Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-08, 01:50 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Not OT: No Electricity in the House but....

As only a true vidiot would understand.....

We lost power last night due to a bad ice storm up by us, and it appears we're still going to be without power for a portion (or all!) of this weekend.

And the first thing that enters my mind is not my discomfort at being cold, but HOW WILL I EXERCISE!!!! Obviously, no DVDs - and no treadmill - not even my old Stairmaster.

Ah, but my mind keeps working....what can I do...

And I remember my stationary bike, sitting there collecting dust - I've even tried to sell it on craigslist. But it requires no electricity, just leg power....and ah yes, I also have my Ipod which luckily enough is good and juiced up!

I will still hold onto hope that the electricity might be back on by tomorrow morning...but if not, just knowing I have another option, will at least help me sleep better tonight!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:23 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

laptop with battery power????
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:36 PM  
videofit

I have friends in southern NJ. Is power out in the whole state?
Old 12-12-08, 02:42 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Videofit: No, I'm up in northwestern NJ, on the tip of New York state. Southern NJ is fine.....(at least that I know of anyway!)

Eventmom: My laptop battery power never lasts long, but thanks for the idea!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 02:48 PM  
JustSandra

Terri -- several years ago I had a prolonged power outage at my house. I used my non-electric stationary bike. I also did Denise Austin's stretch tape totally from memory!

Sandra
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 03:02 PM  
Sollamyn

I received a free DVD player when I signed up for DirectTV. It runs on a battery or plug-in. It is a really cheapo model, and I really don't need it that much, but I've thought that it would come in handy, for workouts and entertainment purposes, if the power went out. We have ice storms in this part of the country from time to time!
Old 12-12-08, 03:21 PM  
Tacobelle

You could make up your own bootcamp type workout - jumping jacks for one minute, running in place for one minute, front kick / back kick for one minute... well you get the drift. Or if you've done enough Leslie's, you could probably put together some type of walk-at-home program.
Tacobelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 05:44 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

A good home generator...only my DH always hooks it up to the freezer (full of meat) or fridge, then a fan (it it's in the warmer months, we can use a kerosene heater for colder outages), the tv (for news!!!). The washing machine and the water heater....never mind
Old 12-12-08, 08:36 PM  
bfit

I have an old fashioned battery powered small cassette tape player for just this reason (as well as travel). I put in walking/running music tapes and do Leslie type stuff with light weights or make up my own step routines on my step. I also have a couple of books with exercises in them that I otherwise never use, but if there's no power I do the exercises shown in them.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 09:17 PM  
pbnj

You may find that you've done some videos so much, you pretty much know them from heart. When we had the power outage (2 weeks! ), the red carpet ready club thing was coming out, and I was so bummed that I wouldn't get to see it right away! Best wishes to you.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment gathering dust