Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-15, 03:09 PM  
lrb04

Hi Susan! I hope all pups are doing well (Mercy, Bruster & Gene)! Jelly is as spoiled as ever! . Where I workout we have a TV with an indoor antenna which works out great. In AZ we have lots of classic TV choices- Cozi TV 5.2, antenna TV 15.2, MeTV 7.2 & the newest Decades TV 61.2. Plus they have old game show channel which I see rarely but pretty fun to see those. Since I been stretching extra for 2 plus years now & realizing that the stretching after my Firms or other workouts was not helping me increase my flexibility because it was too few minutes to work on something that is in far more of need to me than strength. I was at one point years ago doing the Firms almost daily & not caring about stretching that my body was in pain. Walking was painful at times depending on my feet & my heredity tight hips were so tight that I was in extreme pain to cross my legs. I would get extreme pain for standing long periods & then lying down it was still painful, enough to make me scream, not too loud to upset Jelly! I felt older then my body was & after changing my routine where stretching workouts (yoga, CS & plain stretching) was a large part whereas strength went to the lowest part. I feel young & I rarely take Motrin & can run without trouble but I prefer to walk. I can do some flex moves I thought my body was incapable of doing but I still need to improve & when I miss a couple days my body really is craving it. I know as we age we need strength but my body can do the minimum amount & still basically look the same but the time I put into my flexibility has reaped many rewards so I go that way. I know many would not want to go my way but it works for me & I like to tell people that it is worth stretching more plus yoga has many strength elements as does Classical stretch. I rather watch Leave it to Beaver or Bewitched then follow an exercise strength DVD. I no longer have the desire for strength workouts that take longer then 20 minutes & I sometimes just do 10-15 minutes when I do strength by myself. Everyone is different. Take care!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 03:49 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Alta, great music really helps a lot. I switched to paper workouts about 6 years ago for my strength work and I'll never go back to DVDs. There were times in the beginning that I would literally play a DVD just to hear the chatter while I worked out. But I never got as a good of a strength workout with a DVD that I have doing them via paper.

Just a suggestion. It may help you.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-15, 04:08 PM  
susand

thanks fran, glad to hear it is working for you! pups doing well, gene is a bossy young thing, lol.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:49 AM  
jusca

I completely understand about paper workouts. I did the Abs Diet rotation for about 4 weeks. Good music playlists helps immensly with paper workouts.

I find that I can do paper workouts for a short while. Then I crave the group-like atmosphere the video offers plus I don't have to worry about putting together a different playlist every workout, counting reps, timing rests. Just showing up and following along is all I have to do for a video workout.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:52 AM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
I'm a dvd person, but when I actually do a paper workout, I put on a TurboFire dvd to play while I'm doing it. I just seem to have an easier time sticking to the paper workout if I have good music and I'm still sort of in a class setting.
I never thought to turn on a video while doing a paper workout. Thanks for sharing your idea!!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 04:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I don't know if it's a personality thing or if it boils down to how you think about strength training (so I guess a mindset thing), but after doing paper workouts, I don't think I'll ever go back to DVDs.

Yes, music is a big part of it. I will almost always prefer my own music, and music is a big factor in how much I enjoy my workouts.

But beyond that, I don't think there are any strength DVDs that are solidly designed and meet my needs. Plus, even if there are, I will want to change things from day to day anyway. (I change things in my paper workouts too, but it's so much easier to do.) I was always changing so many things about my strength DVD workouts from substituting exercises, to pausing to include other exercises, to skipping the endless bicep curls and crunches, etc. It required being a remote ninja and was a pain. On top of that, I love actually going at my own pace based on the weight I selected and not having to try to count my own reps over someone on the DVD counting slower or faster than me.
Yes this is how I feel about it. I was into videos for a long time (Cathe, KCM etc.) but now I use paper workouts for my strength training. Due to injuries I cannot do deadlifts and swings and it is easier to sub moves when working from a written program. I have either used programs from Nia Shanks or ones that were part of online group training. I also kind of make up my own workouts. I try to do the basic movements: Squat , hinge, push, pull etc. I do whatever move within each category that feels the best to me that day using biofeedback (testing range of motion.)
I actually tried KCMs Powersculpting from her LIFT DVD last week and I liked it but there were a bunch of moves I could not do. I think I tried it to convince myself that I could trade or sell it.
I still can do videos for other types of workouts including bodyweight, stretch and mobility, some cardio etc.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 04:48 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Alta, great music really helps a lot. I switched to paper workouts about 6 years ago for my strength work and I'll never go back to DVDs. There were times in the beginning that I would literally play a DVD just to hear the chatter while I worked out. But I never got as a good of a strength workout with a DVD that I have doing them via paper.

Just a suggestion. It may help you.
I agree. I love using my SONOS system when I work out at home. White Stripes Radio on Pandora is one of my favorites. I have actually discovered some new (to me) bands using this service.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

I think it is something about my brain that makes paper workouts a drag for me. Even when playing good music.

Happily, I have way too many DVDs.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 04:43 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

only what a true vidiot would say!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 04:46 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Me, too! But with the exception of Stronger Standing Balance (thanks for your review, VVFer) and a precious few others, I suspect that in 2016 most of my yoga DVDs will be resold or donated. Yesterday at the library I perused the book "2,100 Asanas" and realized the poverty of current yoga DVD offerings. It also hit me that I could think of only two yoga workouts that offered an effective progressive option: the aforementioned Stronger Standing Balance and Suzanne Deason's Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. Plus--I prefer to do yoga to the music and tempo of Gregorian Chant. So, I'll likely revert to paper for yoga in 2016, and I'll just have to create my own progressions.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paper workouts