Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-18, 01:36 PM  
TinaT

Yard Work and Calorie Burn!

Mondays are always "yard work" days for me. Today I decided to wear my Polar HR Monitor to see if YW really burned calories or got my HR into a good burning zone.

If I can say one thing about myself, it's that my heart and lungs have been in great condition for quite some time, regardless of my weight see-sawing. So, I just assumed YW didn't really do anything for me.

OMGoodness! I didn't realize how much my heart was working. 2 hr or 120 minutes, burned 700 calories and was in the zone for 1 hr 15 mins of it. I was above my targeted HR I think the other 45 mins. No kidding. I am happily surprised and now understand why I'm a bit fatigued at the end of it every Monday.

I knew YW was great for the upper body with all the raking, etc. but I didn't expect to burn calories like this or have my average HR be 133 and the highest was 159.

Now I have one more reason to enjoy working in the yard.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 02:07 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Wow, that's surprising and great to know! As you said, no wonder you're tired after your Monday yard workouts!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 02:12 PM  
TinaT

Dorothy ~ I was thinking I would have a tough time keeping my HR above 111, which is my minimum. My zone should be 111-143. I would normally come in and workout after being int the yard and by evening time, I was useless. Now I know why!
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-18, 03:29 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm going to wear my HRM next time I'm doing yard work, which in Florida in the summer is often!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 07:10 AM  
AnMrsDe

I can definitely understand how yard work is a good way to stay active! I have a Sweet Gum tree that drops prickly seeds 5-6 months out of the year, so I am constantly stooping to pick up all those (can't stand a messy yard). I've been known to go out and pick them up in the zero temperatures of January (when the snow has melted!). In my opinion, the tree is only beautiful 2-4 weeks out of the whole year (when the leaves change colors), LOL!

Thankfully, in the summer months, it doesn't drop them but I have other outside yard work with mowing, planting, mulching, etc. A few times I wore my Fitbit while mowing my front and back yard and it is equivalent to 2 miles worth of steps (and yes, I count it as a workout!). I moan and complain about my tree in my checkin, but in reality, it is a good way for me to stay active all year long!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 08:23 AM  
Exercise Diva

I'm not surprised at all by this. When I used to mow the lawn years back, I remember putting on my HRM to see how much of a calorie burn there was and I was shocked at how high my HR was - and our lawn was pretty flat.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 08:46 PM  
marki64

I think yard work is a great workout!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 08:28 AM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I think yard work is a great workout!
I totally agree. Same with shoveling snow, raking leaves etc. Some days when I don't have time to exercise but I did 3 hours of yard work, it's good enough for me. And the thing about yard work, it's so satisfying. You look at your yard and see the results; all the hard work, the beauty of the yard and being outside. It's a mental benefit as well as a physical benefit.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yard max