Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-12, 08:28 PM  
chapina

Quote:
Originally Posted by readcookrun View Post
I really, really like Bob's Inside Out Yoga for the Warrior. I end up sweating towards the beginning part of it and feel nicely stretched out for the rest of the day. Although he says, "it's nothing you've tried before" there was nothing too crazy about what he does. He doesn't explain poses or proper form very much though.

I also liked Jillian's Yoga--it combined yoga and bodyweight work. I liked both the workouts. I use either as an add-on after my cardio or do both if I'm only toning for the day.

Hope this helps!

Bob's Inside Out Yoga is one of my favorite yoga videos! I agree with readcookrun, nothing crazy in this workout. Since you're an advanced exerciser, do the two workouts on Jillian's Yoga Meltdown back-to-back; I agree with lila_says, it's a good workout like that.

Other non-spiritual ones I like:

MTV Power Yoga
MTV Yoga
All of Tony Horton's that I've tried (P90X, P90X2, One on One Fountain of Youth, One on One MC2)
Jeanette Jenkins Power Yoga (though there's positive/motivational talk at the end)

What I also like about these is that there is nothing crazy hard and though there are advanced modifications, there are ways to work up to them (e.g. side angle bind can be modified with side angle pose). And there are no headstands!

- Maria
chapina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 08:43 PM  
hotncmom

Core Fusion Yoga Energy Flow is a total of 50 minutes but is divided into 10 minute chapters so you could do a shorter workout.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 08:47 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

What about Molly Fox's Skinny Jeans Yoga?

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 11:27 PM  
Tish

Here's my list

I gravitate toward Non-spiritual yoga as well and yoga is pretty much all I do these days. None of my comments are meant to offend anyone; they are simply my observations. Some of these workouts might mention "sending energy to your leg" or some such that I didn't really catch and comment on, otherwise I tried to point out anything that might make a non-spiritual yoga person uncomfortable.

Rodney Yee (most of his are ok): AM for Your Week, Strength Building, Power Yoga Total Body, his older power yoga: Strength, Flexibility, Stamina

YogaWorks Body Slim: uses Sanskrit names, otherwise okay

Shape Lean and Strong: does mention using a hand gesture. A little on the easy side

Alana Zabel Total Body Makeover

The Firm Power Yoga

Argie Tang Pulse Yoga - uses hand weights and some pulsing in the poses

Karen Voight Yoga Sculpt

Jennifer Galardi - Flowetry (I haven't made it all the way through but no woo in the first 30 min)

Tony Horton - Ho' Ala Ke Kino

Core Fusion Yoga Energy Flow - this has a little woo in Tai Chi segment

Tara Stiles Elle Yoga

Sara Ivanhoe: Crunch Perfect Yoga (on the easy side), also her 20 Min Makeover. Each of these end with her talking about mudras or sealing in your practice but I stop the workout at this point. The yoga is straight forward cueing.

Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown: she does mention "sealing" the practice

Kristin McGee: Mtv Power Yoga, Power Yoga

Gwen Lawrence Fit Body Yoga

Jonathan Urla Yogilates: fusion of yoga/pilates (haven't tried 1, 2 is good, 3 is challenging but he has a Hindu statue and talks about yuji (sp?) breathing)

Mandy Ingber Yogalosophy (she does mention mantras - says hers is "I have a nice as*" - she does talk some philosophy but most of what she says is tongue in cheek)

Kathryn Budig Aim True Yoga (she speaks of setting intentions for the practice, and talks about love and conquering fear. This one might feel a little borderline)

Leisa Hart Fat Burning Yoga

Adrienne Reed Power Yoga series

Yoga for Your Moods

Brian Kest Power Yoga (talks lots of accepting where you're at)

Yoga Radiance (I haven't had this one for a long time, but I recall mention of a third eye, otherwise ok, pretty advanced)

Cathe's Yoga Max - this is a good rec the others gave along with Firm yoga, I recently got it and enjoyed it

ETA: I forgot to mention Denise Austin's: Fat Blasting Yoga, Yoga Buns, Yoga Body Burn, Hot Body Yoga (I haven't tried this one) Also, I just got Michele Carmichael's Soul Fuel and think it's okay but I haven't completed it yet.

Hope my list helps a little. I'm always on the lookout for straight forward cueing. PM if I can help more
Old 01-22-12, 12:09 AM  
Elise7

Tish!

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to type out that list. I really appreciate it! What are a couple of your favorites?
Do you like Adrienne Reed's Power Yoga for athletes? I kind of liked the clip for that.

Again, thank you!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 12:25 AM  
Tish

Rodney Yee is always a favorite with me. With that said, I think Alana Zabel's is a little known gem. The production values aren't great but it's split into segments and there are some challenging moves with good variety.

I just got Gwen Lawrence's Fit Body Yoga and my overall impression was "this was a fun workout and I love it." Cathe's Yoga Max stands out to me. I also forgot to mention Trudie Styler's Weight Loss Yoga. I haven't worked through the entire disk but I think it's pretty straight forward.

I had Adrienne Reed's Power Yoga set. I think it was Core, Flexibility, Power Yoga. I think it was similar to her Power Yoga for Athletes, but I haven't tried the Athletes one. I found her delivery straight forward. She had good form pointers. Her personality isn't flowery. She's precise. I'm not a huge lover of sun salutations so I didn't keep the set but I did like her as an instructor. I think she occasionally used the sanskrit names.

If you're ever looking for slower or stretchier yoga, I have a bunch of those titles for you too.
Old 01-22-12, 12:25 AM  
Gancho Girl

I have to strongly recommend Karen Voight's Full Body Stretch and Yoga Power. They're both wonderful DVDs, which leave me nicely stretched out, and Karen is all about the cueing, so there's nothing "spiritual" about them. Yoga Power has two yoga routines- a half hour strength, and a half hour stretch (well, about 25 minutes); I like both, but find myself using the stretch section a lot.

Full Body Stretch is about 45 minutes and all stretchy stuff; I wrote a review of it on my blog here.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 10:21 AM  
Breezy Trousers

I really like Stacy McCarthy's workouts and, though she is a yogini, there isn't much woo woo factor in her workouts that I can recall. I've tried countless yoga workouts over the years & think McCarthy is underrated on VF. McCarthy has nice form pointers and goes at a decent pace so you can get the form down. My body really loves her and it hasn't loved some other yoga teachers highly praised on VF.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 12:21 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I really like Stacy McCarthy's workouts and, though she is a yogini, there isn't much woo woo factor in her workouts that I can recall. I've tried countless yoga workouts over the years & think McCarthy is underrated on VF. McCarthy has nice form pointers and goes at a decent pace so you can get the form down. My body really loves her and it hasn't love some other yoga teachers highly praised on VF.
I have her Yoga Body Lean & Defined Total Body Workout and Yoga Body: Fat Burning Workout and really enjoy both of them. I'm not really into power yoga but I like the pace of both of these. I always feel wonderful when I finish her practices.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-12, 12:46 PM  
herya

I only tried a 30-minute sampler of Stacy McCarthy's Fat Burning Yoga (it was included in one of Tamilee Webb's compilations) but I had the same feeling of good pacing and competent instruction. I don't recall any spirituality but it was not sporty yoga either, just a well balanced yoga practice. She also doesn't speak in a "yoga voice", her voice is very normal.

Tags
hard body yoga, kimberly fowler