Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-11, 05:48 PM  
naturallove

Vitamix: Am I crazy for thinking of getting one?

Whole Foods is demoing Vitamixes until tomorrow. They have them on sale for $450 ($499 for stainless steel base). It looks like such a great and versatile machine! At the first demo I had cashew butter, sorbet, Thai Ginger soup and a fruit smoothie (peels and all!). I dragged my SO back today and we had a fruit smoothie and more Thai ginger soup. I am about to move and probably have no business getting one..but I thought I'd post here to see what people have to say about this appliance!
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 05:49 PM  
cristinalatina

I don't have one Tiffany but I'd really love one and I've hinted my husband many times to no avail
Old 05-29-11, 05:57 PM  
cpcathy

If money is no object, then go for it. If it was me, I would forgo it and stick with my food processor, or perhaps a Ninja. There was a thread in the Recipes section here about how much people like their little Ninjas for smoothies, and they were a lot less than $450.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:01 PM  
Amazon

I bought a refurbished one, and it's a great little tool to have in the kitchen. I do not regret the purchase at all. Everyone in my family uses it.

And if you love smoothies, it's a no-brainer, because I burnt out four or five blenders making smoothies before I got the Vitamix. The Vitamix can handle almost everything you throw in it.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:03 PM  
2ndgen

If money isn't a problem then what would be wrong with having something you want.

For me, I love my Magic Bullets (plural as I have more than one set) that do all of the same things for one person at a teeny fraction of the cost of a Vitamix, but I think the Vitamix is very nice.

Looking at the Ninja.
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:21 PM  
momofcha

I just got one & I'm not completely sold on it. You can get a "refurbished"/return one from them directly for $100 cheaper. I've made some smoothies & it works well, I'm just not sure I'll get the full benefit of it...

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:32 PM  
kali1

My Mom had a Vitamix for 10 years. Funny thing is, she never used it. She used to call it "The Monument".

It was nice enough but it's so loud that you expect the thing to take off when you turn it on.
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

For me, it's been very worth the money! I got one for Christmas and I think there have been only two days since then that I have not used it. All I do is smoothies, so nothing all that fancy, but my veggie intake has increased a lot!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:56 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Ninja fan here. But I have never tried to make nut butters with mine. Smoothies and soups are great. We make "snow" a lot with ours, crushed ice like you just don't see. Dribble it with fruit juice or even soft drinks, fabulous.

If you aren't sure if/how you will use the Vitamix, though, I would go with something like a Ninja to make sure you WILL use it, and then go for the Vitamix. These special offers are not all that uncommon.
But again, if money is not an issue, go for the VM.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-11, 06:59 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I have one. I haven't used it to it's full potential (I need some good soup recipes). However, I've used it for smoothies and I have been impressed each time. I like that I can put the whole fruit in there and that it purees so smoothly.

In all, I'm glad I have it as I had been wanting one for years.

Tags
blenders, ninja, vitamix