Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-17, 07:08 PM  
RHend

Beginner/Restarter recommendations?

I've been out of the workout loop for quite awhile, so I really don't know if there's much new out there especially for beginners/restarters. My motivation has been pretty low for some time, but maybe it would help to having something new to encourage me to actually put it in the DVD player and press play.

I recently picked up Jessica Smith's 10 Minute Quick Walk Mix, but haven't used it yet. Has Leslie Sansone put out anything new during the last year or so? Its sometimes hard to tell when her DVDs are new or if they are a compilation of older workouts. I always liked Leslie, even at her goofiest!

I'd also be interested in something that alternates cardio/strength, very beginnerish, and preferably 30 minutes or less or something that can be broken up into shorter workouts. I don't have alot of endurance or energy, so something upbeat would be great!

I am also thinking that a check-in would be a good idea so I will have some accountability to keep moving. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!!
Old 01-17-17, 07:22 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm a fan of Classical Stretch, they've got good options for perennial restarters like me.

I do also like Jessica's walking workouts, since I can pick my own intensity level.
Old 01-17-17, 07:28 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm a fan of Classical Stretch, they've got good options for perennial restarters like me.

I do also like Jessica's walking workouts, since I can pick my own intensity level.
These two were on my short list. If you're not looking to purchase anything, Classical Stretch is on most PBS channels, Jessica Smith has her YouTube channel.
Old 01-17-17, 08:58 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Stephanie Huckabee's PowerFit 20 minute workouts are good for restarters and beginners. They use bands for some of the workouts. If you don't have them, I have an extra set that I would mail you for postage.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:07 PM  
LizEMA

I BELIEVE Leslie's last release was Miracle Miles, but she's not an instructor I ever really reach for so I may be wrong.

In other beginner/restarting threads, others have mentioned Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit as great for getting back in to things.

When I'm low on motivation or energy, I just always go to favorite instructors or workouts and choose the least intense offerings. Whatever puts me in a good mood and lifts me up.

Do you have any favorite instructors? What types of workouts were you doing when you were exercising?

Do you have Leslie's Walk to the Hits dvds? Those are super fun, and the music is great. I also really like 5 Really Big Miles. She incorporates toning into 2 of the miles, using a resistance band.

Jessica's Burn Fat + Have Fun is a nice DVD. She has some cardio, some strength training. There are 3 workouts on the DVD, each one is 30-32 mins long. (Her Boost Metabolism + Musle looks good, as well.) Of course, as others have already suggested, you can just go to her YouTube channel and try one of her free workouts. There's a TON of them, and they vary in length, type, intensity, purpose. She has a whole Playlist for beginners and a bunch of other specific classifications (eg: knee-friendly, strength training, barre, cardio, chair workouts, etc.)

Fe Fit is a program that alternates cardio and strength with all the workouts clocking in at 30 mins.

I LOVE Kelly Coffey Meyer and find her works to be fairly easy to modify up or down depending on fitness level. All of her workouts are 30 mins, and she incorporates cardio and strength. (Sometimes, you would have to do a premix of hers to alternate strength and cardio, but, depending on the workout, you can get both.) She has a DVD Start Here which was specifically made for beginners and restarters. Also, Cardio Quickfix, though listed as intermediate, I found to be high beginner-low intermediate but FUN. I think those two DVDs would be your best bet from her right now.

There's so much stuff out there, knowing what you enjoy/enjoyed doing and any kind of limitations (I think, IIRC, you mentioned you had a cranky back in your other post?) might help in getting more specific, personalized recommendations. We all have such varied tastes and opinions here.

Aimee Nicotera released a couple of series (3 volumes in each), Take 20 and 2x2 Conditioning, both which alternate or combine strength and cardio and are only 20-30 mins long. Both series are easy to modify up or down.

Do you have any of the 10 Minute Solution DVDs? Those might be good for you to start getting in to the groove again. They're, as the name suggests, 10 minute segments (usually 5 of them), that you can choose to do just one or all.

Are you a fan of Kathy Smith? I think her workouts might be what you're looking for. If you don't mind some nostalgia and big hair , she's got quite a library. Or Denise Austin? I know she's a very polarizing instructor. I tend to fall in the "don't love" camp, BUT I've warmed up to her considerably as I've gotten older. And, she put out one of my go-to workouts. I've since found two others of her that I quite like -- Sculpt & Burn Body Blitz and Ultimate Fat Burner Workout. Both are on YouTube and both incorporate both strength and cardio. Blitz is 4 10 min segments plus warm up and cool down, and Ultimate Fat Burner is ~45 mins, I think. Lionsgate BeFit has uploaded, it seems, all of her workouts since the late 90's to their YT acount so you can leisurely peruse their channel.

Do you have any of Minna Lessig's stuff? I remember reading a lot of great reviews for her offerings -- Tank Top Arms, 1 Minute Workout, Emergency workout. And, IIRC, again, she does both cardio and toning.

Or, were you just looking for new(er) workouts, stuff you don't already have? In that case, disregard pretty much everything I just said.
Old 01-17-17, 09:19 PM  
Titus2woman

I am also beginning again. Right now Jessica Smith's WalkOn is perfect, and I second the recommendation for Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit Harmony. They are only 20 minutes and I think available on YouTube right now.

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:22 PM  
smilesolovely

Jeanette Jenkins The Hollywood Trainer 21 Day Total Body Circuit
Old 01-17-17, 09:36 PM  
cpcathy

I am also restarting (and my motivation is a work in progress), I am using the 10 minute Jessica Smith walks, and Tracy Anderson's Mat Workout for Beginners--it's three separate 25 minute workouts, no heavy lifting.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 09:45 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 10:19 PM  
Aunt Famous

I have Andrea Metcalf's 3 disc Keeping Fit set on my share the wealth list. Take a look at it, and if it interests you, PM me. It can be yours for a SASE.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 day total body circuit, beginner workouts, denise austin befit, jessica smith, leslie sansone, mirabai holland, restarters, stacey milner-collins