Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-10, 09:21 PM  
alisoncooks

In an effort to resist Tonique...

I am compiling a list of workouts one may already have that are lower-body intensive with a cardio effect...(which, from what I understand is the *magic* of Tonique). As I've never tried Tonique (I'm sorely tempted though!), please add to this list or point out if any of my suggestions miss the mark!

I'm just getting tired of wondering if this is the MAGIC BULLET that'll shrink my thighs & tone my rear...I think I already know the "magic formula"....it's a matter of application.

Instructor ~ Title (description)

Gilad ~ Power & Grace ("...combinations of plyometrics, isometrics and functional moves that will help increase your strength, speed and stamina...")

Stacey Lei Krauss ~ WillPower and Grace (17 minutes of "choreographed lunge and squat-based cardio —- fast-paced, wide-ranging movements that burn fat as they strengthen your lower body, taught at three different levels, often including optional upper-body arm motions")

Suzanne Bowen & Leah Sarago ~ Ruah Warrior ("...integrate simultaneous lower and upper body movements to elevate the heart rate and increase calorie burn. Warrior combines unique variations of plies, lunges, squats, and leg balances to challenge the lower body...")

Debbie Siebers ~ Burn it Up (this comes to mind, but I don't know if it is lower body intensive, per say)

I know NOTHING is going to be identical (or as long and grueling) as Tonique, but these are just what came to mind. Thoughts? Or is TONIQUE just that much better?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 09:51 PM  
Darisa

Alison, If you want to try Tonique PM me and I'll lend it to you.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 10:16 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Debbie Siebers ~ Burn it Up (this comes to mind, but I don't know if it is lower body intensive, per say)
I think Firm It Up is the super lower body focused SS workout.

There are so many lower body workouts to choose from. (I've just ordered Michele Olson's Perfect Legs, Glutes and Abs.) Personally I know I would dread Tonique far too much to ever keep it in a rotation.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 12:28 AM  
DebbieRN

Well I wanted a mat workout for a long time but couldn't stomach(!) Tracy Anderson, so that's my excuse for ordering Tonique Mat from Mary. I already do squats and lunges so the other Toniques didn't interest me. I also have an iffy right knee, so I don't need something that will make it worse.
DebbieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 03:32 AM  
in paris

Alison,

I love Tonique but I don't think it's a magic bullet per se. It was the right workout at the right time and got me into doing something I've avoided for years because of iffy knees (squats and lunges). The way she phrased the workout allowed me to slowly build up to match her pace, both protecting my knees and building them up.

The magic to her workout, I believe, is that you can feel yourself getting better each time you do it -- making it slightly addictive and rewarding, all at the same time. Many of us who like it are sticking to it -- hence the results.

But any of these other workouts you've mentioned may be fine (or even better) -- why bother asking when you can just try them and see if they work for you? If you already have them...?

If you don't, why are you trying so hard to resist Tonique? I mean, it's not that expensive....
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 07:02 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

It is on Exercise TV on Demand. It is edited to 30 minutes but if you have this on your cable you can try it. That's what I plan on doing today.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 07:09 AM  
trishthedish

Yeah, why dont you just give it a try Alison? You know its just gonna nag you and nag you until you do! And if you don't like it, you can always trade it or return it to Mary! Silly girl! Or I could loan you my copy too, if you want!
Old 04-29-10, 07:13 AM  
Buffgirl

Tonique is not magic bullet....

Tonique is not magic bullet is hard work. The "secret" is the 30 reps per set, and a lot of sets...and since is lower body focus you are working the biggest muscle's in your body creating a calorie burn.

I think Burn it is way too easy, Firm it up is the only one that compares but for me is too long, boring and does not have the cardio effect. I had all Slim in 6, that may work for a beginner, the Slim Series, is the only one that compares but it does not provide the cardio effect for me that Tonique does.

Power and Grace it is too easy for me, I got rid of it right away.

I have no opinion on Rauh Power as I don't have this workout.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 08:33 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for all the feedback. The workouts I listed above are either ones I have or have tried...just trying to get a gauge on Tonique (to compare, see if it'd be too difficult, etc).

I don't have ExerciseTV on demand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
If you don't, why are you trying so hard to resist Tonique? I mean, it's not that expensive....
You're right, it's not....but this time it's Tonique...before this there was BBL...before that.... (see where I'm going?) So THAT does get expensive. I'm resisting Tonique so hard b/c right now it's a "bandwagon" getting lots of raves. I'm trying to figure out b/f I take the plunge, if this is something I can stick with or would be able to do.

Thanks ladies for all the feedback and offers
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 08:51 AM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
It is on Exercise TV on Demand. It is edited to 30 minutes but if you have this on your cable you can try it. That's what I plan on doing today.

Patrice
I've searched on Exercise TV on Demand & can't find it. Anyone know what category or how to find it please??

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti-bandwagon, bandwagon, kathy smith compilations, tonique