Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-14, 02:44 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I also have followed Cathe for many years and do not intend to bash her. She has kept me motivated to exercise for a very long time.

I miss Lorraine and Rhonda and I would like to see Lisa and Hope again too! I don't miss the "STS people" other than the "regulars" as to me they appeared to be acting and sometimes overacting with frozen unnatural smiles (sorry, but IMHO Deazie was the biggest offender in that area) or trying to appear that they were working harder than they could have been (Mr. Baby Weights, I'm looking at you!)

I also wish the premixes were more imaginative a la Kelly. At least mix up the order of the segments!

I will say that the two Party Rockin' Step DVDs renewed my interest in step workouts. I'd like to see a MIC 2 with floor aerobics and step again as a break from all the HiIT and blasts!

Better music---I'd rather hear an instrumental version of a recognizable song rather than fake lyrics.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 05:28 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I miss the straightforward total body strength workouts like MIS: no metabolic moves and organized so first you do all the lower body and then all the upper body exercises. But I think where Cathe has really improved over the years is in her cool-down stretch sequences: those just get better and better.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 05:36 PM  
mtnmom

I can't say I miss anything, because until very recently, I haven't purchased much of anything Cathe since the Hardcore Series (4-day Split, and STS Total Body is on my shelf too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I will say that the two Party Rockin' Step DVDs renewed my interest in step workouts.
And that's what I bought about 10 days ago. I'm glad she put some combo's from the other disc to make up some imaginative premixes. Why weren't these two workouts put on one DVD?

I can't remember what series it was, but after Hardcores, the step workouts were so unimaginative. Do a move on the left, the same move on the right; do a new move on the left, new move on the right. Now let's put them together and add an around-the-world! Blech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Better music---I'd rather hear an instrumental version of a recognizable song rather than fake lyrics.
I don't even notice the lyrics. I'm concentrating too hard on the queues. So they don't bother me. I'm very glad that the music on the Party Rockin' Step workouts isn't the over-synthesized stuff she was using for awhile. That was the worst!
Old 09-10-14, 06:07 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I definitely miss good premixes.

I miss Lorraine. She has such great form and I never think she's mugging it up for the camera.

I miss having only four backgrounders instead of a cast of thousands (STS was the worst). If the camera can't get everyone in one shot, you have too many people working out with you.
Old 09-10-14, 08:35 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
I miss the straightforward total body strength workouts like MIS: no metabolic moves and organized so first you do all the lower body and then all the upper body exercises. But I think where Cathe has really improved over the years is in her cool-down stretch sequences: those just get better and better.

Lurdes
And her warm ups are phenomenal!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 01:16 AM  
sm4987

I miss fun workouts. I loved her step, hard but fun. Miss great music and Cathe's lighthearted attitude!
Old 09-11-14, 06:12 AM  
aqua girl

I miss the older weight workouts...they are awesome. and the older step
workouts, she broke down the combos so well so you could learn them
better than now, I think. I've been doing some of her older workouts
recently and have found that although she never used a modifier, in some
of the older workouts, she would show a low impact option (mostly in
step) first, then go to the higher impact version but always saying if you
want to stick with the low impact version, etc.....that was neat.....Also,
missed the excellent chaptering in her last series, it just wasn't chaptered
much at all...IMO, took so much away from them. As far as the music,
I have never paid too much attention to it.....
aqua girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 06:23 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
And her warm ups are phenomenal!
I know! I would be SO happy if Cathe would create a disk consisting of nothing but her warm-ups as workout 1, and her cool-downs as workout 2. That disk would live in my player because I'd use them almost every day before and after I run. And I can imagine that if I'm tired or recovering from a flu, a series of warm-ups and then a cool-down would be a great way to get back into working out.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 06:28 AM  
aqua girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
I know! I would be SO happy if Cathe would create a disk consisting of nothing but her warm-ups as workout 1, and her cool-downs as workout 2. That disk would live in my player because I'd use them almost every day before and after I run. And I can imagine that if I'm tired or recovering from a flu, a series of warm-ups and then a cool-down would be a great way to get back into working out.

Lurdes
I agree! In a lot of the higher impact workouts, all I can really do well is
the warmups and stretches ! So a lot of times, that is my short workout,
a warmup & stretch. At least most of the warmups are what I consider
low impact and I can do them well and even feel like I am getting a
good workout, short....but good.
aqua girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 04:03 PM  
Bebop

Intensity Series, IMHO and the Body Blast series had the best music and pre-mixes.

I miss the "fun factor". A lot of her newer workouts, just seem more intense. In the older workouts Cathe seems to be having more fun.

I still think she is one of the best instructors out there and she will always be my favorite - even though it looks like my days of high impact are over.

I can finally do a flying angel and over the top and figure 8. I won't tell you how long I have the workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe workouts, older cathe workouts, power music