Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-09, 12:09 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
How about doing the plank to push-up progression? Anthony DiLuglio also calls these the "super plank" on Firepower. You start out in plank position on your hands then go down to your forearms then back up again. Alternate sides or do some starting on your left than the same amount starting on your right. This probably works your core more than your arms and shoulders but its worth a try.
Sometimes we do this in boxing class for a three-minute round. Full plank, down on one elbow, back to full plank, down on the other elbow, rinse and repeat. It's definitely a core exercise!
Old 12-13-09, 02:19 AM  
traceym1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Sometimes we do this in boxing class for a three-minute round. Full plank, down on one elbow, back to full plank, down on the other elbow, rinse and repeat. It's definitely a core exercise!
These are tough! Lalo Fit does these, start on elbows and then move to hands and back down to elbows 10 times I think.
Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:03 AM  
Yogadad

Quote:
How about doing the plank to push-up progression? Anthony DiLuglio also calls these the "super plank" on Firepower. You start out in plank position on your hands then go down to your forearms then back up again. Alternate sides or do some starting on your left than the same amount starting on your right. This probably works your core more than your arms and shoulders but its worth a try.

Leslie
Those are really cool!

Tony Horton also does something like that, I think in one of the Masters series programs (maybe Core Cardio or UML... I can't remember). He may do it in reverse, like a sphinx to a plank...

Either way I remember for sure that it was really difficult!

Take care,

Scott
Yogadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:08 AM  
wendy2

I'm interested in subbing for push ups, too. However, I can't put weight on my right wrist. I've been doing elbow planks and roll outs on the stability ball to sub for straight arm planks and pikes on the ball... But for push ups, I find that just subbing chest presses and chest flyes isn't nearly the same challenge. I may be able to do some of the substitutions listed in this thread. I'm just not sure they will be challenging enough, as I've been able to do at least 20 pushups on my toes for a long time.

Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks so much!

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 11:01 AM  
KathAL79

I'm terrible at push-ups, too, thanks in part to a wonky elbow that can't handle a lot of weight in some pushes, including the push in push-ups.

I make sure to balance out with corework like planks when I do chest presses. And I go as heavy as I reasonably can in whatever rep range I'm doing - I'm talking about reaching for a barbell - for chest presses. Just a thought: if you want to develop the strength to push yourself off of the ground, you're going to need to work on strength, which usually means fewer reps of heavier weights, with rest time in between sets.
I've been throwing in other compound pushing moves, too, like assisted dips (note: these are contraindicated for some folks, like those with some shoulder issues), to help strengthen my triceps and get them working together with my chest muscles.
And don't forget to balance all of this out with pulling movements like rows.

I find the modification on the stability ball helps me, too.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 11:04 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogadad View Post
Also, a cool variation w/ a swiss ball is to actually place the ball against a wall and do standing push-ups w/ you hands on the ball. When you find just the right body position (leaning towards the ball) your whole core should start "talking to you! ".

Whenever I first show this to my clients they look at me like "what will that do for me", but when they find that "Sweet spot" their whole mid section starts to shake from trying to maintain stability. Plus the unstable surface of the ball really fires up a lot of other muscles in your arms and upper torso to help you stabilize while you are doing the pushup.

Oh, one way you could incorporate the core more if you absolutely don't want to do pushups is to do resistance tubing presses from a split stance position. So you'd anchor the tubing into a door (make sure it's a heavy duty door that can lock, like a typical front door or garage door), then place one foot in front of the other in a standing position, walk out until you feel suitable resistance and then do your presses or flyes.

This position engages your core as a stabilizer since you are in a standing position and don't have a bench to stabilize you.

You can vary it by pressing one arm at a time, either all one side then the other, or alternating.

You can also just hold the handle in one hand, place the other handle on the door knob (but make sure it is very secure (this works best with flexible handles and probably won't work w/ the molded plastic ones as well) and walk out until you feel the resistance.

Then from there do one arm presses at a time from a split stance position. If you're working the right arm, the left foot should be forward. This really engages the core.

A further variation is to add rotation, so as you press forward you rotate the back foot as you press, so this adds a dynamic core component to it (the other way works the core from a stability standpoint which is VERY important).

Hope this all made some sense

Best,

Scott
Scott, thank you SO MUCH for those variations. They sound doable for me with my bad wrists. I loved pushups and can't do them now - these suggestions are valuable!!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 01:13 PM  
glowacki

Quote:

Leslie
This exercise is also in Barry's Bootcamp.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 01:14 PM  
videofit

Because my hiatal hernia was bothering me, I couldn't do crunches so switched to planks. I also bought Perfect Pushups which makes pushups easier on my wrists and shoulders. As a result, pushups became easier to do, which is a good thing, since almost every Margaret workout features them. I still hate them but my upper body looks better.
Old 12-13-09, 03:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
Have you tried them against a step, a higher counter or in a doorway? Can always increase intensity with a band around the back .
I loathe floor push-ups. Don't believe anyone who says they get easier with time!!! I tried for years and then gave up. Why do something I hate when I can work my chest other ways?

I do them on a counter or step. Oddly enough, I like planks.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 03:07 PM  
OrangeSofa

I hate them, too, but I know they're good for me. Thanks everyone for the inspiration. Good thread!

"The cha-cha is no more ridiculous than life itself."-Whit Stillman
OrangeSofa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
push-up substitutions, push-ups