Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-15, 04:10 PM  
chapina

Advanced exercisers: what do your rotations look like?

I need some rotation inspiration! I'd also like to hear what you do on your "easy" days, especially after having read on this forum and elsewhere that HiiT and super intense workouts should not be done every day.

Regarding my goals, I'm not looking to lose weight and I'm already consistent (I exercise every day - yoga/stretching on my rest day), but I would like to get more toned. I haven't followed a set rotation in a while and don't feel like following one set (e.g. P90X) exclusively when there is so much workout variety and so little time! I do, however, want to follow a balanced rotation, I guess with a little more emphasis on lower butt/thighs. I do not need help with the shoulder area - just wanted to mention this as I feel like a lot of weight lifting programs overemphasize shoulders.

So whether you do Tonique, Dream Body, Crossfit, Paul Katami, HoCo, Cathe or any other advanced workout, what does your week look like??

- Maria
chapina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 04:14 PM  
bubbles76

Great question! Though I do not consider myself an advanced exerciser, I hope to get there one day. Have you considered paper workouts? If you are looking for inspiration/motivation, that may be good to spice things up and keep it interesting.

Eagerly awaiting everyone's response, whether paper or dvd!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 04:24 PM  
chapina

Actually, I am VERY interested in paper workouts, or at least DVDs that translate well into paper workouts. I just moved into an apartment building that has a very well-equipped gym - dumbells, barbells, medicine balls, foam rollers, even a punching bag! (Note that I did not mention the cardio or weight machines, as I prefer free weights and the idea of running on a treadmill fills me with dread). I'm also interested in hearing those who do free online workouts (e.g. Zuzka) and how they incorporate those short workouts into their rotations. Eagerly awaiting everyone's responses!
chapina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 04:51 PM  
Sharaz

I own quite a bit of paper programs and also read fitness magazines frequently. I must say my fitness focus is lifting weights for strength and body composition. And yes I am obsessed with my butt even thought is round and big already, I want to maintain it and willing to take more. I must follow progressive overload constantly and change workouts variables because my body adapt quickly.

When I am not following a straight paper program, I try to mimic with DVD what I have seen. For example, pretty much all the paper program I own starts with a 4 week of Total Body or upper/lower, then move to splits and then change the splits a bit but more intensity as higher volume, shorter rest periods, more cardio etc. I am just re-starting after a break and that's why I choose my current rotation Total Body x 3. The cardio on the programs I own are not a set rule. There is both HIIT and steady state. One thing, for bikini fitness model lower body focus my programs always incorporate plyometrics.

You can cut shoulder work in half if you want to. I don't overload my biceps/triceps because they are well defined and muscular. I don't go for failure with these two muscle groups.

I am off for dinner may come back later...
Old 07-12-15, 04:55 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapina View Post
Actually, I am VERY interested in paper workouts, or at DVDs that translate well into paper workouts. I just moved into an apartment building that has a very well-equipped gym - dumbells, barbells, medicine balls, foam rollers, even a punching bag! (Note that I did not mention the cardio or weight machines, as I prefer free weights and the idea of running on a treadmill fills me with dread). I'm also interested in hearing those who do free online workouts (e.g. Zuzka) and how they incorporate those short workouts into their rotations. Eagerly awaiting everyone's responses!
Free female training paper program upper/lower

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ul...ing-guide.html
Old 07-12-15, 04:59 PM  
bubbles76

Sharaz, what do you think of Jamie Eason's Live Fit program? My neighbor wants me to join the gym with her, and I've pondered doing this program at the gym. Or at least passing the program on to her. I haven't looked into it with any depth, but I did notice that the first phase didn't have much cardio.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 07:17 PM  
Tugger31

I have printed out the workout templates for Body Beast and feel those translate very well at the gym with dumbbells I have also included a link with great reviews of the program to help familiarize yourself with the exercises so the workout sheets will make more sense.

http://sweetlife.sharpefit.netdna-cd...worksheets.pdf

http://dumbbellsanddiapers.com/bodybeast

I have similar goals as you. I also feel that many workouts over-emphasize shoulders, so I tweak Body Beast and other workouts and go lighter on the shoulder work. I feel with the bombardment of "metabolic workouts" in the fitness world, that has contributed as well with so many compound moves to aid in calorie burn/intensity.

I have done a 5 day a week rotation most recently using Cathe's Great Glutes once a week, Cathe's Lean Legs and Abs once a week, doing a higher rep/lighter weight total upper body day either alone or paired with cardio and the other 2 days I'll do a steady state cardio and the 5th day I'll do either HiiT, another steady state cardio or yoga. I'm pretty flexible this day with what I choose.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 07:23 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharaz View Post
Free female training paper program upper/lower

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ul...ing-guide.html
Sharaz- Thank you for the link. It has a lot of good information. Welcome back! Missed your input on training. Carly
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 08:33 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Sharaz- Thank you for the link. It has a lot of good information. Welcome back! Missed your input on training. Carly
Thanks Carly, i really appreciate it i am glad that i am able to interact with women interested in fitness like me here at VF.
Old 07-12-15, 08:36 PM  
Sharaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Sharaz, what do you think of Jamie Eason's Live Fit program? My neighbor wants me to join the gym with her, and I've pondered doing this program at the gym. Or at least passing the program on to her. I haven't looked into it with any depth, but I did notice that the first phase didn't have much cardio.
Jamie Eason is well respected in the field. I have not looked at the full breakdown of each workout, but looked at the training schedule at the bottom of the page. From what I see this is probably an hypertrophy rotation. The program is one or two body part per day plan. These type of rotations usually have cardio after lifting at low intensity using the treadmill, elliptical and stair master. Although some have interval training cardio. Bodybuilding splits usually put the cardio after weights because they want you to have all energy at beginning while lifting and there is research that indicates that cardio after weights burn more fat. If my time is limited and I am not able to do the cardio after lifting, I will do the cardio in a separate workout which is morning at home for me. You can track your progress and decide if you need more cardio. i personally need a little more during hypertrophy programs. HTH

Tags
advanced rotations, paper workouts