Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-03, 01:31 AM  
gerrie

LovingLife

No I did not have a hysterectomy. This was not an issue with me. I would never have one unless I had cancer.

Vaginal childbirth definitely contributes to relaxation of the pelvic support system. But I have certainly heard young, childless women say "I laughed so hard I wet my pants".

I read an interview with Dr. Campbell Waters, an ob/gyn who argues in favor of "elective" cesarean sections to prevent damage to the pelvic floor. Supposedly some young, female ob/gyns are doing this when they give birth to their own babies. Dr. Waters has written a book, "Just Take It out: the Ethics and Economics of Cesarean Section and Hysterectomy". I have not read the book, I don't care much for the title. I don't like calling a baby or even an uterus "it".
gerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 01:49 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

That's wonderful to hear Gerrie. I don't really want a hysterectomy unless I had a life-threatening reason to warrant it (like a friend of mine just had). How long ago did you have your surgery and does it seem to be holding up well? My OB said he'd be willing to do the surgery w/o the hysterectomy, but questioned if it would last as long with my uterus still in tact. I'd rather take the chance that it would last alone and see what happened instead of just doing everything or being "elective" just to cover all the bases (and like you and my friend said, there could be other unwanted results from having the hysterectomy).

But I don't question anyone else's decision if they have gone and done the hysterectomy along with the bladder tuck. Everyone has to do what they feel right about doing for their own body. Just a hard thing to figure out sometimes.

"I know you're tired, but jump higher!"
-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
LovingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 08:04 AM  
Francesca

input

Hi
I didn't read thru all the thread because it made me feel a little teary thinking about my mother and so on.... but just wanted to say that my mum had this, and the gynie told her not to operate and gave her exercises and to use an internal ring to keep everything in place - to avoid operating. this went on for a few years and she used to suffer great discomfort although she never grumbled. Finally after going up and up in ring size they had no alternative but to operate and since she was not young we were petrified. The operation was non-invasive and was a great success. I know sometimes we tend to avoid ops, and that's a good thing, as an op is always an op, but she could have suffered so much less, and so .... anyway that's my little input for what it's worth.

Hope it helps
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 08:41 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing that Francesca. My doctor mentioned the pessary ring the other day, but mentioned that I probably wouldn't enjoy using it -- that it was an option. From what I've read, many times women use them when they are not candidates for surgery (ill health, too old, etc.) and that they can't be used as a long term solution because of risks of infection and so forth.

Also, the book I have ("The Incontinence Solution") said that although a pessary help with prolapse, it doesn't necessarily help with incontinence. I didn't quite understand why, but let it register in my brain nonetheless. This book also has story after story about women suffering in silence, not even telling their spouse of the troubles. It is a sad thing.

Interesting tidbit though, they said that in ancient times, women would cut a pomegranate in half and use it as a pessary. I found that truly intriguing since pomegranates are my most favorite food. Now I'll think twice before eating one .

-- Cathe

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with Beachbody. For details, take a look at my profile or see my blog www.foodplusfitness.net .
Old 01-31-03, 08:49 AM  
Eileen

Quote:
Originally posted by gerrie
LovingLife

I read an interview with Dr. Campbell Waters, an ob/gyn who argues in favor of "elective" cesarean sections to prevent damage to the pelvic floor. Supposedly some young, female ob/gyns are doing this when they give birth to their own babies. Dr. Waters has written a book, "Just Take It out: the Ethics and Economics of Cesarean Section and Hysterectomy". I have not read the book, I don't care much for the title. I don't like calling a baby or even an uterus "it".
Are these normal female life conditions diseases that must be treated with surgery? And yes, C-sections and hysterectomies are already the two most common surgeries in the US today. The economics means that OB Gyns are one of the highest paid specialties in medicine.

Bring back the midwifes!!!

But I digress--back to your regularly scheduled thread..........
Eileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 11:24 AM  
gerrie

LovingLife

My surgery was about 1 1/2 years ago and as far as I can tell it is holding up well. My only complaint is that I was in no way prepared for the pain of the surgery. I do think surgeons minimize pain in discussions with their prospective patients.

Hysterectomy is a touchy and controversial subject and I wouldn't want to second guess another women's decision. But I do know from personal experience with other women facing this decision that doctors do not always help their patients give truly informed consent. Gyns who perform hysterectomies can be biased in favor of this operation. Older women are still being told, "What's the big deal? You are certainly not going to have any more children...".

I will never forget reading an interview with a male gyn concerning hysterectomies. He was asked whether there was a diminishing sexual response in a woman with no uterus (one of the hottest controversies concerning this operation). The doctor said absolutely not. And how did he know this? Why he asked his patients. Yes, this male dr. is personally asking his middle aged and older female patients about their orgasms and he thinks this answers the question!
Old 01-31-03, 09:43 PM  
Connie
VF Supporter

Just piping back up here! I actually posted in Cathe's pregnancy forum a few mos. ago saying how much easier it was to do Circuit Max and some of the CTX hi-lo after practicing.

Now I can do an "explosive Kegel" (my name for it) every time I land on those half-jacks and quarter-jacks and what have you. But it's not totally fine like it was when I was nine years old or anything. This slight improvement is just from practicing doing Cathe workouts and muddling through with lots of bathroom breaks. Maybe fewer breaks in the last few months. Drinking 3 cups of coffee first probably does not help.

Yet another plus of home exercise. I had no idea this problem was so common! I thought I was more uncommonly problematic !

Anyway just an inspiration for those on the borderline I guess! Renee I am so glad you brought this sprightly topic to light! I hope you get true relief.

Maybe future generations can gain something from out discussions here. Sounds like major underinformation syndrome with male docs and closed-mouth patients!
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-03, 12:26 AM  
LovingLife
VF Supporter

One more question Gerrie (and anyone else who's had surgery) -- I just read today about a woman who had the surgery, then lifted her child (who was over 25 pounds) and all that was accomplished by the surgery was undone by this lifting. This made me think that I shouldn't do any type of surgery even if I get to the point of thinking that's my best option until my children are all past the lifting stage, which will be at least a few more years.

So the question is -- Have you had to really watch what you lift or have you been able to lift without worry?

-- Cathe

Old 02-05-03, 07:12 AM  
gerrie

I was given general post surgery instructions against "exertion". My children are past the "lifting" age. I would certainly ask the surgeon very specific questions about lifting (both weights and children). Make sure she knows that you lift weights. My dr. knew that I lifted weights and did not restrict me once I was past the six week post op period. But I don't lift very heavy (40 lbs. is my max.).
Old 02-05-03, 01:57 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Fitness Magazine, March 2003

has a paragraph on page 46 about bladder/exercise problems. They recommend what sounds, to me, like a standard groin stretch as a pelvic-floor strengthener: "Sit with soles of feet together. Draw feet closer to body with hands, allowing knees to fall toward floor. Hold one minute."

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pelvic floor dysfunction, pelvic prolapse