Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-11, 05:37 AM  
juberann

I love the idea of being a mimimalist and I strive for that every day. I hate clutter.................with a passion, always have but getting worse as I get older. I believe less is more. I also have a long way to go but I'm working on downsizing. Not buying anymore exercise equipment, doing more trading nowadays (that doesn't actually get rid of any DVDs but at least I'm not adding to my already massive colllection).
My goal is to move into a smaller place (not a larger place which I know is what most people strive for) sometime soon and since I have such a dislike and intolerance for clutter much of what I have will have to go. I plan on keeping only the workout equipment I actually USE, much of what I have I don't even touch.
Old 06-19-11, 06:09 AM  
adrien_73

I have been downsizing a little, and it does feel good to clear some space!

However, it has only been a month or two since I traded in 150 of my DVDs to Amazon. I am already finding that there are several that I wish I would have kept!

Just be careful in deciding what you decide to clear out!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 06:19 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
My goal is to move into a smaller place (not a larger place which I know is what most people strive for) sometime soon and since I have such a dislike and intolerance for clutter much of what I have will have to go. I plan on keeping only the workout equipment I actually USE, much of what I have I don't even touch.
That sounds like me. I hate clutter and I would like to move into something smaller and more compact.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 06:40 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73 View Post
I have been downsizing a little, and it does feel good to clear some space!

However, it has only been a month or two since I traded in 150 of my DVDs to Amazon. I am already finding that there are several that I wish I would have kept!

Just be careful in deciding what you decide to clear out!
That's why I'm putting all my unloved dvds in a box in my closet. Some of the "better ones" (Cathe, etc) I am hoping to trade for Turbo Fire Advanced. but for now if I turn my nose up at them they are banished to The Box.

Equipment for now is tucked away in the garage. I don't have very much equipment compared to a lot of people, but my fantasy for a while has been to be like the infomercial people who put all their stuff in a drawer out of sight when they are done.

And Judy, I don't want to move to a smaller house but I sure as heck don't want to have to move to a bigger one! My house is less than 1,500 square feet, not including the basement, and both my husband and I grew up in smaller homes with more kids. It is certainly doable, but it takes constant vigilance and trips to Goodwill.
Old 06-19-11, 07:29 AM  
Vee

I turned what I thought was minimalist when I joined a gym a few years ago. I got rid of a lot of equipment. Then I moved to another country and decided to pare down even more. I own a yoga mat, three pairs of dumbbells, a stability ball and two dynabands. I don't miss the equipment, except perhaps a bench for chest press or chest flys.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 07:42 AM  
imhere2dance

I also hate clutter. I recently got rid of a lot of videos, but then I ordered a bunch more. Oops. I'm trying not to buy anything else unless I'm positive I'll use it and really enjoy it.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 08:57 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I turned what I thought was minimalist when I joined a gym a few years ago. I got rid of a lot of equipment. Then I moved to another country and decided to pare down even more. I own a yoga mat, three pairs of dumbbells, a stability ball and two dynabands. I don't miss the equipment, except perhaps a bench for chest press or chest flys.
Vee, you are my hero. Except for the stability ball, you can probably put it all in a drawer.

Old 06-19-11, 09:19 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I declutter everything in my life. I toss clothes, dishes, housewares, you name it... except workouts and equipment. In that dept., I am a total hoarder. I've tried in the past and ended up reacquiring almost everything. I admire those of you who are able to do it, though. When I moved to Europe a few years ago, I got by on two pairs of dumbells and a step, but I was so happy remembering that I had other stuff tucked away in my parents' basement. When we were reunited five years later it was like reuniting with old friends... ah, the memories... (cue cheesy music)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 10:26 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am working on decluttering but am afraid if I get rid of too many dvds I'll end up re-purchasing. I don't have a ton of equipment--dumbells, stability ball, a few bands.

I struggle with other areas of my life--past hobbies that since fitness has become my only hobby. I have four kids and our family is very active so I need to be realistic about what I am able and interested in doing. Do I hang onto quilting/stamping/craftsy stuff? I can't see getting back into that stuff for a good 15-20 years.

Jackie
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-11, 11:32 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I would like this too, I have between 75-80 workouts, I have a few listed on Amazon which might bring it below 75 if they sell. The other day I listed some VHS on Share the Wealth, most of which I have replaced with DVD. The others I took off because I decided I didn't want to part with them after all. 2 of which would be hard to replace if I wanted them back, I figured it's only 6 VHS which I have room for. I may not do them often anymore but will hang on to them just in case, I suppose if I don't reach for them in the next several months to a year then I will reconsider unloading them.

As far as equipment goes I have 6 pairs of dumbells (3-15 lb) and one 20 lb bell. I also have a high step and club step, a couple bands, a set of weighted balls, a stability ball (which deflates), a barbell (which comes apart), and a Transfirmer which I may consider parting with. I like having it as a bench but between the High step and Club Step I have enough risers to make a bench if I wanted it. I am toying with possibly getting rid of the stability ball and barbell but since they can be compacted to save space, I will probably hang on it. The bands and weighted balls (3 lb pair) don't take up that much space.

So I agree with other comments, minimizing is very tempting, just be sure before you unload, which I am sure you will be.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, equipment, vidiocy, vidiocy recovery