Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-09, 04:20 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Yikes! Is it worth the very hefty pricetag?
Is it the be-all and end-all of knee rehab/strengthening?
(Then maybe I'll bite).
For $108.98, I would rather hire a trainer. To each their own...

Somewhere I read that you should be in the same position when you land as when you jump.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 05:41 PM  
RedPanda

Bulletproof Knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Yikes! Is it worth the very hefty pricetag?
Is it the be-all and end-all of knee rehab/strengthening?
(Then maybe I'll bite).
Kathryn - it was well worth it for me. Mike is considered one of the gurus of prehab/rehab in the bodybuilding/powerlifting world and Bulletproof Knees is pretty much considered the be-all and end-all of knee rehab/strengthening in those circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
For $108.98, I would rather hire a trainer. To each their own...
As someone who ended up with an extremely painful shoulder injury, which still affects me 2½ years later, after following a program developed by three trainers (the second and third just followed the template developed by the first without question) I think I'm better off following Mike Robertson's advice. He rehabbed his own knee injury (skiing) which required surgery, then returned to powerlifting.
Old 10-06-09, 08:11 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

The price tag for Bulletproof Knees sticker-shocked me too. However, I have to say, if I had knee pain and wasn't getting satisfaction otherwise, I'd absolutely consider it worth $100. I pretty much rehabbed my own shoulder using the 7-Minute Rotator Cuff Solution, which is now out of print and I guard my copy jealously because I consider it worth its weight in gold.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:27 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
The price tag for Bulletproof Knees sticker-shocked me too. However, I have to say, if I had knee pain and wasn't getting satisfaction otherwise, I'd absolutely consider it worth $100. I pretty much rehabbed my own shoulder using the 7-Minute Rotator Cuff Solution, which is now out of print and I guard my copy jealously because I consider it worth its weight in gold.

Considering that an initial consultation with a physiotherapist costs about $85 and my woeful experiences with physiotherapists, I consider Bulletproof Knees a bargain.

But I must add that, given my lower body issues, I already suspected that the slight knee pain I was feeling when I ordered Bulletproof Knees was due to muscle tightness and less-than-optimal hip and ankle mobility, and that turned out to be correct. If I suspected an actual injury, I would have seen a physiotherapist.

Following the Bulletproof Knees program has done wonders for my lower body training.
Old 10-07-09, 09:11 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebella View Post
He's a cool dude, for sure. And he looks great. Thanks for posting.

I did say *most people*, not everyone. There will always be those in their seventies and eighties who are still doing amazing things sports-wise, but most of us back off a bit.

I ran my first marathon at age 47, so never say never about taking up the sport. I'm 50 now an d I have noticed a definite decline in my endurance in just the last three years, but I'm not panicking: I am just going with the flow.

It's not that you can't do the things you love as you get older, you just have to take a little more care.
Agreed, Suze. I love reading about older people and their athletic achievements - but the fact is that masters athletes at the elite level are a small and self-selected population, with better than average recovery and recuperative abilities and robust joints. Good on 'em, and I cheer them on all the way - but we can't fool ourselves into thinking we all have the same capabilities.

Course it doesn't hurt to try - as long as we respect what our bodies feed back to us. I know an awful lot of lifelong runners and athletes that simply can't, or don't, anymore due to repetitive/overuse injuries, knee replacement, hip replacement - and they definitely didn't get them from sitting on the couch.

Interestingly - I was recently involved in a study on ultramarathoners about a month ago - as a research assistant, not a participant! and was amazed, and inspired. It's not a young person's sport. Most of the racers were boomer age, plenty were in their 50's and 60's.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 09:59 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Course it doesn't hurt to try - as long as we respect what our bodies feed back to us. I know an awful lot of lifelong runners and athletes that simply can't, or don't, anymore due to repetitive/overuse injuries, knee replacement, hip replacement - and they definitely didn't get them from sitting on the couch.
I know a lot of people in their 60s and 70s who have been really sidelined by those same injuries. It's hard to figure the right road for you because it's such an individual thing. And some of those I know with those injuries were pretty good at ignoring pain, but not all.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 10:17 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

For me the trick is to be in my body as it is - not go into denial or become cynical, just radically accept what exists - then look to make positive change. Self acceptance is the key to all positive change.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageing, boomers, plica