to pm me or post your condition/surgery here.

Erica
Old 04-01-22, 01:07 PM  
warriorprincess

Keep us posted. My DH has needed back surgery for years but he's afraid of it. I'm always very interested in how it turns out. I have a few online acquaintances who've had it and were very happy that they did.

If you live somewhere with an active Nextdoor community, they can be very helpful. I see people asking for help all the time, and neighbors either volunteering to help them, or telling them which agencies they can contact for help.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 01:49 PM  
donnamp

Good luck! I would think with that type of surgery you may have PT or OT provided in the home as well and they may be able to help you with activities of daily living, as well.

Please let us know how everything goes.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back surgery, lower back surgery, surgery