Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-09, 03:00 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
My question is, what's the alternative? If we all sit in our recliners and gain weight, is that not itself going to lead to another set of injuries and illnesses?

Face it, bodies do age as they get older. That is going to happen whether you work out or not. Seems pretty self-evident, yes? So you can keep working out but work out SMART (longer warm-ups, longer cool-downs, more stretching, less impact, regular rest days), or you can throw up your hands and quit.

I'd rather be my (active) 46 years old than my mom's inactive 46 years old. I think if you compared my aches and pains to her you would find that mine are less.

Interesting that Cathe had knee surgery in 2006. I had no idea.
Susan, you put it beautifully! I guess we just need to moderate some. My dad was an avid jogger, started before Dr. Cooper made aerobics well-known. He really pushed his body hard. Maybe if he'd had his knees both replaced when he was younger and found less punishing (pounding) ways to exercise (and have fun), he'd be able to get around better. He's just worn out...not surprising at 88. At least he's still in his own home. And he is pretty healthy.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now...I'm not a jogger like Dad, but I can't sit still any better than he can either
Old 10-03-09, 04:54 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:

That was what held up her "sash series" for over a year. There are a few multiple-page threads about that

Cathe had knee surgery at least once before that; some of her videos zoom in on her scar, which always made me cringe.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 05:59 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Cathe had knee surgery at least once before that; some of her videos zoom in on her scar, which always made me cringe.
Wow. Her surgeries don't seem to have slowed her down.
Old 10-03-09, 06:02 PM  
Janga

I am WAY older than you and think you are completely right!

Workout smart at any age but no throwing up of hands to quit.

Quote:
My question is, what's the alternative? If we all sit in our recliners and gain weight, is that not itself going to lead to another set of injuries and illnesses?

Face it, bodies do age as they get older. That is going to happen whether you work out or not. Seems pretty self-evident, yes? So you can keep working out but work out SMART (longer warm-ups, longer cool-downs, more stretching, less impact, regular rest days), or you can throw up your hands and quit.

I'd rather be my (active) 46 years old than my mom's inactive 46 years old. I think if you compared my aches and pains to her you would find that mine are less.

Janga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 06:45 PM  
muddjeansgal

What I think is kind of funny is how this is about the injuries and training smarter and Cathe's STS looks to be filled with lots of impact.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 07:27 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:

Wasn't that from a skiing injury? If so, that wasn't workout-related.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 08:48 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:

That's what I was trying to say Susan. In my mothers day you were considered "old" or at least "oldish" by the time you were 60. I would rather see people try to push that envelope than not. That doesn't mean everybody should be doing high impact step or hi/lo after a certain age. But there are many joint-sage types of exercise we can persue. I myself wish I had never done high impact step/hi-lo or weighted standing leg stuff -- I think my knees would be younger now without that. But that's me.

What I can do are almost unlimited push-ups, wheels, handstands, blablabla
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 09:17 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
That was what held up her "sash series" for over a year. There are a few multiple-page threads about that
I went through a phase of disillusionment with Cathe about that time.... so I didn't read any Cathe threads. It must seem quite incredible that I missed it, but I did! lol. I "rediscovered" Cathe this summer and did Step Jam and Power Hour more than any other workouts in June, July, and August. That might be a clue as to how "out of phase" with Cathe I am! Although I am very interested in some of the STS cardio workouts and want to acquire Muscle Endurance now...
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-09, 03:10 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Wasn't [Cathe's knee surgery] from a skiing injury? If so, that wasn't workout-related.
Well, yeah. I have just read the article and I think it's sloppy journalism. It conflates the type of overuse injuries people get from, say, running or high-impact aerobics with injuries due to accidents, like falling off your bike. People can fall off their bike at any age.
Old 10-04-09, 08:28 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Well, we boomers aren't a new species and we aren't made of iron. Some moderation and slowing down as we age is inevitable for most of us. There will always be outliers (Jack LaLaine) but most of us won't do at 50 what we did at 25. And we won't do at 75 what we did at 50.

I don't think we should stop or give up, though. Exercise has always helped both my mental and physical acuity and don't intend to abandon it. At the same time, I won't be stupid about it; lots of stretching and foam rolling for me.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ageing, boomers, plica