Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-18, 02:54 PM  
daisyduke

Would you buy a used gym quality treadmill or a new low quality one

I’m looking to buy a treadmill.

In my local area there is a life fitness treadmill that was made 2001. Seller says it’s in good shape.

Or on amazon there is a low quality one brand new for a lower price with good reviews. I can also purchase a warranty

Which would you purchase?

Thank you
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 03:48 PM  
bubbles76

Depends on the condition of the gym quality treadmill and how often I thought I was going to use the treadmill. If I knew I was going to use the treadmill as my main form of cardio I would go with the higher quality one, if it was in good to great shape. How much lower price is the lower quality one?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 03:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i would also consider how much room you have. the gym versions are usually bigger and take up a larger footprint. i would also ask where it was stored, and i'd take a look at it. if it was stored or used in the patio, there might be a lot of dust on the belt, and that's where a lot of problems can begin. the dust can get taken up into the motor.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 04:05 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I guess it depends on what you mean by “low quality.” Fewer bells and whistles? Will you use the bells and whistles on the used one? Smaller motor? Do you need a bigger motor for a bigger person? I’m not sure anyone really needs a gym quality treadmill in a home because it’s likely not going to take the beating it will in a gym. How much of a beating has it taken already? LifeFitness is a good treadmill, though.

I’d never buy anything I consider “low” quality. Also, the used one is pretty old. I’d also get more info from the seller about how the used one has been used and by whom. And read reviews on each brand/model.

Not much help, but some things to think about.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 04:39 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I would def buy the used higher quality one. They probably bought it with the best of intentions then only used it for a short time, then turned it into a coat rack. It is probably in excellent condition, especially if it is from a home with no smoking/no pets. I also especially prefer the idea of buying used from an environmental standpoint.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:12 PM  
jusca

Depends on the price and condition of the used one. I'd go for higher quality and older if there are still parts to fix it when the time comes.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:19 PM  
rhbrand

Kind of depends on how old the used quality one was. If it were just a 2-3 years old, and not that used, I'd go for it. Way to many people get a treadmill, and use it the first couple months, then it sits and takes up space, and people want to sell it for the room.

If it were much older than 3 years, or way used, like in a gym or something, I might go for a new one with less bells and whistles for the warranty.
Old 09-17-18, 06:17 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I should think that with the used treadmill, even if overall it is in very good condition, you will need to get a new belt. Belts get worn and slippery. I'd check out the price for a new belt for that model before you go to see it. Be sure you can get parts for that model.

For myself, I would look for a treadmill without any bells and whistles but of the best quality I could afford.
Old 09-17-18, 12:00 PM  
Hazel Porter

Unless the used one has been serviced regularly and has a new(er) belt and deck, I'd buy the other.
Old 09-17-18, 02:35 PM  
adrien_73

Not sure what brand you are considering on Amazon, but when I bought my Sole treadmill I did a LOT of research and this site was the most helpful:

https://www.treadmilldoctor.com/

Unfortunately I have not been able to use my Sole for a few years. I live in a condo and my neighbor in the townhouse beside me complained. It was awesome while I was using it though!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, treadmills