Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-11, 03:25 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Question Modified push-up

What's your favorite way to modify your pushups?

Using a ball, the wall, a table, your knees?

How did you work you way up to a full on push up?

if you have a video link to your fav, please show me that also. I want to start pushing myself to do this.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 03:44 PM  
buffmama

I started with my 10 lb hand weights on top of an 8 inch step. I just left the step up in position and did a few everyday. I think I did them off the step with a workout and then just kept going. Have fun!
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:48 PM  
Happykatie
VF Supporter

I used to love finding new ways to modify push-ups.

1. Hands on a step.
2. Squat rack with side safeties. You can pick your level.
3. Knees on the way down, toes on the way up. (or opposite.)
4. If you have a way to hang a stretch band from higher up, put the band around your hips and it suppports some of your weight. (not a strong band)
5. Knees, shins or feet on a bosu or ball.
6. Once you can do one good one, start standing, walk your hands out to plank position and do 1,2,3,4, or 5 before walking your hands back and standing up again. (learned that from pilates.)
7. Try to do fewer knee push-ups. Push-ups need CORE strength. When a workout called for more pushups than I could do, I would just hold a plank.

HTH
Jenny
Happykatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:36 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I think I can start with the planks. Those are hard for me to hold in position already. Never mind when they start rotating and having you lift an arm up to the ceiling.

I got rid of my bosu so can't do that one.

I do have a ball so maybe I'll bring that up or get a smaller one cause the one I Have really seems to be big for me and i'm too cheap to want to by another good one. Sure Ocean State Job lots have them but I'm sure they are not as good as my Fitball.

Okay. on the steps. you must be at the landing and you push up according to the one you can reach the best?

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-07-11, 07:52 PM  
alisoncooks

I've never been able to do a toe-pushup. Until today....I did 2! (And all I do for upper body strength is barre...lots of planks and pushups and such). I think one thing that has helped lately....stop modifying on my knees. Instead, I do just micro-bends (pushups from my toes, but just barely bending my elbow). Eventually I could bend a little more and more.

I still can't go all the way down, but enough to make me happy!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 07:55 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

that is a tough exercise. Especially if we are not strong in the core and shoulders. Congrats on your first (exercise) achievement for this year. !!!!

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-07-11, 08:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I use the staircase in my house which is near my exercise area. I just keep going lower. Another thing I did when doing them from the knees was to elevate my knees on a 6 in step. This makes knee push ups harder than when your knees are on the floor, but not as hard as a full body push up.
Old 01-08-11, 08:50 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

I do mine on my Fluidity barre.

I was watching QVC on Christmas day (how lame is that??) and there was a prerecorded *interview* with Tony Horton and I caught a portion where he was talking about pushups. He said to start with if all you can do is just crack your elbows, just do that to start your strength gains. I have not tried that, will get more used to doing them on Fluidity barre and move on from there!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 08:56 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

thanks Pam. I had to visualize that. I see you use it as a table. I think when I went to a gym they had me do it on ledge, and push back. I just can't remember how close to the wall or way my feet were suppose to be in order for it to be effective.

~~~Cheryl

Old 01-08-11, 11:07 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
thanks Pam. I had to visualize that. I see you use it as a table. I think when I went to a gym they had me do it on ledge, and push back. I just can't remember how close to the wall or way my feet were suppose to be in order for it to be effective.
You can use a kitchen counter too, if you have enough room. Start with your shoulders over your hands so your arms are straight up like they would be if you were on the floor. Move your feet back and try a few different distances from the counter/table til it's not too easy, but not killing you either.

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
push-up substitutions, push-ups, pushups