Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-09, 08:46 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

I'm not so quick to exclude a skiing accident from the roster of fitness injuries. It may not be a repetitive stress injury - but its one of the things that happen to active people. it must be addressed, and its typical of the type of thing that requires attention in the aging process- Cathe's knees are a vulnerable area caused by a prior injury, and they will likely limit her future in one legged hops on the step.

For me the important focus is accepting and understanding my 54 year old body as it is today. I don't want to coddle my body, or abuse it. I take care of it - whatever it takes - slow or fast.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:04 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe View Post
(For those who don't know, a number of years ago, Art Carey, who is a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, wrote a column that put a negative spin on using exercise videos. Lots of people from VF wrote to him, and it ended up with Art taking a private session with Cathe which nearly killed him. After that, he wrote another column which had him basically eating crow.)
I almost quit VF over that, y'all ticked me off so much. I had been reading Art's column for years; if you had, too, you'd have understood his approach to exercise and why he said what he did. I'm not surprised that he went to Cathe; he'd pretty much do anything, and she was definitely not the first or only person to kick his ass - and he loved it. The first video personality to do so, IIRC, was Baron Baptiste. Baron was training the local pro football team, so Art went and checked it out, and was humbled. He was always self deprecating, and enthusiastic. He ran, did free weights, and loved physical labor, which is me in a nutshell.

I digress. I agree that it's a bit of sloppy journalism; nothing new for the Inky. They've never let the facts stand in the way of a good story. That said, I don't disagree with what Cathe said. I believe in alternating easy and hard days; I have a chill day (yoga class), and an off day every week. Right now I'm slightly out of norm due to (non-exercise related) injury, but that's my usual.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:22 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Old Art Carey

Lots of VF folks made peace with Art Carey. He sent me an e-mail after the big brouhaha here (I think he personally e-mailed all or most of the people who e-mailed him, which is amazing.) He was gracious and funny in the message and I ended up liking the guy. If I remember correctly, so did Cathe.

I have no idea if he is still writing his column, though.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 09:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
I'm a year over the boom (64) and agree it's wise to modify certain activities to save stress on aging joints. But really, it may be true that this generation takes exercise injuries to the doc these days, but in my mother's generation people accepted lessening of mobility as inevitable and often didn't take their aching/stiff knees or creaky/painful backs to the doctor -- oh, I remember the complaints about lumbago, rheumatism and on and on and on. It was assumed that getting up from a chair would become effortful in your 60s. I remember hearing "I don't have arthritis" with a "yet". People were considered "too old to do..." at about 50.
Great, thoughtful post, Sharon. And I do agree that we need to be more careful as we age - not necessarily to slow down, but to respect our bodies with more time warming up, preparing and stretching, and even (at least sometimes) taking things down a notch or several. I think too many people take that whole "60 is the new 40" b.s. quite literally.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 11:16 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C View Post
Cathe's knees are a vulnerable area caused by a prior injury, and they will likely limit her future in one legged hops on the step.
How do you know that Cathe's prior injury (plica syndrome, I believe) isn't completely healed? I shattered my ankle playing tag with my kids 12 years ago. It took two surgeries and a full year to heal, but it's been 100% fine since it healed and it certainly is not a vulnerable area. I run a lot and do other high impact activities and my ankle has never been an issue.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just sincerely wondering why you think that - sometimes it's hard to tell in print.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 11:39 AM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebella View Post
Well, we boomers aren't a new species and we aren't made of iron. Some moderation and slowing down as we age is inevitable for most of us. There will always be outliers (Jack LaLaine) but most of us won't do at 50 what we did at 25. And we won't do at 75 what we did at 50.
Am copying / pasting a link to a CNN video about a 70-year-old man who is competing in his 163rd marathon today in my hometown Twin Cities Minnesota. Please take note that at 48 I have never run a marathon and have no plans to do so. Maybe when I'm 75 I'll take up the sport.

However, I love Cathe, I love Shaun T, I love impact, I love heavy weights, I love intense cardio and I truly believe that will be the case when I'm twice the age I am now.

Here goes -

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/liv....marathon.kare

A-Jock
Old 10-04-09, 01:42 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

He's a cool dude, for sure. And he looks great. Thanks for posting.

I did say *most people*, not everyone. There will always be those in their seventies and eighties who are still doing amazing things sports-wise, but most of us back off a bit.

I ran my first marathon at age 47, so never say never about taking up the sport. I'm 50 now an d I have noticed a definite decline in my endurance in just the last three years, but I'm not panicking: I am just going with the flow.

It's not that you can't do the things you love as you get older, you just have to take a little more care.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 02:17 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
How do you know that Cathe's prior injury (plica syndrome, I believe) isn't completely healed? I shattered my ankle playing tag with my kids 12 years ago. It took two surgeries and a full year to heal, but it's been 100% fine since it healed and it certainly is not a vulnerable area. I run a lot and do other high impact activities and my ankle has never been an issue.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just sincerely wondering why you think that - sometimes it's hard to tell in print.

Erica
Well, you're right - I don't know. I thought I was being charitable - attributing it to the accident - rather than repetitive stress.

Here is how Cathe is quoted:

Quote:
Cathe Friedrich, 45, co-owner of Four Seasons Health Club in Glassboro and an instructor, had inflamed tissue in a knee from daily hammering in the aerobics studio. DiNubile operated in 2006.

"After 40, the injuries start creeping up faster," she said.

Overuse is one of the main causes. At the same time, the benefits of exercise come from pushing limits. "It's a fine line," Friedrich allowed. "As we get older, that fine line gets finer."
I know whats happened to my own body - the areas of vulnerabiltiy, and the bodies of my students. I know, for instance, that my rottie-mix lost a toe a several years ago. At first, after the initial rehab - it wasn't noticeable, but now that he's getting older he limps and does better if I bind his paw.

I know - looking in the backyard, that my flowers and vegetables look different at the end of the summer then in the beginning.

You do the best with what you have -but its important to recognize the aging process for what it is. I used to be a step-junkie, as of a few weeks ago I've decided its out for me - even very basic step - it hurts my knees. I have always tried to be careful with my knees. It could be genetic, or something I don't understand physiologically - but it is what it is.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 02:26 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajock View Post
Am copying / pasting a link to a CNN video about a 70-year-old man who is competing in his 163rd marathon today in my hometown Twin Cities Minnesota. Please take note that at 48 I have never run a marathon and have no plans to do so. Maybe when I'm 75 I'll take up the sport.
A-Jock
LOL---me too! That'll be something to look forward to !
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 07:20 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

As much as I love Cathe, I just dont have the oomph to do most of her long tough workouts anymore. I am 46, the tail end of the boomer generation. I now have more aches and pains than I care to mention I also find myself reaching for workouts that I once thought were not "tough" enough, such as Leslies, and the Whfn workouts. I still do a few of her workouts from time to time, you have to love Cathe! Will always be a huge fan!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageing, boomers, plica