Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-17, 09:20 PM  
Theeearn

Heavy (heavier) lifting program advise please

Hello everyone, I am not new to videofitness but I am shy and rarely post. I have been doing high rep endurance stuff for the past 2 years e.g. Tonique, Dream body, Hamelin and of course running. Over the past year in spite of being very consistent and watching what I eat, I have noticed i am not changing for the better and I look puffy I guess. So I am thinking of trying heavy (heavier) lifting program mixed with cardio. It worked well for me years ago. I am a single mom and cannot go to the gym. I do have a lot of home equipment I have accrued over the years. I am looking at either strong by bret, Strong Curves, or Get Glutes. If any of you have done these programs and have input it would be greatly appreciated. 😀
Theeearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 05:41 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I tried to go to one of those programs after focusing for years on short, high-intensity workouts. Those programs are significantly longer workouts. I found out I didn't have enough endurance to do them, and I didn't stick with them. So I can't give you any thoughts on "results". Since you are coming from an endurance background, you may enjoy them!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 07:02 AM  
bubbles76

If you do a tag search for Strong Curves or Bret Contreras you will get a lot of hits on these programs. In fact, I'm tagging this thread so it will be easier for others to search. Of course, I hope others chime in here to give you more suggestions outside of Bret. I'm always looking for a heavier lifting program, although I am not quite there physically yet to handle it. Are you just looking for paper workouts or would you be open for dvds?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 07:38 AM  
Theeearn

Ok thank you. I did a search and found some threads about his programs. I should do that before posting, my apologies. I am open to paper workouts or videos. I just need something that I can do at home or at least modify for home.
Theeearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 07:59 AM  
bubbles76

Oh no need to apologize! Many people here don't know how to use the tag feature, so I was just putting that suggestion out there. I've actually heard good things about Strong Curves. I THINK New Rules of Lifting is a heavy weight program, but I'm not sure. Have you tried any of the programs at bodybuilding.com? They are free I believe there are some heavier weight programs out there and some are adaptable to using at home.

Since you're open to dvds, Kelly Coffey Meyer's Muscle Up and Cathe Friedrich's STS Mesocycle 3 are heavier weight workouts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 02-15-17, 08:16 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

I'm new to Nia Shanks and doing her free Beautiful Bad Ass program and enjoying it She has other programs that you pay for. I enjoy her approach.

http://www.niashanks.com/

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 11:28 AM  
Hazel Porter

If you want to lift heavy, I'd recommend Cathe's STS Mesocycles 2 and/or 3 or Beachbody's Body Beast (if you can take Sagi, that is) or the original P90X (if you can take Tony, that is). Amy Bento also has an (older) split workout that's heavy -- I can't think of the name at the moment, though.
Old 02-15-17, 11:47 AM  
Jags

Another very worthy contender in the book/paper lifting program genre to consider is Brad Schoenfeld's Strong & Sculpted.

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Sculpt...rad+schoenfeld

I haven't followed it, but he is an excellent and respected trainer.

I have read and used Strong Curves and NROL-W too, but would go with Brad if I were to use a paper program right now.

Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 01:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how about CLX? the workouts are short too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 02:05 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
Amy Bento also has an (older) split workout that's heavy -- I can't think of the name at the moment, though.
Slo Mo Strength! That one is a goody. Some people thought some of the moves were creative though.

Tags
bret contreras, get glutes, heavy weight workouts, paper workouts, strong curves