Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-13, 02:17 PM  
ShihTzuPup

I'm doing this right now but I just started so I can't really say if it's working. I don't like cardio. I'm doing some sort of weird rotation that probably only makes sense in my own head. But I'm going to try to do one DVD for 10 times straight, then pick another, then pick another, and keep going. But I have no intention of doing cardio.

My first DVD pick is Extend Barre - lean and chiseled. It is probably just an example of how out of shape I am, but I definitely get a cardio effect from this one. I'm always dripping sweat afterward.

I kept thinking I had to do cardio, then I'd think how much I hate cardio, then I wouldn't do anything just so I wouldn't have to do cardio! So, I'm going to do what I like. After Extend, I'm going to try TA. Tried her before, could barely stomach her (actually couldn't stomach her at all), but I've watched some clips and for the life of me I can't remember what I didn't like about her.
ShihTzuPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 02:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Debbie, so true about the walking! I don't do enough of it as I'd like--my job is unfortunately fairly sedentary, so when I'm not exercising, I'm not moving as much as I'd like--but I definitely plan to be an active senior.

DH is an example of being healthy without formal exercise (not that I would recommend this!). He is on the LOW end of normal weight for his height (have no idea how he does this), and he works from home--he's a bit of the restless type, so he is up & down a lot, but he's basically in front of a desk all day. Yet he always gets glowing physicals, from bloodwork through EKGs, and he rarely has any aches & pains like I do.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 04:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Debbie, so true about the walking! I don't do enough of it as I'd like--my job is unfortunately fairly sedentary, so when I'm not exercising, I'm not moving as much as I'd like--but I definitely plan to be an active senior.

DH is an example of being healthy without formal exercise (not that I would recommend this!). He is on the LOW end of normal weight for his height (have no idea how he does this), and he works from home--he's a bit of the restless type, so he is up & down a lot, but he's basically in front of a desk all day. Yet he always gets glowing physicals, from bloodwork through EKGs, and he rarely has any aches & pains like I do.
Beth, sometimes there just isn't any reason why someone like your hubby is doing so well without formal exercise, especially in this day and age where we are much more sedentary than our parents, and their parents, etc.

For me, I do take extra care of my physical health and diet, because we do have diabetes and heart problems in our lineage. But what's really weird about me is that I have really low blood pressure and I'm hypoglycemic, the opposite of my parents. Three of my siblings have diabetes. My oldest brother and I are the only ones who do not. Both of us are extremely active. My other three siblings aren't and they have weight problems and health problems.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I do want to say again that I don't recommend/approve of my husband's no exercise plan! I am always trying to get him to work out...I thought that maybe when we hit 40 things would catch up with him, but we're 45 now, and things haven't changed. I think for him it's a combination of good genes, a decent amount of incidental activity, and generally good habits (although I wish he'd eat more veggies, he's not a snacker, doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, and could be the poster child for "eat-stop-eat," as he often skips meals).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-08-13, 09:52 PM  
Tinks

Quote:

He is on the LOW end of normal weight for his height (have no idea how he does this), and he works from home--he's a bit of the restless type, so he is up & down a lot, but he's basically in front of a desk all day.
Hmmm, if he gets restless easily I wonder if he would like a treadmill desk? I just rigged one up tonight on my regular treadmill, & I'm typing while walking right now, lol. We had a long strip of plywood about 1 foot in width which I stretched across the arms of my treadmill, and used twine to make sure it stays in place. It's working quite nicely. From what I read online you're supposed to walk 1.0 to 2.0 mph while working(in my case surfing).
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
Hmmm, if he gets restless easily I wonder if he would like a treadmill desk? I just rigged one up tonight on my regular treadmill, & I'm typing while walking right now, lol. We had a long strip of plywood about 1 foot in width which I stretched across the arms of my treadmill, and used twine to make sure it stays in place. It's working quite nicely. From what I read online you're supposed to walk 1.0 to 2.0 mph while working(in my case surfing).
Tinks, restless was probably the wrong word. I just meant that he is not the type just to sit all day--i.e., he'll be up doing things around the house, etc. I can only imagine how he might react if I suggested a treadmill desk; he'd probably look at me as if I'd grown a second head.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-08-13, 10:05 PM  
Tinks

Quote:
Tinks, restless was probably the wrong word. I just meant that he is not the type just to sit all day--i.e., he'll be up doing things around the house, etc. I can only imagine how he might react if I suggested a treadmill desk; he'd probably look at me as if I'd grown a second head.
Lol, that's funny. I'm actually enjoying the fact that I can surf the internet and walk at the same time. Even though it's a slow pace, my treadmill says I've burned 148 calories so far. Wooohooo!!! I need to lose weight, so this is a good thing.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 08:32 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I would enjoy it too--I'd love to have one at work! But DH is pretty traditional, and I haven't been able to get him to exercise (other than to take neighborhood walks with me, which is nice).

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-09-13, 09:41 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Boy, Beth.... besides all of the "age hasn't yet caught up with him", your husband sounds just like mine!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 09:55 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
I do want to say again that I don't recommend/approve of my husband's no exercise plan! I am always trying to get him to work out...I thought that maybe when we hit 40 things would catch up with him, but we're 45 now, and things haven't changed. I think for him it's a combination of good genes, a decent amount of incidental activity, and generally good habits (although I wish he'd eat more veggies, he's not a snacker, doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, and could be the poster child for "eat-stop-eat," as he often skips meals).
Quote:
He sounds exactly like my dh, who is 51. He used to work for a moving company, and I thought it would catch up with him when he quit - I think he's gotten thinner! He also eats very moderately, and needs more veggies. When he is well rested, he is very active doing things around the house. As far as I can tell, my dd has taken after him, with eating habits and also thinness.

Tags
david swenson, hard body yoga, no cardio, rotation, rotations, slim and lean, weights only