Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-10, 09:59 PM  
Buzzer

Yes. I am uncomfortable. My DH will come into the room to see what I'm doing, and I always pause and ask "what?" It's like a meditation for me, and he interrupted!! I get into my zone when I work out.
I have no trouble at the gym or in a class, but I don't like to have someone just walk in on me.
However, if he wanted to join me (yeah, right!) I'd be comfortable with that!!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:19 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I have had a full audience for the past ten years -- DH, 2 sons, my daughter . . . At first I was embarrassed and then I decided to get over it. Now my oldest son (he's 22) is midway through his second P90X rotation, my younger son (he's 20) works out at home and my daughter is active and healthy (hates DVDs). It was worth the embarrassment!

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:21 PM  
KathAL79

It's just me and dh - and the cat - at the moment.

I wouldn't say embarrassed so much as self-conscious during certain things. When dh and I are in the gym we can ignore each other. However, if I'm doing something at home that involves lots of bending over and/or bouncing around, well, he's gotten himself banned from my workout space during those types of activities.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:38 PM  
RedPanda

Luckily I have my own workout room. My hubby rarely comes in and interrupts me - the first time he came in, I was doing a Pilates roll-over and he exclaimed, "OMG - Should you be doing that!?!"

The second time, I was doing kickboxing with weighted gloves and he was scared off.

The third time, I had just finished yoga and was lying there in shavasana with my eyes closed. He came in to ask me something about the dinner which he was preparing, realised I didn't want to be disturbed, and figured out the issue on his own. Over dinner he said, "I came in to ask you, but you were doing something I don't understand" (a reference to the Tammy Wynette song "Stand By Your Man")

But he does realise that I feel a bit self-conscious about working out and respects that.
Old 07-28-10, 10:49 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

LOL at the Tammy Wynette reference between the two of you, RP!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 10:49 PM  
TexasMama

I'm not self conscious in front of DH or my boys, really. I've worked out in front of my Dad a little, when we were visiting him, but I was a little uncomfortable about that. I don't know why, though. My dad's always told me that my exercise habits and lifestyle show how disciplined I am. My father places a great deal of importance on discipline.

I think I would be self conscious working out in front of most people. That's one of the reasons I've never really been interested in joining a gym. Then again, I'm very shy and don't enjoy a lot of attention. My wedding day was one of the most mortifying days of my life (though it was a very happy day), because all eyes were on me. But at least I didn't have to do a workout DVD during the ceremony!

A pedestrian is a man in danger of his life. A walker is a man in possession of his soul. -- David Mccord
TexasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 11:00 PM  
sophie kat

count me in as one of the embarrassed people. I wouldn't want to do tae bo or any sort of dancey workouts in front of my SO, or anybody who doesn't workout to videos. I guess if i was doing the bar method it wouldn't be so embarrassing, but still. i don't want or need an audience while i work out. i like to be alone so i can focus. if you're not going to do it with me, you don't need to watch.

my SO pretty much leaves me alone so i can workout, but he did watch me stretch once just out of amazement at my flexibility. it's not that great, but compared to his flexibility i look very limber, ha ha.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 11:03 PM  
StrongFree&Happy

I like my privacy so I workout in my bedroom. In some ways i feel like i have a "secret fitness life" that my family doesnt know about! I would be embarrased if they found out about my exercise habit -i think they would find it strange. A few other family members either go to the gym or run, which seems more acceptable, easier to understand.
StrongFree&Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 11:33 PM  
Sophie

I don't feel embarrassed*, but I don't like my concentration broken if there's choreography or if it's yoga, and I certainly don't like interruptions or people getting in my way.
My rule is "you can do this along with me, but you can't sit and watch" (toddlers with crayons and coloring books excepted)

*except T-Tapp. That's the only thing I've felt a flash of embarrassment doing.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 02:08 AM  
CarlaShanti

I work out in the living room, so if hubby isn't actually doing the workout with me, he's in the room with me on the PC or whatever. He just ignores me and if he walks past he's careful to avoid getting punched or kicked. LOL I make no promises that I will be able miss him, if he walks through a workout it's at his own risk!

The only workouts I won't do in front of him are dance workouts, not that I have many. I am impaired dance-wise, so what the people on the telly are doing bears little resemblance to my flailings. It's embarrassing. He walked in on me one day, stopped and commented, 'Get down!'. I was so embarrassed I stopped the DVD and fled the room! I don't do those unless I'm absolutely certain he won't be around. Silly me.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, house guests, mononucleosis, self-conscious