Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-13, 10:00 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Unhappy The "new, improved" Slim In 6?

I love Debbie and I love the "old" Slim in 6 (2002). I especially love the original Slim & Limber stretch which I have done literally hundreds of times since it first came out.

I saw some good reviews for the newer version (2010) and thought I'd give it a try. I started to dislike it even during the previews. In the new Start It Up, Debbie moves really quickly. No exerciser just starting out is going to want to move that fast. I like the old Start It Up because of the slow, deliberate pace. (It is great for hot summer days.)

So, the next day I decided to try it. Oh boy, the music is even worse that the original. I stopped the workout and chose the "Music Off' option. I continued and was still hating the workout.

I then remembered that I had disliked Debbie's Slim Series Express workouts. It's like she was in a big hurry and seemed rushed.

So then, I thought I'd try the new and improved Slim & Limber. It is similar to the old one, but with a few changes. Like forgetting to add a chest or triceps stretch!

The new Slim In 6: Rapid Results is going back to BeachBody ASAP. It is like the remake of Psycho - bigger, brighter and not enjoyable.

If something ain't broke, don't fix it!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:19 AM  
dnna

thanks for posting this review. I kept thinking I was missing out on a much better product and did not want to spend the 40 dollars or so for workouts that I had ( or were very similar)
I also have the original start it up- have it on vhs! the hour long one. I still like it.
thanks

donna /dnna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:19 AM  
imhere2dance

I really like the new version.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:23 AM  
ellaenchanted

Oh, I prefer the new one. Better picture quality. I play my own music. I had done the old one a few days before the new one and didn't notice much difference in speed. I did notice her cuing was a little late but, there is no choreography so it didn't matter. I think a true beginner/sedentary person would find both challenging but would adapt very quickly to Start It Up!

My biggest issue w/ the program is that Burn It Up and Slim Series workouts are too darn loooong. I think Debbie could come up w/ a Slim in 6/Slim Series 2 that has 45 minute workouts (maybe 1 or 2, 60 minute) and still have a really effective program. Ramp It Up! is my favorite simple because it is the perfect length.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 10:36 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I popped in the original Start It Up right after I Joni O'd the re-make, and there is a big difference in the BPM between the two.

I'd like to see Debbie do something brand new instead of beating Slim In 6 to death. She has a great personality!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-05-13, 10:41 AM  
JezthePuff2

I like both the old and the new. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new Ramp it Up a lot longer than the old one? It seems like the exercises are different as well.

I haven't tried the new Burn it Up yet. Is it a lot different?

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 11:33 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I'd like to see Debbie do something brand new instead of beating Slim In 6 to death. She has a great personality!
Amen!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 11:40 AM  
saffron

When I did the new version of Start it Up for the first time I actually said out loud "whoah! slow down!" ... but the brighter, fresher set and colours wins over the old set. Also, the rep count is nice and even.

.... and you gotta love the new *enhanced* Debbie <ahem>
saffron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-13, 11:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron View Post
When I did the new version of Start it Up for the first time I actually said out loud "whoah! slow down!" ... but the brighter, fresher set and colours wins over the old set. Also, the rep count is nice and even.

.... and you gotta love the new *enhanced* Debbie <ahem>
Sad to say, the "enhancements" actually added to my disappointment in this set. Say no more...

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-05-13, 12:42 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere2dance View Post
I really like the new version.
I like it too~much better than the old one. To each vidiot her own.

Tags
debbie siebers, slim in 6 (2010), slim series express