Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-16, 11:07 AM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnermom View Post
I am amazed at her before/after success stories-including yours edensmom! Is her program really so unique or is there anything else similar to it on dvd?
I'll be curious to hear the answer to this as well. I've been toying with the idea of buying this program for a while!

I've seen example workouts, and when I described the moves and concept in detail to my husband, he said "that sounds a lot like Insanity". Does anyone agree?

Her circuits (the resistance workouts) are about 30 minutes long: sets of 4-5 exercises that you do the required reps for, and complete the set as many times as you can in seven minutes. Rest if needed, and go to Set B for seven minutes. Then repeat Set A (7 min), and Set B (7 min). They are primarily bodyweight moves, lots of plyometric jumping, some low/moderate looking weights for lower body moves. It seems to be that the key is keeping the heart rate up for most of the workout.

Other days are supposed to be low intensity steady cardio (walking, jogging), and in the last four weeks she adds HIIT. Personally, what makes me hesitate is the fact that as the program goes on you are supposed to sometimes do two workouts in a day (for a total of 60-70 minutes), but she suggests doing them in two separate workouts! Obviously walking is no big deal, but the HIIT? Sorry, but I don't want to shower and blow dry my annoying hair twice each day. (I sweat easily and too much not to shower after anything that gets my heart rate going.) I also prefer either limiting to 30 minutes every day, or 60 minutes about 4-5 times a week if I get true rest days (no workouts!). So yeah, I don't know if I should commit to it. :/

Edensmom, congrats on your consistency and results with the program! Did you follow the suggestion of two separate workouts in a day? Did you do the suggested HIIT as sprints? I don't have a gym membership to gain access to a treadmill, and I don't anticipate wanting to sprint on my neighborhood streets, especially in the winter. I'm trying to brainstorm a substitute, but so many of the typical HIIT routines use moves that are already a large part of the "resistance workouts" (burpees, jumps, etc.), so it seems like that would be overkill, hrm...
Old 01-11-16, 04:03 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
Edensmom, congrats on your consistency and results with the program! Did you follow the suggestion of two separate workouts in a day? Did you do the suggested HIIT as sprints? I don't have a gym membership to gain access to a treadmill, and I don't anticipate wanting to sprint on my neighborhood streets, especially in the winter. I'm trying to brainstorm a substitute, but so many of the typical HIIT routines use moves that are already a large part of the "resistance workouts" (burpees, jumps, etc.), so it seems like that would be overkill, hrm...
I'd be curious to know if you followed her eating plan, too. It seems like not very much food, but I can't tell if that's partly the measurements I'm not used to and partially because I do better with three bigger meals a day and she has five, I think it is.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-16, 05:00 PM  
edensmom

I did not use the HELP guide, though I have it. It suggests 6 servings of grains a day, first off, and I have a mild grain intolerance. I have been following iifym for a while now and it better suits my needs and is so flexible.
One way I like to do the hiit is 5 mins of 40/20 sprints after every circuit for a total of 20 mins of hiit. I also do bodyweight hiit or rope skipping. I rarely do 2 sessions per day so when it's hiit day I would do it as a precursor to resistance training. Or on off days. Yes a lot of the exercises double as ones often used in hiit workouts. That's why I jumped rope a lot.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 08:37 AM  
gilbjeter

I have been doing BBG 2 since September. This is the first rotation I have stuck with in a very long time. Something keeps me coming back. I think these are tough so I am continuously challenged. I consider myself an advanced exerciser and an intensity junkie these kick my butt.
I pretty much followed it the way its laid out but I also combine HIIT on resistance days because I don't have time or the will to do 2 separate sessions a day.
I use Cathe's workout blender a lot .
Mon- Cathe warmup + 20 min of any cathe HIIT + BBG Legs
Tues- Cathe warmup + 20 min of any cathe HIIT + BBG arms
Weds- cardio of choice (run, turbo fire, or step)
Thurs- Cathe warmup + 20 min of any cathe HIIT + BBG abs
Fri - Cathe warmup + 20 min of any cathe HIIT + BBG full body
Sat cardio of choice (run, turbo fire, or step)

I love her program and I have since dropped 10 pounds since Sept (combined with weight watchers)
gilbjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 09:04 AM  
edensmom

Gilbjeter that's awesome! Congrats on the weight loss and I'm glad you are enjoying bbg2!!
Old 01-12-16, 04:28 PM  
ADoll

Congratulations edensmom and gilbjeter on your achievements! I can never pass 3 weeks. Too high-impact for me.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-16, 05:07 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yes, congrats to both of you! I am going to do a rotation similar to what you posted, gilbjeter, but I'm going to use Cathe workouts. I'm no good at paper workouts I guess.

Edensmom, I'd never heard of iifym. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 03:30 PM  
traceym1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
*reviving!

So, are Kayla's workouts like Zuzka? Or what else are they similar to? I am interested in the rotation/format but don't want to spend the $$.
TIA!
I really like Kayla's workouts, but I love, love, Zuzka's site! I have gotten really strong with Zuzka and my shape has changed alot. I now work on pull ups daily, which is actually negatives since i can not do one yet, but i would not have done that if I was not motivated to do so. Her site is $10 a month and very easy to cancel. She has a lot.
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-16, 08:22 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceym1 View Post
I really like Kayla's workouts, but I love, love, Zuzka's site! I have gotten really strong with Zuzka and my shape has changed alot. I now work on pull ups daily, which is actually negatives since i can not do one yet, but i would not have done that if I was not motivated to do so. Her site is $10 a month and very easy to cancel. She has a lot.
Tracey! You are the one who got me into Kayla to begin with! It changed my life, I am not even kidding! The bbg community is amazing. I have made friends from around the world that I talk to daily. I even went on a vacation with one! My DH died suddenly last May and one of the bbg girls organized a gofundme to raise money for my kids and I. So many people contributed. Kayla herself even contributed to the fund and used me as a feature twice. I only just stopped doing bbg about a month ago.
Old 01-15-16, 08:47 PM  
Tugger31

What's the difference btwn bbg1 and bbg2 ?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayla itsines, paper workouts