Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-21, 08:16 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've never been coordinated or strong enough to get any use from Cathe's workouts, but I have found that in general, the older I get, the easier it is to get out of condition and the harder it is to regain strength.

Just lately I've added lightweight indian clubs to my collection. I find it's a good way to warm up. My shoulders have bothered me just a bit in recent years, and this exercise seems to be helping. I think part of my discomfort was being so out of shape.

Next up for me will be some heavier weight clubs, doing similar (but not identical) sorts of movements.

Other stuff I like: Classical Stretch and Tai Chi.

Do you have a recommended brand of Indian clubs? I need a light pair.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 04:05 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

A touch late to the party

I think it's normal to be tired, when you come back to your workouts. A reason that cross training is so important.

A couple of things not mentioned: Stay hydrated and make sure your nutritional needs are being met. (and get enough rest/sleep).

And I agree - you probably aren't as out of shape as you think.
The key is to keep moving (doing things you like but still challenging yourself.)

One of my mottos is: No 2 rest days in a row. (of course, I'm active in "every day in ____" check in so I'm going on 2 years now ...) but something every day is helpful (for me). And the older I get, the more important the warm ups and cool downs (especially cool downs) are. That includes STRETCHING.

With Peloton (and I realize most people don't have the Peloton app). A lot of the workouts (strength, core, etc.) are only 5-20 mins. It doesn't seem like much, but it is and it is enough!!!

I think if you stay consistent, over time you will begin to see changes and be ready to add on/move on, etc.

Good luck.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 08:40 AM  
donellda

Jessica Smith has my vote. She always offer a lower intensity option, her mom, and a higher intensity option. Her videos and her Youtube workouts are awesome with a variety of whatever type you might like. Take it slow, shorter workouts and make sure you rest in between. You will be able to work back up to your Cathe workouts.
Old 06-30-21, 08:57 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Do you have a recommended brand of Indian clubs? I need a light pair.
I got these by Trademark Innovations not long ago because they were the least expensive I could find : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMVHPMW

One pound each. They seem to be fine. Plastic filled with something. They don't stand up, the top edge isn't quite a flat surface. They aren't hard to store, though.

I've ordered an Adex adjustable club for heavier work but they're on backorder these days. https://adexclub.com/product/adjustable-steel-club/ It's a set that lets you go from 3.5 to 25 pounds that seems reasonably priced for what you get. The one thing I keep hearing about these kinds of things is that you need to go up in small increments so you can maintain good form. If you're a real badass, they've even got more add ons so you can go from 27.5-50 lbs.

Me? Just going to stick with the lighter weights, but am glad I'll have the option to move up without additional expenditure as I gain strength.

The one thing that held me back from buying clubs at all was price, but this set seems versatile enough to be worth it.
HTH!!!
Old 07-01-21, 02:27 PM  
Scorpio6

I've gone totally retro bc I remember the way exercise was in the 1960s and you don't have to kill yourself to exercise, esp if you are doing a lot of walking. I am doing the 2 Debbies -- Debbie Drake and Debbie Reynolds. I have notated the workouts and made slight modifications, esp in D. Drake's case by adding light weights. Debbie's records are available on Amazon Music and really like that I don't have to have a timer, just move while I listen to the pretty music. For Reynolds, the videos are on You Tube and I also like the music there, altho I also made section playlists so I don't even have to look at You Tube. Just a thought.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 03:05 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I've gone totally retro bc I remember the way exercise was in the 1960s and you don't have to kill yourself to exercise, esp if you are doing a lot of walking. I am doing the 2 Debbies -- Debbie Drake and Debbie Reynolds. I have notated the workouts and made slight modifications, esp in D. Drake's case by adding light weights. Debbie's records are available on Amazon Music and really like that I don't have to have a timer, just move while I listen to the pretty music. For Reynolds, the videos are on You Tube and I also like the music there, altho I also made section playlists so I don't even have to look at You Tube. Just a thought.
Add Debbie Rocker too and you can make it a 3 Debbies rotation!
Old 07-26-21, 12:54 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I got these by Trademark Innovations not long ago because they were the least expensive I could find : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMVHPMW

One pound each. They seem to be fine. Plastic filled with something. They don't stand up, the top edge isn't quite a flat surface. They aren't hard to store, though.

I've ordered an Adex adjustable club for heavier work but they're on backorder these days. https://adexclub.com/product/adjustable-steel-club/ It's a set that lets you go from 3.5 to 25 pounds that seems reasonably priced for what you get. The one thing I keep hearing about these kinds of things is that you need to go up in small increments so you can maintain good form. If you're a real badass, they've even got more add ons so you can go from 27.5-50 lbs.

Me? Just going to stick with the lighter weights, but am glad I'll have the option to move up without additional expenditure as I gain strength.

The one thing that held me back from buying clubs at all was price, but this set seems versatile enough to be worth it.
HTH!!!
I'm so late. I was cleaning up and saw my Clubz dvd and remembered I posted in here. Thanks for responding!! It was very helpful. I'm adding the amazon ones to my list. I hadnt come across ones at that low price!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-21, 02:18 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
I'm so late. I was cleaning up and saw my Clubz dvd and remembered I posted in here. Thanks for responding!! It was very helpful. I'm adding the amazon ones to my list. I hadnt come across ones at that low price!
Timely response, though, because I've only recently received the Adex adjustable club. I really like it, but feel like a total wimp. For the work I'm doing, I'm just using the 3.5 pound handle all by itself. All the rest of the weights and the screw that would hold them onto the handle are just gathering dust for now, LOL!!

To be honest, I'm thinking of getting a set of two pound clubs, because I'm hoping to transition up in weight without traumatizing myself.

I'm glad the price on the cheaper type has come down so substantially. I first thought about getting some years ago, but the price put me off.
Old 07-29-21, 01:41 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Yes!! It's why I never worked out before going to work. I did a half hour interval workout and was yawning all day at work and yes was very very tired. I had put on nearly 50 lbs and had not worked out in quite a long time. I was actually in pretty bad shape so yes what you experienced is normal.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment gathering dust, restarting