Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-11, 02:51 PM  
naturallove

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I am going back and forth with myself, as I am about to do a LOT of traveling this summer, move cross-country and start a new faculty position in the fall (where I will be earning considerably more $$ than as a postdoc!!) My mom just told me she was sending me money for my birthday so I still don't know whether I'll get one today or wait...such delicious raw recipes I could conjure up this summer!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 02:53 PM  
dela

LOVE my vitamix, big vote here for yes buy it. My father's has lasted with very frequent and heavy use for over 10 years, and mine is going on 3-4 years with daily use, most days more than once. I use it primarily for smoothies with frozen fruit or just ice, but I broke 3 blenders before this one, so the up front cost is a lot, but in the long term, it will save me money.

One note about using rinds, I have used lemons or limes occasionally in smoothies with just berries and water, and blended it with the rinds on. I have no idea if there is any health benefit, but you really get a great intense taste from them. My father has also made his fruit drink in a huge batch in the AM, and then drinks it through the day, he also adds ginger to his, he was the one who gave me the idea to leave the rinds on the lemons or limes.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 03:00 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I am going back and forth with myself, as I am about to do a LOT of traveling this summer, move cross-country and start a new faculty position in the fall (where I will be earning considerably more $$ than as a postdoc!!) My mom just told me she was sending me money for my birthday so I still don't know whether I'll get one today or wait...such delicious raw recipes I could conjure up this summer!
I would say that if you're mostly just hesitant about when to buy it, then this time of year is probably the best time to do it, because you'll have access to so much more fresh, local, organic produce. I suppose that will probably depend on where you live (I'm spoiled in the Pacific Northwest), but I think it will be true on some level anywhere you are.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 03:47 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Congrats on the faculty position and the $$ too.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 05:45 PM  
DachsieDogMom

I bought one from QVC earlier this year and got it on easy pay. I don't regret getting mine at all. I use it daily and I love it.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 06:15 PM  
wendy2

My husband got me one for my birthday in January, and I have used it at least once every day since then. Green smoothies every morning, frozen margaritas this weekend, mayo, nut butters, hummus... This is the best kitchen tool I own--I LOVE it!
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-11, 06:18 PM  
Terry

We decided on the BlendTec over the VitaMix, then found out that at least one major restaurant chain also uses only the BlendTec (for their milk shakes). We use it at least twice a day and sometimes as often as six times a day.

Our Ninja is boxed up for one of the kids.

Go to You Tube and search for "Will it blend?" or "BlendTec". The guy puts golf clubs, hockey pucks, magnets, marbles, cell phones, and other odd things into the BlendTec and it shreds them.

If I had purchased a VitaMix or a BlendTec long ago, I wouldn't have spent $100 five or six times trying to find a cheap blender that would make great smoothies and slushes.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 03:59 PM  
lundquist93

I've had one for a few months now and LOVE it! And, we use it daily.

A great thing for me is being able to hide vegetables into smoothies that my little boy will drink. Clean up is a snap. And the best part is there aren't a million little gadgets and parts that come with it.

Also keep in mind that even though it's a big machine, you can get rid of your food processor and other mixer/blenders. This machine does everything.

Good luck with your decision!
lundquist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 05:40 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundquist93 View Post
Also keep in mind that even though it's a big machine, you can get rid of your food processor and other mixer/blenders. This machine does everything.
I disagree,

For me, it is not a sub for a food processor. There are some jobs, such as chopping (or using the shredder attachment, which I never do) that a FP does better (or that a VM can't really do at all).

Anything blended, creamed or liquified = Vitamix. Anything chopped, shredded or chunky = food processor. (Sure, you can shred potatoes and onions in a VM, but you have to add water and it's more of a work-around than something it's really built to do).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-11, 05:56 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I disagree,

For me, it is not a sub for a food processor. There are some jobs, such as chopping (or using the shredder attachment, which I never do) that a FP does better (or that a VM can't really do at all).

Anything blended, creamed or liquified = Vitamix. Anything chopped, shredded or chunky = food processor. (Sure, you can shred potatoes and onions in a VM, but you have to add water and it's more of a work-around than something it's really built to do).
What kind of FP do you recommend?

Tags
blenders, ninja, vitamix