Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-14, 10:00 PM  
SueT

Margaret Richard Rotation

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of trying a Margaret Richard rotation. Do any of you have a suggestion on how to rotate her workouts? I've got the Classics collection and Sculpture, and I'm thinking of ordering a few more. I know she has a few, like Good For You and Perfect 10, that are 30-minute workouts, and then I could add in rebounding, my exercise bike, my treadmill, or some kickboxing, and then maybe do Sculpture sometimes too.

I'm also looking for any suggestions on which workouts of Margaret's to order next. I did Forty and Fabulous today, and I think Margaret's workouts would be really good for me while my knee is gradually recovering from surgery. I can do a lot of things now, but I still have to be careful, and weighted squats still seem to aggravate my knee, so I'm backing off on them for now.

Thanks,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 07:17 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm thinking of trying a Margaret Richard rotation. Do any of you have a suggestion on how to rotate her workouts? I've got the Classics collection and Sculpture, and I'm thinking of ordering a few more. I know she has a few, like Good For You and Perfect 10, that are 30-minute workouts, and then I could add in rebounding, my exercise bike, my treadmill, or some kickboxing, and then maybe do Sculpture sometimes too.

I'm also looking for any suggestions on which workouts of Margaret's to order next. I did Forty and Fabulous today, and I think Margaret's workouts would be really good for me while my knee is gradually recovering from surgery. I can do a lot of things now, but I still have to be careful, and weighted squats still seem to aggravate my knee, so I'm backing off on them for now.

Thanks,
Sue
I think you could use any of them really and alternate them with your choice of cardio. I myself have the Classics DVD, Perfect 10, Getting Better and Muscle & Grace. Perfect 10 are 30 minute sessions. Getting Better also has 30 minute sessions, one for upper and one for lower body. Muscle and Grace I believe is the same as well.

Also, Margaret has been having a lot of sales lately, 30 and sometimes even 40% off. Maybe hold off until her next sale. I am on her email list and get notifications of her sales. Right now she is having a 30% off sale.

I like Perfect 10, I have not tried Getting Better and Muscle & Grace yet so I can't comment on those. I tend to migrate towards her workouts that are shorter. I also like 40 & Fabulous and High Voltage.

She has a lot of workouts to choose from, aside from the ones I have no others have really spoken to me though. She uses a lot of the same exercises in her DVDs so you really don't need that many. There are some unique ones in Perfect 10 though which prompted me to get that one.

Hope that helps! I like Margaret, she is calm and laid back but works you hard in a gentle manner. I need that somedays, plus her floorwork is really good.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 12:59 PM  
bzbnmom

How would you describe Margaret's workouts: Endurance, muscle building, functional fitness?

Thanks
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 08:27 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

40% off through Monday. I've never tried her. I'm off to look at some clips.

http://www.bodyelectrictv.com

ETA: Is she still making videos? They look good - just old.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-14, 11:10 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
How would you describe Margaret's workouts: Endurance, muscle building, functional fitness?

Thanks
They are considered traditional weight lifting, but endurance. Hi reps, low weight. She also does floorwork for lower body, a little standing here and there but mostly floorwork. Her floorwork can be very tough.

Yes, many of her workouts are older. She does have some newer ones but I prefer the older ones for some weird reason. Her workouts aren't the easiest, sometimes it can feel like your arms are going to fall off but she works you hard in a calm and gentle manner. She is friendly, but laid back.

I like her, I appreciate her workouts more as I get older, though she isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some think she is rather boring.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 04:08 PM  
maitai

All that Tara said
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 07:15 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I have just about all of Margaret's work right now, collected over the years.

One of my favorite ways to use her workouts are to do cardio, a 30 min workout w/ Margaret, and a Classical stretch episode, but that gets a little time consuming. So, I generally mix a 30-ish min cardio in w/ 30 min of MR (her workouts are all well chaptered so you can easily make them fit the time you have) and then some flexibility (whatever I have time for).

another way I have used her workouts is to alternate her hour long workouts w/ cardio and stretching.

Good luck, I find her workouts to be perfect when recovering from an injury or illness b/c they are so well chaptered it is very easy to skip something that doesn't work for you. I also think that in general her exercises are pretty safe as you are not doing a million things at once, so another good reason for using them if injured or ill. That is not to say they aren't challenging, they are!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 07:22 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I ordered Sculpture and Raising the Bar today. With shipping, it was $32.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 09:39 AM  
mtngoat

I had two injuries, one after another, over the past year. I couldn't do my usual high-impact or heavy weight workouts. I wanted something which wouldn't hurt my hip (1st injury), and which I could do without shoes (2nd injury). I also went through menopause this year (finally!).

I turned to Margaret Richard - I had some under-used DVDs in my collection.

Wow - did I have great results! I was merely hoping not to lose a lot of fitness - I retained all of my fitness levels except for some strength (expected since I wasn't lifting heavy any more).

I lost about 1-2 pants sizes. (I have wide shoulders/big back and chest - they never gain or lose size). My workout pants literally started to fall off.

Not only did I retain most fitness and lose size, I also felt great (well, except for the pain of my injuries).

Now that I am starting my normal workouts (with some barre thrown in), even though I have regained strength. I think some fat is creeping back on. (It's not muscle.) I haven't consciously altered diet (maybe portion sizes have increased with more strenuous workouts? I need to journal).

I pretty well completed my Margaret Richard collection during the year - I have been buying downloads and am very happy with them. Her workouts are pretty similar one to the other, but I needed variety! I added my own music to the Unplugged DVDs - these are probably my favorite because of that.

Joni - I hope you enjoy your DVDs!

eta: Sorry to go on so long, but I really wanted to sing Margaret's praises. I didn't follow any particular rotation - I did a full-body MR workout 5-6 days/week. I tried to vary the exercises done for each body part between days. (Her downloads are chaptered by body part, so you can choose the particular exercise you do each day).

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 10-06-14 at 09:44 AM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 09:44 AM  
SueT

Lori, congratulations on your Margaret Richard results! This is exactly what I needed to hear, since I just ordered her Getting Better, Triple Threat, and Perfect 10.

Could you give me an idea what a typical workout week using Margaret's workouts looked like for you?

Thanks in advance!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard download, margaret richard results, margaret richard rotation, muscle and grace, triple threat