Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-10, 10:17 PM  
fitmummy

Tonique is just a great workout, you should try on Exercise TV and see if you like it or email Sylwia/she always reply to emails/ questions/she tought me the secret of getting into shape - hard work, and the moves she puts together simply work
fitmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 02:51 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
See, that's what I'm thinking. Cardio drills (with or without a rebounder), many reps of lunges and squats with variations, and your own cool music... what do you need a video for?
You absolutely don't!

I do it this way myself a lot (have the moves written down)... but, I always end up cheating

i find myself doing a lot less reps and/or doing it slower (less cardio effect) and it isn't as fun because i have to concentrate on the counting rather than zoning out to the music and the movement.

(I keep on meaning to edit my own song list and train myself to work it at a certain speed with the video so I can eventually do it properly without...

Even though I have the discipline to do it myself, it gave me respect for why we like to work out to videos.)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
YI do it this way myself a lot (have the moves written down)... but, I always end up cheating ... Even though I have the discipline to do it myself, it gave me respect for why we like to work out to videos.)
Oh yeah, I should talk... I DON'T have the discipline to do a tough workout like that on my own, lol.

Anyway, at least one could follow your lead and turn down the Mentos girl and use one's own music. Oh and I'd forgotten there was a mat (floor) element to the first Tonique. Would you say the upper body/abs get better results from the first Tonique or the second?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:53 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Oh yeah, I should talk... I DON'T have the discipline to do a tough workout like that on my own, lol.

Anyway, at least one could follow your lead and turn down the Mentos girl and use one's own music. Oh and I'd forgotten there was a mat (floor) element to the first Tonique. Would you say the upper body/abs get better results from the first Tonique or the second?

I don't really feel the mat on the first one is tough at all -- unless you do it at the end of the workout (after all those endless squats and lunges) and then you just want to kill her!

Abs, I think, are worked equally in all the workouts in that if you're really digging deep you are using your core (abs and lower back) to stabilize yourself. It works the same way as BBL in that way, kind of an unexpected bonus.

(You still probably need to add real ab exercises of your choice into the mix... Personally, I am staying away from trad exercises until I get rid of the current layer of blubber. Instead, I've been supplementing with Maya Fiennes' Kundalini and have been happy with my increase in strength. As someone who hates ab exercises, this has been a godsend!)

The arms for these, ugh... I know 2.2 seems to have more arm exercises but they are the high rep, low weight kind and I see them more as an added cardio element rather than an arm workout... I really think the arms are used to add an element of instability, making you work your core harder, and for the aforementioned cardio effect.

Will you get some results in the arms? Sure, probably, but I honestly consider that a bonus rather than a given. I don't think you can consider this an full-body workout, nor is it marketed as such. And I don't really think it would be smart to add heavier weights, trying to sneak that in, because she goes way to fast for proper form.

So you have to add a proper upper body session as well.... People have requested that Sylwia do one and I believe she may put one up on her Tonique Channel, free of charge. (I've been slacking lately because my elbow has been twitchy with all this packing for the move, so I only add in one session of my old standby, Cory Everson's Get Hard [when I'm good, I do it 2-3 times a week]. Plus, I do the unweighted section of TA Mat almost daily, though that's as much for pain relief as anything else.)

I have rambled, haven't I?

There are some people who prefer volume 2 (with the two workouts and Sylwia's lovely personality), but volume 1 is my preference. It's better for those with twitchy knees and such as it allows you to do something different for the drills (or do them on the rebounder) rather than interspersing the high impact here and there. I also like being able to concentrate on one exercise at a time because I feel my form is much better and I'm less in danger of hurting myself whilst still giving it my all... (Also, it's much easier to follow if put on your own music -- a must, IMO!)

Maybe if I didn't have these creaky old bones I'd like volume 2 better -- but I do, and they like to protest, so the premier version gets my vote all the way!
Old 04-30-10, 06:54 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I think Jari's ripped workout (the newer one with 2 30-min workouts and lots of compound moves) is very Tonique-like.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:09 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Thank you, in paris! I'm still looking at Tonique with dread (), but had already considered Tonique 1 to hold the most appeal for me so you confirmed my thought.

Lorna, thanks for the comments about Jari. Talk about dread - I gave that DVD away, lol. Truthfully, I couldn't take that depressing set and the whole workout moved too fast for me.
Old 04-30-10, 07:17 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Lorna, thanks for the comments about Jari. Talk about dread - I gave that DVD away, lol. Truthfully, I couldn't take that depressing set and the whole workout moved too fast for me.
I dread Jari's and Sylwia's. Hehehe. I have to find a strategy to enjoy doing their workouts. Jari's are doing wonders to my UB. My UB is where I need the most help on.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:22 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Thank you, in paris! I'm still looking at Tonique with dread (), but had already considered Tonique 1 to hold the most appeal for me so you confirmed my thought.
So don't get it! Seriously, I felt that way initially and passed on it... When the time was right, I got it, stuck with it, am happy with it, and I'm keeping it

Maybe the moment will come, maybe not, but it's absurd to buy something that you already dread (other than the fact that it really is better than the silly clips, especially when you can shut that Orbitz girl up!).

I'm a firm believer in doing something you enjoy -- that way you'll keep doing it!

Tonique was a bit strange for me in that it was initially kind of an eat-your-veggies type of workout that changed into one I look forward to... (still kind of unsure how that happened, but it did).
Old 04-30-10, 07:29 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Oh I agree! Not ordering it now... just thought the first had the most appeal.

Lorna, my upper body is crying out for help as well, lol. Actually I'm an overweight hourglass (rather apple-y now), so prefer to focus on total body stuff.
Old 05-07-10, 01:27 PM  
hulabug1

I'm new to this forum but, have lurked here for YEARS. I just ordered Tonique from Mary after reading all the great reviews here on VF. I can't wait to get them! Right now i'm doing the new Slim in Six and I just started Burn it Up this week. I really like the new dvds!
hulabug1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-bandwagon, bandwagon, kathy smith compilations, tonique