Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-17, 09:11 AM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I'm also considering New Rules of Lifting Abs or Women. I've had a rough year and now I'm recovering from an illness. I don't want an instructor telling me I'm doing great or some such thing when I know I'm starting at square one.
I absolutely adored NROLW. It was my obsession for over a year, and I got so strong and learned so much about lifting. It really came at one of those 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear' points in my life. I had just gotten diagnosed with osteoporosis and wanted to take weight training more seriously. I highly recommend it, but you do need access to a gym. Especially squat racks, pull up bars, lat pull downs, lots of exercises most of us cannot duplicate at home.

I did get the NROL for abs later, but never got into it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 09:11 AM  
ellaenchanted

I was also thinking of going to the library to browse their selection. they have lots of diet books in e-book format but not fitness/exercise books so I made a request that they consider expanding their collection. Print books at easier to use for workouts but e-books at easier to borrow/return.

It's funny how I am going "old school" and returning to books for workouts. Also, I am now spoiled by all the free quality digital content out there.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 10:19 AM  
warriorprincess

I'm a big fan of Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD. I first got his book, Supple Leopard, and later subscribed to his website for about six months. On his workout of the day, he or other trainers, always doctors, show and explain to you how to press, roll, squeeze, and all the other mobility stuff you do. The problem for me is they spend about 3 minutes walking you through what they want you to do for the next 20 minutes. Great in theory, but I generally play the WOD 2-3 times and when it's over, I'm over. Love the concept and the personalities and the expertise though. It's become part of my regular routine.

Old 08-17-17, 11:26 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thanks to your thread about Pahla Bowers, I've been using some of her HIIT and steady state workouts. They are a nice diversion from my favorite form of cardio, which is step. I'm planning to try Jenny Ford's Step By Step 3 on youtube today.

Bubbles, I'm looking into online step workouts, too. I like moderately complex choreography, but am a slow learner. I'd be interested in any gems that you might find.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 11:39 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Jessica Smith Youtube videos. Amazing!!! It has made such a difference that I plan to donate to her! Very impressed!!!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 11:55 AM  
sciencelady

I go to a kettlebell studio three times a week for workouts and take my dog to a dog park for a 45 minute walk every day. That's been my workout schedule since retiring.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 12:25 PM  
warriorprincess

The last few weeks I've been walking on the treadmill a couple of times a week, keeping my heart rate at 180 - my age, a la Mark Sisson's Primal Endurance book. I prefer to do this to cardio videos, but my heart rate is all over the place, and I have to modify a lot to keep it under the magic number. On the treadmill, I can keep it there exactly.

The theory is you eventually can do more and more work, while maintaining the low heart rate (thus building endurance). I'm going to do this for a few months and see how it goes.

Old 08-17-17, 12:45 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Essentrics TV streaming and Bellyfit downloads. Love both.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 12:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Essentrics TV streaming and Bellyfit downloads. Love both.
Oh yeah, that's going to be my fall rotation!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 01:28 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

DH has a machine that lets you switch between a recumbent bike and a rowing machine. I recently discovered that I enjoy rowing and that it is much more full-body. I alternate that with YouTube videos. Sometimes, I'll use Jessica Smith. Sometimes, I just type in a search describing the kind of workout I'm in the mood for and see what pops up.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kathy smith walking, paper workouts, walking audio, walking cds