Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-03, 09:32 AM  
Jenne
VF Supporter

Thanks Lisa! That sounds really good. Lat pulldowns were my favorite exercise at the gym, so it'll be nice to get to do them again.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 10:57 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by caragoub
do you think that Cathe takes less risks with her form, and it would therefore be safer to use her rather than joyce?
First off, don't forget to pick up that rotator cuff book. You'll learn some anatomy and biomechanics from it which will help you make wiser choices for yourself in the future. You'll also learn about stretches that are an important part of keeping your shoulders healthy.

I can't compare Cathe with Joyce since I've never seen any of Joyce's material. But here's my non-expert opinion on some problems you might find with Cathe. She does a few questionable exercises. For shoulders, these include upright rows (Kathryn's modification of doing them with your hands parallel is a good one) and Arnold Presses.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenne
The arnold press freaks me out, though. I can't see how that's safe for anyone, let alone those of us with questionable joints.
I agree completely!!!

From reading about others' injuries on this board, the volume Cathe uses -- especially for the shoulders -- seems to present problems for some folks. I think Susan P. note this in a recent thread. There also seems to be far more work for the shoulders than the upper back. As discussed, this can lead to problems. And I worry about routines that split chest and shoulders into different days because pretty much whenever you work your chest, you're working your shoulders too.

Quote:
I have a question about the lat pull-down. I don't have access to a machine. What exercise can I do to build the same muscle and correct a possible imbalance?
Once you get strong enough doing the pulldowns as Lisa suggests, you might want to consider training chin-ups.

BTW, what the heck are those PeeWee laterals?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 11:30 AM  
desie

Quote:
I have a question about the lat pull-down. I don't have access to a machine. What exercise can I do to build the same muscle and correct a possible imbalance?
Swimming works for me. I am gradually increasing my shoulder strength and flexibility. Lifting weights for shoulders seems to limit my range of motion too much (and I do stretch, alot!). I prefer using tubing, or keeping to light weights, slow reps. Desie
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 11:37 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Pee Wee Laterals. Think lateral raise. Instead of bringing the dumbbells down to your side/slightly front, you take them behind your back. Not pretty!

Karen, I've ordered the book. Thanks for the link.

I also use the door attachment with bands and tubes. Love it.

Cara, Peak Performance Fitness is a book, not a video. I'm not sure that it would help you. I haven't read the upper body section but maybe I should. I use it to rehab a torn IT band which is another injury. From gardening. The good news is I never have to pull weeds again!

Linda
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 11:41 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

From reading about others' injuries on this board, the volume Cathe uses -- especially for the shoulders -- seems to present problems for some folks. I think Susan P. note this in a recent thread. There also seems to be far more work for the shoulders than the upper back. As discussed, this can lead to problems. And I worry about routines that split chest and shoulders into different days because pretty much whenever you work your chest, you're working your shoulders too.

Once you get strong enough doing the pulldowns as Lisa suggests, you might want to consider training chin-ups.

BTW, what the heck are those PeeWee laterals?
I can't figure out the PeeWees either -- would like a better picture.

For my own post-injury routine (injury had nothing to do with Cathe!!) I find I can do almost none of her shoulder stuff except for side raises -- this is okay since I just substitute my physical therapy stuff.

My shoulders have always been weak -- I've never dreamed of going over 5# for anything focusing on that muscle group. So maybe they were an accident waiting to happen. It's true that since I retired last April I've been doing more multi-rep weight stuff (have had more time) and I've noticed on and off twingyness in the shoulders.

So I don't mind backing off -- I want to save those joints for chaturanga and wheel -- and now I'm inspired to try that lat pull down thing and maybe chin ups someday (well, maybe in another life ).

It's all a learning experience.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 11:42 AM  
caragoub
VF Supporter

thanks again

don't know what an "arnold press" is...

but I'll go get the rotator cuff book, and now I know how to modify Cathe.

Today the PT used an ultrasound to get deep into my shoulders...OWWWW

I'm wondering if "Dynamic Tension" wouldn't be a good alternative too, as it doesn't use weight (at least I don't think so??)

Okay, so I guess I'm not getting the "Peak performance" video :rolleyes: ...

thanks again...

Cara
Old 01-29-03, 11:54 AM  
Jenne
VF Supporter

My shoulder is hurting just thinking about those PeeWee laterals!

The Arnold press is when you start at the top of a bicep curl, then rotate your hands outward as you raise them. Then you rotate back inward as you lower them. I hope that's a good description. I had heard of them but had never seen them until I saw the Pure Strength shoulder work.

I'm definitely going to start working more on chin-ups, since one of my 2003 goals is to do a chin-up. Right now I can barely hang, but maybe the band pull-downs will help.
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 01:04 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Thanks for the description of those PeeWee laterals. Yikes!

Quote:
Right now I can barely hang, but maybe the band pull-downs will help.
This brings up a question for Lisa:

Are your bands heavy enough to challenge you for rows and pull downs? Which bands do you use?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 01:38 PM  
Judy SP

A rehab'd rotator cuff

I rehabbed a rotator cuff and biceps tendonitis last year (complicated by arthritis that cause impingement) and I will re-iterate what everyone else has said - listen to your PT!!! Don't try to work out on your own. I worsened my condition before I sought medical help by continuing to do biceps curls when I thought it was just a problem with my shoulder - I found out from the orthopedist that the biceps tendonitis was up around my shoulder where it all connects together! Lesson learned!

I don't know what Dynamic Tension is Cara, but when I started with my second (and successful) PT, he had me start with isometric exercises for my rotator cuff - I sort of had my arm against a wall (bent at a 90 degree angle) and tried to rotate it out against the wall - I had a similar exercise for the opposite movement pushing in. I worked up slowly to weights under his supervision, getting massages, stretches (ow, ow, ow at first) and ultraound. I said my second PT because I was not happy with my first - she wasn't pushing me and I wasn't making progress.

It was a slow and sometimes painful progress but I'm back to upper body weight training - with lots of care and modification when necessary.
Old 01-29-03, 03:23 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenP
This brings up a question for Lisa:
Are your bands heavy enough to challenge you for rows and pull downs? Which bands do you use?
No, they're not. I have the toughest ones I could get, and I can't remember where I got them! (Anne are you out there? I think you gave me the link to that company). I can either "choke up" on them or do more reps. But I find I can work my upper back pretty well doing inversions--handstands, elbow stands and headstands all work my upper back. It's not pulling though.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jennifer rhodes, pee wee lateral