Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-14, 09:02 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Technical question - dvd keeps freezing

I couldn't figure out a title that didn't sound like I was putting the dvd in the freezer

Anyway, I have a very nice yoga workout that freezes at random places. When I first got it, it stuck at almost the same place each time. Now it's just random. It will freeze and get pixelly, and eventually start up again several seconds or minutes further into the workout. I keep an eye on the timer so I can rewind to the place it froze at, hit play, and it's fine.

Tonight I had to give up halfway through the practice. It happened about 5 times, and, obviously, really disrupts the flow of the routine. Is there anything I can do about this? If it happened at the same point each time, I would assume a scratch or something, but this happens randomly. Time to put together a new dvd order?
Old 05-16-14, 09:27 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Have you tried cleaning it? Use mild hand washing detergent, and dry with soft cloth, rubbing it from center to the edge (not circular). Sometimes finger prints gets on the surface (esp when you are sweaty after exercising).
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:01 PM  
BunnyHop

I've had success cleaning discs that misbehave that way, but some apparently can't be fixed as well that way.

(For example, I've got a disc in the third season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that has trouble in the same spot, but using a disc cleaner/polisher product does seem to help. I just need to use the product from time to time. (Yes, I've watched BTVS the series, many times.) I've had other discs, different sources, with similar issues that apparently aren't helped by cleaning.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 10:13 PM  
Jane1721

Is it just this one DVD, or are they all freezing? When that happens to my DVDs, that means it's time to get a new DVD player.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-14, 11:25 PM  
edensmom

I have had success with furniture polish--spray on, wipe with a soft cloth. It sort of fills in any little scratches that cause freezes and skips. It may be only a temporary fix but it can work for awhile.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-14, 06:22 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I second the cleaning recommendation. When I got a new DVD player about a year ago, about 1/3 of all my DVDs would just not play on it. It was weird because they played fine on the old one. I even replaced a few DVDs because of it. I finally figured out that if I just wiped them down with a soft cloth, it solved the problem. I still have one or two that freeze in certain spots. The one that immediately comes to mind, that aggravates me the most, is during the ab work in Cathe's XTrain Kickboxing workout. It freezes about 2 minutes before the end. I've never been able to fix that one.
Old 05-17-14, 07:17 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Sometimes finger prints gets on the surface (esp when you are sweaty after exercising).
This implies I put my stuff away after exercising I usually don't eject the dvd until I have to put the next one in

I'll try cleaning it. I've cleaned other dvd's when it freezes in the same spot and there's an obvious mark on it. Maybe this one just has something clinging to it that keeps moving around.
Old 05-17-14, 07:55 AM  
PrairieGem

Sometimes they just can't be fixed. My BBL set came with a disc that kept freezing (High & Tight), and the same thing happened with one of my much-used FX DVDs. I gave them to my dad, who has professional video editing equipment, and he couldn't salvage the discs--or their data. You may end up having to just buy new, alas.

Hope that's not the case!
Old 05-17-14, 05:14 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, and FWIW, the stuff I use is designed as a disc cleaner/repairer.

I've bought some other types, but the ones that actually work for me are the type that you wipe on, rub a bit, let dry and polish off.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvds freezing, scratched dvds