Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-11, 06:57 PM  
pharma_gal

Q on thigh work in barre workouts

I am no expert in barre workouts in fact no where close..I only add them to my routine here and there. My question is regarding the thigh work in barre workouts..most of the thigh work tends to focus on the quads only not the hamstrings. The only hamstring work that you get is from working the glute sections (core fusion, booty barre, squeeze)..Is this true for all workouts? I know Leah's workouts are different and she has segments specially for the hamstrings..Is P57 the same way?

R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 07:57 AM  
pharma_gal

bumping
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 08:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Roohac--I don't like this about a lot of barre workouts too. (Like you, I'm also not an expert but just working in barre here & there.)

I haven't tried P57, but I have heard that overall, it is pretty thigh-heavy, although Vol. 2 is supposed to be a bit better in that respect. One DVD that I find has a lot more work for the hamstrings, hips, and outer thighs is Cardio Barre Ultimate Advanced. I also think Tracey Mallett's original Booty Barre does a good job of working the glutes, outer hips, and inner thighs rather than the fronts of the thighs.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:42 AM  
yahoo205

i love barre, but don't consider myself an expert. you can always make something more glute/hamstring intensive by focusing weight on the back of the foot/heel vs. the front. i do this all the time. some of these moves require you pull against something/a barre to allow your weight to be shifted to the back of your body.

and, as u mentioned, ballet body does alot of back of the leg/glute work, which is part of the reason i love it.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 12:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

P57 Vol. 2 definitely tried to address the quad overworking issue. There is more material for the bum. Lots of people feel the Fluidity series is also very well rounded... no pun intended.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 06:17 PM  
Gancho Girl

I think Karen Voight's Ballet BodySculpt is well-balanced between quads and hamstrings - I know I'm always glad when the hamstring/glute section is over.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre