Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-14, 04:53 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post

I am with you on all of your points. I have to say though, about the music quality dropping being industry-wide, that I thought the same thing. But Susan Chung's latest, Rapidfire 4, had really great music, in my opinion, so now I am not sure...
Yes, RapidFire 4 has awesome music, and I wonder why everyone else, not just Cathe, is not using the same company she did.

And that's mostly what I miss, from everyone, is good motivating music.

I don't think I can really say what I miss from Cathe specifically, I tire easily of nearly everything, and I did Cathe a lot for a few years, so I just think it was my time to move on. However, once in a while I'll pull one out again that I truly enjoy.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 08:49 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Cathe used to use Power Music years ago... along with muscle mixes, BKHowe, etc. I don't know. It seems music is an issue with a lot of instructors and I think it's the cost.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 11:02 PM  
jusca

I miss the non-electronic music. I actually like house music and other electronic genres but some of the recent music a lot of workouts have been coming out with music sounding like melodic oscillators + 56k modems and it's annoying.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 11:46 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
And her warm ups are phenomenal!
Agreed. Cathe's warm ups are some of the best!

Pam

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:42 AM  
marmact

Music doesn't usually bother me one way or another, unless it's really, really bad. I think it's KCM who has one workout with some kind of screeching synthesizer. The one and only time I did that workout, I spent 15 minutes looking for my howling cat before I realized that terrible sound was coming from the TV, lol.

Anyway, something I DON'T miss from early Cathe is the endless number of reps followed by an endless number of pulses. Those might be effective workouts, but the dread factor means I rarely reach for them.

What I DO miss is the creative premixes. I think SNM was at their best when they were putting two workouts on one DVD and then making great premixes using both of those workouts. In fact, those tend to be the oldies I reach for the most. I feel like these days, Cathe doesn't have the time or energy to put any thought into premixes at all and someone throws them together just to say they offer premixes.

Hopefully with the advent of streaming and the use of the Workout Manager, they will get back to chaptering well, also. It was great when they chaptered by exercise and offered a chapter menu, because you could cherry-pick parts to do add-ons.

I still love her stuff, though, and I'll never give up hope.
Old 09-12-14, 06:28 PM  
Mickey12

I miss the fun choreography! Everything now is drills (from everyone, not just Cathe), and it's much, much more drab.
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-14, 07:34 PM  
mmis29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
I miss the non-electronic music. I actually like house music and other electronic genres but some of the recent music a lot of workouts have been coming out with music sounding like melodic oscillators + 56k modems and it's annoying.
Like nails on a chalkboad! UGH!!! LIS, IMO, is the worst of all. There's some horrible keyboard-ish 90's ringtone sounding stuff playing during one of the toughest mountain climber segments in After Burn and it is so demotivating. I also can't stand the sound alike music...I too would prefer instrumental.

I miss background exercisers that seem like they're really having fun. Hope, Lisa, Rhonda and Cedie are the only ones that really seem like they are having a great time and aren't so serious for me.

I miss the fun factor. The party rockin steps brought some of that back, yeah!!! Choreography makes a workout fun - all these drills = zzzzz!
Old 09-12-14, 08:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmis29 View Post
There's some horrible keyboard-ish 90's ringtone sounding stuff playing during one of the toughest mountain climber segments in After Burn and it is so demotivating.
There's at least one interval in Hiit 30/30 from the Shock Cardio series with "music" that makes me feel like I'm trapped in a super mario bros game (an old one, because I haven't played a video game in over a decade). Definitely not motivating.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 07:55 AM  
cecififi

I also prefer the great premixes but having them or not doesn't bother me either way. I actually like the new music - a lot. I love the music in Xtrain, in her non-series series from last year and the instrumental stuff in LIS (except for trisets - that was brutal). But I tend to be biased when it comes to Cathe. I can't see any flaws whatsoever. I work out to her pretty much 90%+ of the time cos I find her, her moves and music so motivating. I love Cathe

I do notice a difference in her spirit as she has gotten older but I guess that happens to us all. I find her more serious in newer workouts - more loose, free and fun in her older workouts.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 08:02 AM  
suzannaerin

Marianne, I agree w/you about the cast. Lisa, Hope, and Cedie seemed to enjoy themselves so much, and they also modified when necessary (like some of us need to, every so often). They also weren't super cut/fit, so you could identify more with them.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe workouts, older cathe workouts, power music