Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-16, 01:18 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

weights paper workouts - how many min for TB workout?

this question refers to weight training.

assuming you're going at a reasonable pace w/o rushing through it, how many minutes do you strive to work out in a given session? this includes w/u & c/d. i realize you can make it any length you want, but i was curious what the average might be.

most paper workouts tend to list the move, reps, and sets. however, it doesn't always say how long it should take.

most of the strength training videos i've seen that just have toning and no cardio, like gym-style workouts, take 45 minutes or less.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 05:05 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Hi Bzar - I prefer following paper workouts for strength as I can go at my own pace. Right now I'm following a total body program. Each workout usually includes about 11 exercises. In the cycle I'm currently on, the rep scheme is about 20 reps. The program calls for three sets, but I'm only doing one set. (Every so often I may do two sets.) So, my estimate is that a one-set total body program takes me about 20-25 minutes; two sets maybe 30-35 minutes. I'll pay closer attention to the timing next workout and let you know.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:27 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Hi Bzar - I prefer following paper workouts for strength as I can go at my own pace. Right now I'm following a total body program. Each workout usually includes about 11 exercises. In the cycle I'm currently on, the rep scheme is about 20 reps. The program calls for three sets, but I'm only doing one set. (Every so often I may do two sets.) So, my estimate is that a one-set total body program takes me about 20-25 minutes; two sets maybe 30-35 minutes. I'll pay closer attention to the timing next workout and let you know.
-Anita
Anita - thanks! thanks for listing the # of exercises - that definitely has a bearing.

i recall doing a Joyce vedral workout - i think it was Definition. i wasn't keeping track of time, and before you know it, it was already 40 min. i had only gotten through UB and maybe 2 moves from LB.

i've done P90X L&B on paper, and it took me almost 50 min instead of the usual hour using Tony on DVD.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-06-16, 06:00 AM  
rheash92

Quote:
-Anita
Can you share which program you are using? Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 04:23 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard recommends three minutes per exercise, working the muscle again no later than the third day to maintain strength. I generally use weights every other day..
Old 10-07-16, 05:34 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Can you share which program you are using? Thanks!
Hi - I have way too many fitness books .... I purchased Jim Stoppani's Encyclopedia of Muscle and Strength. It's huge! He explains all the different methods of weight training, how and why they work, and gives examples of how to do them, such as Negative Reps, Hundreds Training, Drop-Set Training, etc etc. Everything you've ever heard of. The book is fascinating.

I'm following his "Beginner Overall Strength Program". It falls under the section of the book on "Training Cycles for Gaining Maximal Strength".
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 01:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Hi - I have way too many fitness books ....".
me too. I have all of Joyce Vedral's books, which have the moves illustrated and explained, and she usually provides a cheat sheet in the appendix of each book so that you can hang it up near your work area.

I also have a Rachel McLish book, Kiana Tom, several SHAPE magazine books, a Muscle & Fitness Hers book of strength training moves, and I recently purchased Women's Health Big Book of Exercises. WH also has one called Big Book of 15 Minute Workouts. I have the Men's Health book called Stronger Faster which has set routines that have the total minutes listed (chapter on 30 min routines, 45 min routines, etc.).

all of the above can be found at the library.

there's many routines on the internet too - you can go to Men's Health.com.

the few times I worked out on my own, I just went from head to toe and did 3 sets of a given move. example: bicep curls, weighted lunges, weighted plies, weighted curtsy lunges, French press, flyes, bench press, squats, calf raises.

Old 10-08-16, 12:11 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
this question refers to weight training.

assuming you're going at a reasonable pace w/o rushing through it, how many minutes do you strive to work out in a given session? this includes w/u & c/d. i realize you can make it any length you want, but i was curious what the average might be.

most paper workouts tend to list the move, reps, and sets. however, it doesn't always say how long it should take.

most of the strength training videos i've seen that just have toning and no cardio, like gym-style workouts, take 45 minutes or less.
A really wonderful book and resource that answers all of the questions that you posed above:

Men's Health - The Body You Want In The Time You Have.

I often use this book to do my workouts especially when I am short on time. It has workouts schemes for any number of days of the week that you have to workout (from 1-6) and for any number of minutes that you have (from 10 to 60 minutes).
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-16, 12:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
A really wonderful book and resource that answers all of the questions that you posed above is:

Men's Health - The Body You Want In The Time You Have.

I often use this book to do my workouts especially when I am short on time. It has workouts schemes for any number of days of the week that you have to workout (from 1-6) and for any number of minutes that you have (from 10 to 60 minutes).
great - thank you! it's quite cheap on half.com or amazon too. i love anything published by Men's Health.

Tags
paper workouts