Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-11, 08:48 AM  
metalbarbie

A no-cardio, all stength/toning rotation?

Hi, I haven't posted in a long time but had been recently lurking and wanted to know if anyone had good or bad results with a no-cardio, strength/toning only rotation maybe alternate with pilates/yoga?

I was planning on doing 5 days of toning (30 min sessions only) with no cardio and see what happens. Any opinions? Thanks! (ETA: Assume my diet is pretty clean)
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 08:54 AM  
sunday

I don't do cardio and lost 44 pounds. I started out having to avoid any cardio, even rebounding, because of a bad knee; even rebounding would make it hurt. No matter! My weight came off anyway and I got fit. I always did fusion-only workouts; barre, pilates, ballet, belly dance. I am currently on an all-yoga rotation and have dropped below my goal weight.

Good luck!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 08:59 AM  
metalbarbie

Oh wow, that is amazing. Thanks for the feedback.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:03 AM  
jazzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I don't do cardio and lost 44 pounds. I started out having to avoid any cardio, even rebounding, because of a bad knee; even rebounding would make it hurt. No matter! My weight came off anyway and I got fit. I always did fusion-only workouts; barre, pilates, ballet, belly dance. I am currently on an all-yoga rotation and have dropped below my goal weight.

Good luck!
that is amazing. I suspect you are very disciplined with respect to both your diet & your workouts. I admire that.
Old 06-23-11, 09:05 AM  
sunday

I did have a really good diet, and still do, but it was a lifestyle change, so I don't see it as a diet anymore. I just realized that whatever I did would work, and as long as I did what I loved, I would do it! That was the most important part, working out everyday. I did go through periods of the mindset of "I have to rotate cardio, weights, yoga each week." Gack! I was miserable and in pain with a swollen knee. Do what you love, and do it often.
Old 06-23-11, 09:08 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
I did have a really good diet, and still do, but it was a lifestyle change, so I don't see it as a diet anymore. I just realized that whatever I did would work, and as long as I did what I loved, I would do it! That was the most important part, working out everyday. I did go through periods of the mindset of "I have to rotate cardio, weights, yoga each week." Gack! I was miserable and in pain with a swollen knee. Do what you love, and do it often.

Just curious what your favorite yoga dvds / instructors currently are.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 09:14 AM  
sunday

Right now I am "rotating" the following, with rotation to me meaning doing what I feel like:

Tara Stiles's Daily Yoga, Yoga Anywhere and Elle Yoga
Tari Rose's Hard Body Yoga
David Swenson's Short Forms and First Series
Namaste Yoga Season One
Raviana's Solar Power and Bootcamp Flow

I put together new combinations of these everyday. Love them! These are the only ones I've been using for several weeks now.
Old 06-23-11, 09:27 AM  
goldillocks

Quote:

Good luck!
I consider Ballet and Belly Dance as low impact cardio (if you take all the jumping out of the ballet !).
Belly Dance is a great low impact cardio workout especially as I get better at it and can shimmy for longer periods
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 11:12 AM  
sunday

Yeah, for some reason belly dance does not bother my knee; although with shimmies and things you are mostly standing in one place. My knee injury is weird! Walking does not bother it either, but I hate doing walking workouts. The ballet was toning only, standing and floor work in the form of Ballet Boot Camp mostly. I could not do the choreo stuff. I've learned what my knee can and can't handle, and work within that range.
Old 06-23-11, 11:24 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie View Post
Hi, I haven't posted in a long time but had been recently lurking and wanted to know if anyone had good or bad results with a no-cardio, strength/toning only rotation maybe alternate with pilates/yoga?

I was planning on doing 5 days of toning (30 min sessions only) with no cardio and see what happens. Any opinions? Thanks! (ETA: Assume my diet is pretty clean)
I tend not to do cardio. A few years ago I did a short "rotation" of alternating Jari's Slim & Lean with segments of 10 MS Pilates Perfect Body on alternating days. I did this for a few weeks (had borrowed these from the library) and I remember getting nicely toned.
I don't think you *need* cardio to lose weight. My toning workouts actually burn more calories generally.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david swenson, hard body yoga, no cardio, rotation, rotations, slim and lean, weights only