Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-10, 02:10 PM  
gwinter

I'm having a garage sale...

Why do people look at your fitness dvds and equipment and smirk??? Please tell me I'm not alone and when you have garage sales do people make you feel funny having dvds and equipment. LOL

Glenda
gwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 02:15 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

They are smirking because they don't know you actually use them and have made the judgment that they are not for you for now.

They think you bought them for a New Year's resolution/a summer-is-coming resolution.

It is not you they are judging, but remembering their own purchases that they never used and are putting you in the same category as they themselves. Little do they know that people actually do use those things.
Go figure, huh.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 02:19 PM  
gwinter

Thanks Renda! You definitely made me feel a little better. I did have my shining moment when a lady came and looked at my dvds and asked my opinion on different dvds and what's good. She bought two and made my day!

Glenda
Old 06-05-10, 03:22 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Red face

I stopped putting them out at our yearly yard sale. I always felt that I was being judged. I have a big collection that I have aquired over the years and some equipment and most of it did get used! Some times, I would get asked, did you actually do this? Sometimes I think that they think you should look like who is on the cover. Now, I just take them to the local library, or Good Will store.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 03:29 PM  
Buzzer

I agree with paideiamom, they think it's out there, pretty much new.

I think everyone assumes we are all like them... get exercise stuff, use it a week, get rid of it. They don't realize how used this stuff really is, and that's we've UPGRADED and are putting our old starter stuff out there for them, and apparently it is STILL above them.

I don't smirk, I try to hide my excitement so they don't decide to charge me double
People here don't seem to put DVD's out at sales, nor do they donate equip or DVD's to Goodwills. I don't know what the problem is.
Hope your sale is successful, and your stuff goes to people that will actually use it!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 03:34 PM  
gwinter

I just sold my Supreme Pilates! Ha! My DH and brother didn't think I would sell it and they were mocking me. I actually had two offers! Now I can do a little happy dance.

Glenda
Old 06-05-10, 03:50 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
I don't smirk, I try to hide my excitement so they don't decide to charge me double
Haha, this is me. So much so, yesterday I helped at my church sorting donations for a youth group yard sale....well, I came home with an Urban Rebounder and a Tony Little Rocking stepper (sorters got first dibs!)

I grinned all the way home (until I saw DH's face....then I just grinned bigger )
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 03:55 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Yeah, I tend to volunteer to sort or I donate and walk in at the last minute of donation time to see what they have. I also will go at the end of the day and pay half price because the fitness stuff usually does just sit there.
Yes, I know these are usually fundraisers and I will often pay extra, but the bargain hunter in me has to have those as two separate things: I will pay this and I got a good deal; and I will donate this and do a good deed.
I know it is the same pocket book, but it appeals to different parts of my personality.

At garage sales, I just act cool and dismissive, then move in for the kill.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 05:54 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPLYN61 View Post
I stopped putting them out at our yearly yard sale. I always felt that I was being judged. I have a big collection that I have aquired over the years and some equipment and most of it did get used! Some times, I would get asked, did you actually do this? Sometimes I think that they think you should look like who is on the cover. Now, I just take them to the local library, or Good Will store.
You should just say, "Yes, I did do the workout. Let me show you!" Then demonstrate your kickboxing form on their butt!
Old 06-05-10, 06:28 PM  
Denise

When I stop at garage sales the first thing I ask is "Do you have any exercise DVD's or videos or exercise equipment." It's really the only thing I'm looking for at them. I wish I lived near you I would have checked out what you had to offer.
Denise

Tags
equipment gathering dust