Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-12, 10:58 AM  
cherimac

Question about KCM and Weights

I recently got Cardio Quick Fix and LOVED it so I decided to try Plateau Buster. I quickly remembered why I don't click with Kelly's weight workouts~she uses momentum with some of her lifting. In fact, she even says to USE momentum in this workout. I was taught to NOT do that and to let your muscle do all the work. For example, when doing back work I try to focus on letting the muscle initiate and complete the lift and feel as though I'm moving through peanut butter, no matter what speed I'm lifting, if that makes sense.

So, I was wondering what the benefit is to using momentum with some of your lifting(i.e. lawn mower moves, etc.) Should I be using both types or work in my regular routine?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-12, 11:37 AM  
Fit Gal

Yep. I really want to click with KCM. I love her personality. The only one's lifting ones I've kept are Weights and Your Best Body and N.Y.C. I try to limit the momentum cause I think it's an injury waiting to happen. I think momentum is for kettlebells not dumbbells IMHO. If it doesn't feel right then I modify. I also don't like a lot of up and down I think in Splits.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 12:43 PM  
lrb04

Cheri: I follow the exercise but not the exact way she moves. If that makes sense. I can't remember the word she uses when she jazzes it up but I just do it to my comfort zone. I have not had an injury doing it this way. I was thinking of doing PB workout 2 today, if I do I will pay more attention to her moves.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 01:46 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I recently got Cardio Quick Fix and LOVED it so I decided to try Plateau Buster. I quickly remembered why I don't click with Kelly's weight workouts~she uses momentum with some of her lifting.
Yes, she does, and it bugs me.

This may not be what you are talking about, but on 'Start Here' she has you doing an exercise where you are making big forward circles with your arms while holding weights --- it is kind of like cross-country skiing, with weights. I tweaked my rotator cuff with this exercise and I was only using 5 pound dumbbells. Other people on VF have mentioned injuries or discomfort from Kelly's 'innovative' moves, and I have to agree.

I like her a lot, and still use 'Start Here' for cardio, but I am pretty leery of her weight routines.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 02:22 PM  
melzie

I don't have the same workout you are talking about, I have others. I do exactly what Irb04 said. I still do the moves, just traditionally, not "power moves" or kettle bell type moving. I don't like those, my body does not respond well.

I love, love, love KCM and her workouts though. Just modify to your own body's needs.

I'm not sure what the benefits are from the power lifting moves. I tried it once, and my muscles stayed sore for a week with just 5 lb dumbbells. I figured that meant some tearing, so I quit doing them that way.

Someone around here should know what any benefits of that should be.
melzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 02:29 PM  
cherimac

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try Plateau Buster tomorrow and do things my own way. I "get" that you use momentum in kettlebells but wasn't sure what the reason was for using it when doing more traditional dumbbell lifting.
Old 12-12-12, 07:39 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I really like KCM, she is one of my favorites but not all her workouts work for me either. Out of her weight ones I actually like Muscle Definition and Weights the least, they are good but I prefer YBB and Split Sessions. I do modify SS a lot, which normally would bother me but I like it enough that it's not an issue. I got Plateau Buster in the preorder sale but I didn't keep it. I am not sure if I will come to regret that or not. I am not a huge fan of compound moves, but when I do them I actually prefer Angie Miller's Bedroom Body or one of Stephanie Vitorino's workouts. I feel the both of them do compound movements very well.

I don't really care for the explosive lifting myself and some of the shoulder exercises in MD were a little tricky for me but it was actually a shoulder move in Circuit Burn that tweaked my shoulder a little. It's okay now but I didn't keep that workout either. I know that is one of KCM's more popular workouts, I liked it just okay though.

Again I like Kelly a bunch, and I actually feel bad when I like X workout better than Y workout but that's the way it goes. You get so much with her DVDs that you only need a few anyway. SS and YBB are my go tos for weights with her, I also have Start Here. I really like Stepboxing and Kickboxing, and I like her new Cardio Quick Fix too. I will always keep an eye out for her new releases but overall I am pretty content with what I have from her. I will say that she one of the few instructors that I do preorder from.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 07:56 AM  
cherimac

Thanks for your input, Tara. I don't have YBB because after Split Sessions (which annoyed me to no end for some reason I can't remember, LOL) I just gave up. I love Cardio Quick Fix though so wanted to give one of her weight workouts another try.

One thing that does bug me about PB and is the reason I got rid of Circuit Burn is doing exercises once through and then repeating them again. That seems so boring to me in a short workout. So, I'll probably do the combined premix of PB most of the time.
Old 12-12-12, 08:13 AM  
JENILU

She is excellent, IMO at answering concerns and questions on her facebook page (personal message or page) and on her website. She might could give you her reasoning behind it?
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 08:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Thanks for your input, Tara. I don't have YBB because after Split Sessions (which annoyed me to no end for some reason I can't remember, LOL) I just gave up. I love Cardio Quick Fix though so wanted to give one of her weight workouts another try.

One thing that does bug me about PB and is the reason I got rid of Circuit Burn is doing exercises once through and then repeating them again. That seems so boring to me in a short workout. So, I'll probably do the combined premix of PB most of the time.
Cheri - I hear you...I am not a fan of repeats either, in SS the exercises are repeated (2 sets of each) so that doesn't bother me as much but repeating a whole circuit is not my favorite thing. So that is ultimately why I unloaded Circuit Burn and maybe Plateau Buster too. Even LIFT too, I liked the Powersculpting segment but there were repeats there too, again not that big of a deal but I just prefer to move on to something else. That probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Jillian's No More Trouble Zones is the same thing which I found a little annoying. The way the exercises are setup in SS is a little different so I tolerate it there because I really do like that workout even though I modify it a lot, mainly the lower body section. She adds a little variation to the squats, deadlifts but I modify it to the more traditional manner.

The thing with Plateau Buster, you repeat yes but you do 12 reps and your done, this may have been more doable for me. Oh well....

In YBB there are no repeats. For each body part you do 2 exercises but in a superset alternating 8 reps each. For example for shoulders you do 8 lateral raises, then 8 alternating front raises, repeat etc. The sets last about 3 minutes so it gets a little long but I prefer this over 3 straight minutes of one exercise. Once you are done, you are done and you move on.

This probably why I am not a super fan of really high reps. Jari Love is another one I really like but the only workout of hers I really click with is the first Get Ripped. Lean Machine isn't bad but there is a point where there are over 5 minutes spent on chest presses, no flies, solid presses, and then you work triceps for 30 seconds. For some reason this just bugs me. Get Ripped is just right for me I guess. The others are just rep overkill for me. I never even tried the first Ripped and Chiseled for this reason. Cathe's Pyramids is another one where there are tons of reps but you are changing your weights, that's different and I don't mind it there because it breaks it up a little.

Anyhoo...I got off on a tangent but I think I made my point. But I get what you are saying, you are singing my song Cheri!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, momentum, plateau buster, stephanie vitorino, your best body