Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-17, 06:41 AM  
little bird

Someone already mentioned Leslie's WalkBlasters. She also has Tone Every Zone that has 3 twenty minute workouts (Upper body/Lower body and Cardio)
Old 01-18-17, 07:45 AM  
SuzieC

Jessica Smith's walk strong program is great and includes a lot of variety like cardio, strength, fusion, stretching. It's 30 minutes a day and comes with a rotation calendar which takes all the thinking out of the equation. The set is nice and bright. It is available in digital and DVD formats.

Here is more info:
http://walkonwalkstrong.com/
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 08:10 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

PowerFit, PowerFit Harmony, Jessica Smith, & Essentrics would be my recs.

[EDIT] And Ellen Barrett too!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 08:54 AM  
Ann1964

Shut up and Train by Lauren Brooks if you like kettlebells
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 05:40 PM  
Kitten

There is a restarter/beginner check in:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=214044

It's a loose check in, check as often as you like. I'll be checking in Mondays through Saturdays mostly.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 08:51 PM  
RHend

Wow! So many great recommendations and ideas. So I went thru my workouts to see what I already have. Its been so long since I used any of them I'd forgotten!

I have season 8 of Classical Stretch. The PBS stations where I live air other seasons, so I've set the DVR to record a few since they come on REALLY early in the morning. Turns out they also have Suzanne Andrews Functional Fitness shows.

I have quite a few of KCM’s workouts (including Start Here and Cardio Quick Fix), Stephanie Huckabee’s Powerfit, a few by Jessica Smith, a bunch of Gilad’s, several by Chris Freytag, a bunch of Leslie Sansone’s workouts, even a few of Ellen Barrett.

I actually have quite a few of the workouts mentioned, but I guess I’ve forgotten what they are like and wasn’t even sure I could do them because I’m really out of shape! Trying to figure out which were easier, or could be modified down, or were short was just overwhelming so I’d end up doing nothing more than walking on the treadmill and stretching. Its good to know that I already have some stuff that should be doable. AND since I haven’t done them in so long, they will seem like new workouts! LOL

Aunt Famous, I already have Andrea Metcalf’s Keeping Fit, but I really, really appreciate your very kind offer!

I don’t have Jessica’s Burn Fat & Have Fun, Leslie’s Walk to the Hits or 5 Really Big Miles, so I’ll put those on my list to look at. I’m not sure I’ve even heard of Fe Fit, so I HAVE to find out about it! Aimee Nicotera, and Jeanette Jenkins are totally new to me, so I’ll check out their workouts. Thanks for the recommendations!

I’ve heard of Jane Adams and have been looking at her Balance & Strength. This one is definitely on my list to buy.

Thanks for the invite and the link to the check-in. I’ll be in to say “hello” soon!
Old 01-18-17, 11:38 PM  
LizEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHend View Post
I have quite a few of KCM’s workouts (including Start Here and Cardio Quick Fix), Stephanie Huckabee’s Powerfit, a few by Jessica Smith, a bunch of Gilad’s, several by Chris Freytag, a bunch of Leslie Sansone’s workouts, even a few of Ellen Barrett.

I actually have quite a few of the workouts mentioned, but I guess I’ve forgotten what they are like and wasn’t even sure I could do them because I’m really out of shape! Trying to figure out which were easier, or could be modified down, or were short was just overwhelming so I’d end up doing nothing more than walking on the treadmill and stretching. Its good to know that I already have some stuff that should be doable. AND since I haven’t done them in so long, they will seem like new workouts! LOL
[...]
I don’t have Jessica’s Burn Fat & Have Fun, Leslie’s Walk to the Hits or 5 Really Big Miles, so I’ll put those on my list to look at. I’m not sure I’ve even heard of Fe Fit, so I HAVE to find out about it! Aimee Nicotera, and Jeanette Jenkins are totally new to me, so I’ll check out their workouts. Thanks for the recommendations!
[...]
I was GOING to recommend Chris Freytag! Her workouts never fit with me, though, so I didn't throw her in to the mix. I really like her, however, personality-wise, and think she would be a great instructor to restart with.

Aimee is VERY low key and subdued, which some can find boring I would imagine, but I find her REALLY calming, and, consequently, enouraging and motivating. (No cheering you on or any impassioned "Give me one more!" lines.) She makes everything seem doable and really manageable. She includes modifiers in ALL of her workouts (showing Level 1 moves -- beginners, Level 2 moves -- int., and Level 3 moves -- adv.), so you may not even need to modify on your own. I don't do her often beause I prefer other types of workouts, but her workouts tend to sneak up on me!

FeFit has a few (6, actually), 15 min. clips on YouTube that you can check out. (Scroll down to the bottom of the list to find them.)

I really like Jeanette but have never done the circuit workout that was recommended. I didn't think of her for you because she tends to be more advanced/create more advanced workouts, BUT, she actually has two other workouts that may work for you once you're a little farther along in your fitness journey or even NOW if you want to do some modifying -- mostly bodyweight with some sculpting (light weight work) and cardio (Jeanette's most oft used and cardio of choice is kickboxing) -- Cardio Sculpt and Cross Training. I actually think both of these may be on YouTube, as well. (Only Cross Train, it appears.)

When you try her, or anyone's workout, just make it work for you! Don't go so deep in a squat, use lighter weights (or NO weights at all!, esp. for lower body work), don't kick as high, do a move slower. Just do what you can. I feel like when I'm not where I want to be fitness-wise, it's important to focus on things I enjoy and like doing. If I can't keep up with the instructor, I don't care. I know I'll get better. It's just important for me to not DREAD working out, so boring stuff or workouts that ANNOY me are OUT. It doesn't matter if I can't complete a workout or look like the instructor doing it, if I'm enjoying myself and having fun, I'm good.

I'm not a Leslie person, but when I restarted last year, I did the workouts I mentioned for about a week. They are FUN and motivating, and, since I know you are already a Leslie fan, I think you would REALLY love those. (I did NOT like the Walk To the Hits Radio Remixes one, but that is just a personal preference. Plus, there are a lot of jumping jacks in it. Note that she incorporates "HIIT" moves -- bursts of higher intensity moves in all of the Hits dvds, but those in the Walk To The Hits: All Time Favorites and Walk To The Hits: Party Songs [my favorite] were less intense and doable.)

And, I forgot to mention her Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan in my other post! Another good one. Some of the miles have fabulous music.

Are you familiar with TotalFitnessDVDs? EXCELLENT clips of TONS of DVDs. You can go there to "research" and check out the things you're interested in. And, there's a running 10% off code (10OFF) for customers to use when they're ready to make their purchase.
Old 01-19-17, 06:03 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

My fave beginner workout, which I still use, is Gilad's sister Ada Jankowicz's "Basic Training" from the 90s. It's half low impact cardio, half simple weight training with light weights (2-5 lbs?). Not complicated and moves gently in a joint-friendly way. About an hour in total but can easily be used as 2 separate workouts. Nice way to build up endurance, muscle fatigue and a light sweat. Can definitely be used through (low?) intermediate as well.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 08:01 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 08:14 AM  
CarlaVeg

I like the 10 minute solution dvds when I am re-starting. I can 20 min or 30 or 40 depending of my level of energy.

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 day total body circuit, beginner workouts, denise austin befit, jessica smith, leslie sansone, mirabai holland, restarters, stacey milner-collins