Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-12, 06:03 PM  
ncl

What is the best way to repair DVD scratches?

I have a couple of beloved DVDs (old Tracie Longs) that won't play well. They get stuck in places or look all pixalated. Anyone have recommendations to repair these?
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:07 PM  
Tish

I'd like to know too. I just got Ult Yogi and the disks are all scratched from sliding into the sleeves. I've heard of using toothpaste or furniture polish but I'd rather have the disks scratch-free.
Old 09-05-12, 08:15 AM  
SpiritYogi

I can't suggest any DIY fixes, but I've taken scratched discs to my local video rental store (Family Video) and had them run it through their industrial DVD cleaner (for a fee of $1.75).
SpiritYogi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-12, 08:58 AM  
TLB

Resurfacing is the only way for a completely scratch free disc.

Resurfacing machines can cost hundreds ... or thousands. If you have a really valuable DVD (or deep scratches) look for a store with a high end machine.

Toothpaste (low abrasive ... not whitening) will makes some scratches less deep. Rub it in the opposite direction of the scratch. The DVD will look terrible.

Furniture polish is very temporary ... 1 play. This is meant to make the entire disc "appear" smooth to the laser. Plastx is a motorcycle windshield cleaner/polish. This lasts longer than furniture polish.

Skip Dr machines ($20 or so) ... will sratch the entire playing surface in a circular pattern. This makes for a more "uniform" playing surface.

"Try for progress, not perfection" Chris Freytag
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:26 PM  
ncl

Thanks. Our local Blockbuster said they could not do it. There is a more local video store...I may ask them and check it out this weekend. I'd be happy to pay a fee to resurface my DVDs! The ones that are scratched you can't buy anymore unless you buy them used.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scratched dvds